Follow up: GPS and HP2 Don't Play Nice (or at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalus

I have recently posted in a previous thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/343028-cant-get-gps-work-hp2.html) about my issues getting GPS location tracking to work with my HP2.

Today I received my Uniden BC-GPSK GPS receiver and anxiously connected it to the HP2 in my car. I'm back here because the scanner is still not seeing (or responding properly to) the GPS signal. The red LED on the GPS puck is flashing indicating its position is fixed and it is receiving GPS signals. The adapter cable is connecting the DB9 and the GPS input port on the scanner.

When paging to the GPS setup page on the Homepatrol 2 shows the format and baud rate but - and this is the key - the next line says 'IGNORE GPS" with a WHITE dot next to it. Plugging the GPS into the socket on the scanner does not provide an opportunity to use or ignore GPS. Whether the GPS cable connected or not makes no difference.

I'm really pulling out my few remaining hairs on this one. We are headed out on a roadtrip Tuesday and it would be great to get this working before getting going.

All ideas appreciated!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
First off, I do not have this model scanner, so this tip (which does work on x36 scanners) may not be helpful.

With your GPS device disconnected, use your menu to enter the zip code for California (I've heard 90210 suggested). Confirm that California data is loaded into your scanner.

Next connect your GPS to the scanner and power up the GPS. After giving the GPS time to acquire satellite data, see if the scanner begins loading data for your area. If it does, then the GPS device and scanner are working properly.

KI4SXZ

I also dont have this radio. But with the 536, there is an option for each favorite list to turn on location. This enables the list to use the gps settings. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marksmith

I think the problems being related by the OP are more basic than turning on location control, and if the scanner is not acknowledging the GPS it is not going to switch from California to somewhere else.

When it connects on an HP2 the radio pops up a,dialogue box saying that it found the GPS and asks if you want to use it. If you say yes, it lights the green GPS light at the top of the screen.

If these things are not happening, changing location control, or expecting it to use the GPS to load local stuff isn't going to happen.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If it only says Ignore GPS, and there are no other options beside/below/above it, then your GPS signal is not reaching the radio. If you haven't already, check Using the HomePatrol with a GPS in the Easier to Read manual; make sure the location format and baud rate are set correctly.

daedalus

Can you see the egg on my face from where you are?

To anybody following this thread in the future: Make 110% sure the mini plug that plugs into the scanner is ALL the way in. What a bonehead novice mistake!

Thanks all - problem resolved: cockpit error!

marksmith

Can you see the egg on my face from where you are?

To anybody following this thread in the future: Make 110% sure the mini plug that plugs into the scanner is ALL the way in. What a bonehead novice mistake!

Thanks all - problem resolved: cockpit error!
Outstanding.

You are going to enjoy this on your trip. You will probably want to trim some of the service types that you are not interested in. Sometimes they monopolize the scan time using the full database.

Just out of curiosity, will your Garmin puck also work now?

Mark

daedalus

Outstanding.

You are going to enjoy this on your trip. You will probably want to trim some of the service types that you are not interested in. Sometimes they monopolize the scan time using the full database.

Just out of curiosity, will your Garmin puck also work now?

Mark

Thanks for your guidance Mark. I intend to go back and troubleshoot the Garmin puck after the holiday trip. I'd be very surprised if I made that error twice - but it's possible. I actually bought a pair of the Garmins online so it should be relatively easy to find the missing link. I do suspect that first puck is down for the count. I would have pursued that track yesterday but my focus was/is getting the system working for this trip. I'll sure report back on my findings.

Oh, I have cut services down to bare bone - just law enforcement for now to improve cycle time.

marksmith

You will enjoy it.

I make a 300 mile trip across a few states on a regular basis. Instead of using the full database, I have created a specific favorites list that uses location control.

I have put just the systems, departments, and frequencies that I want to hear along that route. I then went in and changed the range of these systems and frequencies so that they activate a little faster than the database, as their range is greater. Also fixed the statewide stuff so it's only on in areas where it is active, etc.

Works great. Starts at my place and has all the destination stuff of interest there while I visit, and then reverses the action retiring home.

When I am traveling in areas that I am not absolutely knowledgeable about, I revert to the full database, which has me programming service codes, etc.
Also need to watch out for the nationwide or statewide stuff in the database.

In any case, enjoy your trip. You will find the GPS method of scanning to be very interesting.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.