• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

For ALL you GM OnStar subscribers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

You can request the two-way link be terminated. Personally, I would remove the antenna connection for the OnStar box. (If I owned GM products.)

freqs

I dont have OnStar but do plan on gettin a new GM car that may or may not have it installed I would not pay to have the service.
Why do some people get so upset if they can track the unit I have yet to do anything that great that need anyones to check on .What is it they are tracking for Spy all they want Iam pretty boring

com501

OnStar equipped cars are active at all times, regardless of subscription. Most new GM cars, you MUST find the On-Star unit and disconnect the antenna, since disconnecting the OnStar without bypassing the connector renders the ECM inoperative. OnStar collects vehicle operation data for GM and transmits it all the time. If you get in an accident, regardless of an OnStar subscription, GM is notified and your OnStar is activated to their call center.

Some of the 2011s throw an error code if the OnStar cannot acquire a cell signal after awhile which turns on the CEL. Very annoying. Oh, and quite nosy and a violation of your privacy, too.

com501

Spy all they want Iam pretty boring

This is all fine and dandy until someone decides that something you are doing is no longer boring but illegal and is able to track you down. Why would you NOT want this disabled if you had no reason for it? Why give someone more information about your personal habits than is necessary? OnStar is like you posting on GM's Facebook page every time you get in your car.

freqs

This is all fine and dandy until someone decides that something you are doing is no longer boring but illegal and is able to track you down. Why would you NOT want this disabled if you had no reason for it? Why give someone more information about your personal habits than is necessary? OnStar is like you posting on GM's Facebook page every time you get in your car.
Like I said I dont buy a car because it does or does not have OnStar and am not scared of being tracked . Hell my cell phone can be tracked .And as far as my boring goeing back and forth to work or picking up kids or taking a family trip is not illegal .They can track me down anyways the car is In the owners name .What would in your mind do you think I would be doeing that would raise a red flag to GM ?or those tracking me

com501

Well, for two things I can think of right off the bat....

The vehicle tracks your service record and your speed via GPS.

GM could void your warranty if they want, based on service history, and the state police could send you a ticket based on your driving habits, say if you speed, for instance.

Rental car companies have been billing customers routinely for things like driving off pavement with a rental car, and yes, driving faster than the posted speed limit, all of which are violations of your rental contract.

Since its illegal to use your cell phone while driving now, in my state, I am seriously considering getting rid of it, since a lot of the places I go, I have to leave it at the gate with security anyway, why pay the bill for something I don't use? I don't use it at home, I have a land line, and the cell phone is turned off in the charger in my vehicle. I don't use it at work, since I have an office and a desk. I can't use it when I on base, that's prohibited. So why do I need one? One less way for the government or anyone else to track me.

Simply, just because you 'have nothing to hide', doesn't mean its OK for ANYONE to track your movements. This isn't Russia.

990adv

I came up empty when looking for directions on how to locate the OnStar module in my vehicle. I would like to unhook the antenna and cut the power lead to the OnStar transmitter.

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado but information for others might be handy.

Thanks in advance.

nodak1crdet3

I came up empty when looking for directions on how to locate the OnStar module in my vehicle. I would like to unhook the antenna and cut the power lead to the OnStar transmitter.

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado but information for others might be handy.

Thanks in advance.

Look behind the drivers side back seat, if you have back seats in your truck. You could call a dealership & ask them where it is located. Be careful when cutting any wires that might disable other things on the truck. Check wih a local Auto Parts store to find out where the OnStar box is located.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
For those who have no problem with

GM/OnStar tracking your moves, speed, etc; What it does is invade your privacy. Where you go, how fast or slow you traveled, how hard you applied the brakes to stop, and other info. It's Big Brother looking over your shoulder and writing down in His notebook these facts. Sure, no big problem, but it's just another step in TOO MUCH INFORMATION going to who knows who. I in no way fault you that have no qualms about this, to each their own way.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
DailyTech - UPDATE: U.S. Senators Balk at OnStar Privacy Changes Allowing Sharing of Tracking Data

Big deal. As above, simply don't purchase a GM or Chevy product.

With new vehicles and computers, braking, speed and ect is no big deal. A collision with some newer model vehicles, data can be downloaded to give you speed, braking and ect. Technology increasing with time. It is a fact of life, and newer products.

The law into invaasion of privacy, is convered in state and federal statutes. If it were that bad, would GM need anorther governement bailout from media and society hype from "tracking" consumers and the public finding out about it? Conspiracy and scandal involving GM , most certainly ; if severe would cause its downfall, I would suspect. What vehciles does the U.S Government itself purchase for its various agencys? Hmmmm.

FF - Medic !!!

lazierfan

Premium Subscriber
If the disconnecting of an OnStar disables the ECM (really?), go to a junkyard and pick and pay for an old analog OnStar and connect it instead. Analog cell towers are rarefied, at least in the Rocky Mountain Front Range they are.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
If you drive a GM truck with Onstar

Assuming you DON'T use satellite radio....this is really easy!

Put your lower glovebox down.....release the tab that holds it up. Get down low....look up and to the right....there is your antenna connection for the satellite antenna. Yank it.

Done.

If you DO use XM radio....good luck.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
The Onstar module is separate from the XM receiver. This is the case with my 2009 Silverado. The Onstar module is located underneath the stereo in my truck. They are in different places in different years and trim packages. The problem with pulling the module (the GMLAN interface not the antenna) is the error codes it throws. Not only that... my dashboard looked like a christmas tree. The tach and speedo didn't work either.

I plugged in a Bluestar unit which links my cell phone via bluetooth to the quality speakers and mike in the truck. No errors and handsfree operation of my phone.

This was all before the hype of the tracking being reported. I had already assumed they were doing that.

Last edited:

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
The Onstar module is separate from the XM receiver. This is the case with my 2009 Silverado. The Onstar module is located underneath the stereo in my truck. They are in different places in different years and trim packages. The problem with pulling the module (the GMLAN interface not the antenna) is the error codes it throws. Not only that... my dashboard looked like a christmas tree. The tach and speedo didn't work either.

I plugged in a Bluestar unit which links my cell phone via bluetooth to the quality speakers and mike in the truck. No errors and handsfree operation of my phone.

This was all before the hype of the tracking being reported. I had already assumed they were doing that.
Thanks for the info. That really stinks that they track you like this....I hope someone finds a hack....funny to use the word "hack"...because it's MY truck, and I should have every right to not be monitored in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.