FM Rebroadcast on 455.411

Status
Not open for further replies.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
I recently came across what sounds like a rebroadcast of 93.7 WSTW on 455.411. Getting about 22 RSSI in Southern Chester County. Anyone else getting this?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I recently came across what sounds like a rebroadcast of 93.7 WSTW on 455.411. Getting about 22 RSSI in Southern Chester County. Anyone else getting this?

You are correct sir..
WSTW IFB 455.4125 CSQ
I sent an inquiry to the station about 6 months ago.. Surprisingly, I got no response. :eek:
the closest searchable FCC license is for Texas WHE754 :geek:

You might pick this up also..
WJZ IFB 450.3375 C141.3 KPG709 (Ch 13 Baltimore)

tvengr

Well Known Member
TV news departments usually use frequencies in the 450 and 455 Mhz range. If you notice the earpiece that the reporter is wearing, that is for what is known as an IFB feed. The reporter is able to hear program audio for the live shot and the director or producer is able to interrupt that audio and speak to the talent for cueing purposes or to let them know if there is a problem.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
TV news departments usually use frequencies in the 450 and 455 Mhz range. If you notice the earpiece that the reporter is wearing, that is for what is known as an IFB feed. The reporter is able to hear program audio for the live shot and the director or producer is able to interrupt that audio and speak to the talent for cueing purposes or to let them know if there is a problem.
All that is true,
But WSTW FM 93.7 Wilmington DE is not known as a big news source (Top40/AOR).. So why they need to transmit audio 24/7 in addition to broadcasting on 93.7 is still lost on me.. ;)

Fun to hear the christmas music on my scanner in December though. (Even though it can tune 93.7 directly)

Last edited:

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
All that is true,
But WSTW FM 93.7 Wilmington DE is not known as a big news source (Top40/AOR).. So why they need to transmit audio 24/7 in addition to broadcasting on 93.7 is still lost on me.. ;)

Fun to hear the christmas music on my scanner in December though. (Even though it can tune 93.7 directly)

Glad to know it’s legit WSTW and not Billy Bob Joe down the street with a baofeng just broadcasting to broadcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

It's not just used for breaking news from the scene. Radio stations will do remotes for special events, promos, etc.
Do they have traffic updates during rush hour? If they use traffic reporters out in the field, it may be for them as well.
Just some possibilities.

John
Peoria, AZ

wtp

back in the late 80's and/or early 90's i would listen to shadow traffic. 452.975 and 453.0
after 5 o'clock they would check out nyc roads with a chopper to help their bosses have a nice ride home.
that is how you keep your job i guess.look around you never know what you can find.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
back in the late 80's and/or early 90's i would listen to shadow traffic. 452.975 and 453.0
after 5 o'clock they would check out nyc roads with a chopper to help their bosses have a nice ride home.
that is how you keep your job i guess.look around you never know what you can find.

Thats what I try to do, every week or so, just start low and work my way up on SDR sharp see what things I can find.

Sidenote; i saw your PM in my email, but i’m mobile at the moment and RR won’t let me login on my phone for some reason, I’ll reply tonight a bit later once at my PC.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Glad to know it’s legit WSTW and not Billy Bob Joe down the street with a baofeng just broadcasting to broadcast.

We don't really know that it's legit, but probably is.. :giggle:

Most stations using an IFB take it down when not being utilized.. I'm just saying.. Not on 24/7 like this one. :geek:

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
We don't really know that it's legit, but probably is.. :giggle:

Most stations using an IFB take it down when not being utilized.. I'm just saying.. Not on 24/7 like this one. :geek:

Exactly! :giggle:

Maybe I’ll go for a drive and try to find a transmitting location for it :)

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Exactly! :giggle:

Maybe I’ll go for a drive and try to find a transmitting location for it :)

You'll likely find it strongest around Silverside Dr. Between Shipley and Faulk Rds. :D
If it turns out to be somewhere else.. Then maybe it is Billy Bob CR man.. :ROFLMAO:

wa3hdi

That frequency band is also used for STL (Studio to Transmitter Link -- remember the Marti units?) by some stations, so the 24/7 feed would make sense in that case. For WSTW, I seem to remember that the studio was also located at Shipley Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.