• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Ford 2020 Police Interceptor SUV is high-powered hybrid

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
The 2020 Ford Police Interceptor is available with three different power trains: 3.3L V6 Hybrid, 3.0L V6 EcoBoost, 3.3L V6.

It will be interesting to see which power trains departments choose and what real-world fuel economy they get.

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Not really impressed with Hybrids in PS. The $5k they say you will save is the cost of the hybrid upgrade. We had hybrids for company vehicles and twice they overheated going to mountain top radio sites.
They also have replaced the 3.7l which was a pig on gas with the 3.3l which I think is going to be under powered, the turbo version may have the HP but fuel savings are just not going to be that great compared to a non turbo one. I have the 2.2 ecobost in a Fusion and I get better mileage out of a 6 year old Tarus with the 3.5l non turbo.
IMO most agencies are going to stay away from the hybrid and turbo at least the first year until some other agency goes through the growing pains of those engines.
As far as repurposing them after PS service, the agencies are going to find the resale of the hybrid to be a lot less than the normal ones. That's what we found out figuring the battery pack is going to cost about $4 to $5k to replace.
$41,000 for a patrol car is sick, that's nearly a 25% increase in just 4 years.

That just goes to show you that a smaller engine is not always going to be more fuel efficient. It has to work harder to make up for the lack of power hence, more fuel.
I wonder about that 3.3LV6(non turbo). At least in the F150 is more powerful than the 3.7L that was standard at one time.
Hybrids do have their issues but I would guess they'll work those bugs out over time but that's academic for someone sitting along side of the road with a dead hybrid car.

I've heard there's only around 1000 orders for the hybrid, then there's around 8000 for the other one
That's probably because most dept's want a police car. Not a Honda Prius.

Also, anyone who would buy a brand new hybrid vehicle is crazy anyway, especially a police vehicle outfitted with all kinds of aftermarket lights and electronics! Maintenance will probably be thru the roof, worse so in the colder climates.

Ford has made a lot of missteps in marketing over the last 30 years. Dropping the V-8 Thunderbird, dropping and then resurecting the Crown Victoria (smart move), along with dropping the V-6 in the Mustang. Now pushing smaller engines that now have to scream to make the HP that a larger engine would just coast along on (resulting poorer gas mileage than the larger engine). They seem to model after what they sell in the rest of the world not realizing that the US is a totally different animal.
I am going away from Ford after 25+ years. Looking at a new Durango instead of the under powered Explorer/ Expedition, and maybe a Challenger or Charger instead of the missing Taurus and no longer availage V-6 Mustang.

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
...under powered Explorer/ Expedition...
This is getting off topic, but I own a 2015 Expedition 4WD with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost V6. It is anything but under-powered. Acceleration from a stop, smoothness at highway speed, and fuel economy are noticeably better with this vehicle than the 2011 F-150 with 5 liter "Coyote" V8 or the 2002 Expedition with 5.4 liter "modular" V8 that preceded it in my driveway.

If they had kept the 3.5 boosted or not (I have the 3.7 in a 2015 PD model I bought new) I would be more inclined to purchase another Ford, but dropping the CC by 500 and then having to boost it to recover the HP is not what I would consider a good move. I am not a test bed for Ford's products, and comparing engines that are 17 years apart in not a fair comparison. I too have a 2010 Expy SSV with the 5.4, that is a brute of an engine but not a drag racer. It's much better for towing that a 4 cylnder or V-6 boosted engine. The Coyote in a full size truck isn't a good comparison either to the Explorer.
Ford may find that they lose market share to V-6 and V-8 powered vehicles by other brands. At least until the fuel prices go up again around $4.00 a gallon.

Oh just on a side note, when your water pump goes (all V-6 engines) it's about $2000.00 to repair. The water pump is IN the engine and requires a tear down to fix. Another Ford dirty little secret, and one of the reasons looking for a new SUV.

Last edited:
Actually a hybrid may be good for big city patrol where speeds would seldom get over 40mph. But the key is long term reliability and durability. As for the CROWN VICTORIA, they never resurrected it. Once they stopped building them in circa 2010 along with the GRAND MARQUIS twin, that was it. As I've said in speculation, if they still built them, It would have likely had the 3.5L ECOBOOST V6 with a non turbo V6 as a lower cost lower power option and perhaps a hybrid version.

Hybrids are used here in NYC, but to use one in such a large vehicle is counter intuitive.
The resurrection took place in 1991, they dropped the line entirely for 6 months and said no more. After a lot of critizisim they then revamped the sheet metal to fit on the existing frame used by the previous generation. In the beginning there were even 5.0 and 5.8 engines instead of the modular 4.6. Using the 6 or 4 cylnder engines would have required a major redesign of the front K frame. As was the case with Dodge in the Fury series, V-8 and 6 K members were totally different. The Crown Vic ran from around 1979 to 2011, and should have been kept as a Govt only vehicle.
Again politics prevail, no other country uses a body on frame car, so as Ford is an international company they went with what is being used outside the US. The Taurus was based on EU version of the Ford Five Hundred, the Mondeo, and contary to what some people believe. It may have been a ground up design, but used a lot of design ideas from the Mondeo.

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
The Coyote in a full size truck isn't a good comparison either to the Explorer.
And, I wasn't comparing it to the Explorer. You were the one who said the Expedition was under-powered. As a counter to that statement, I offered up my direct experience with an Ecoboost Expedition and a Coyote F-150, two similarly-sized vehicles with very different engines.

As for the CROWN VICTORIA, they never resurrected it.
You are correct. Crown Victoria was basically a trim level on the LTD until 1991. The first Crown Victoria, as a standalone model, came out in MY 1992 on the EN53 chassis which ran through 1997. That was followed with the EN114 chassis for MY 1998 through 2012 (2011 in the U.S., 2012's were export-only). The P71 package, aka Police Interceptor, was available during the entire run from 1992 to 2011.

Invariably, these discussions of police vehicles turn to the Crown Victoria and what a great vehicle it was. All I can say is "get over it". The car is gone and it isn't coming back. There is no market for a large rear-wheel-drive sedan except, maybe, for fleets and they simply do not generate enough sales to justify developing a model solely for that market and keeping up with the ever-changing DOT and EPA requirements.

So, let's get back to the Explorer.

Oh just on a side note, when your water pump goes (all V-6 engines) it's about $2000.00 to repair. The water pump is IN the engine and requires a tear down to fix. Another Ford dirty little secret, and one of the reasons looking for a new SUV.
Yep, crazy! The PIU was also plagued with trans problems. Ford won't admit this. But I can tell you that out of 30 new SUV's purchased by a local sheriffs dept last year, 8 of them had trans issues within 15K miles and needed to be replaced. Some of those vehicles are now on their 2nd trans. Let's hope the new 10 speed is more robust, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dodge has a chance to better enter the market with the Durango since it is now several thousand dollars less than the Ford. We'll see...