Ford F350 Super Duty install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcm4368

I just noticed the dirt on the brake pedal too! Can't have it perfect...I wouldn't wanna drive it then. LOL! As for the cover, it's just an amber light bar, I use it if I ever have to move farm equipment at harvest time. So it's covered to protect the lens. Ford started building their own diesel for the 2011 model year. My folks have had a 2000 7.3, a 2006 6.0 and now this 2011 6.7. All were purchased new. I didn't see it in my budget to have a 2011, so this gently used 2009 with the 6.4 works well....it's a vast improvement over the 6.0 the folks had, but it dosen't compare with the new 6.7 Ford. Don't get me wrong, we're very pleased with this truck, but if your budget allows, get the 6.7....you'll like it even more. It's rated at 400hp and 800lb of torque, also it's very quiet and smooth.

tcm4368

Also, thanks for the compliments on the truck....we appreciate it. Search my username to see pix of our other installs.

Trent

tcm4368

Updated phone pix

Here are afew new pictures of our install. Verizon is trying to eliminate any old Alltel phones on their rate plans, and we have been told by several people that it wouldn't be long and our M800s will not work with Verizon. I also tried to have them reactivate one of my old ones as we added another truck to the fleet and I wished to use it, they said they wouldn't reactivate it because it wasn't a Verizon phone. So I decided to eliminate afew phones and go with a smartphone. I removed all out M800s and installed Wilson Sleek boosters in their place. I had to find a SMA to mini UHF adapter to reuse the old antennas, but my local electronics store handled that. I'm hoping we get comporable range with the Sleeks as we did the old phones. Installation was easy, as a hardwire kit is available as an option. i just removed the old phones and tapped in the the power we used for them. In the F350 I wired an 12V socket under the dash and used the lighter cord that comes with the kit. At $20 a piece, I was too cheap to buy hardwire kits for them all. So far I like the smartphone. It pairs up with the SYNC in the F350 automatically for hands free. I also have Blue Parrot headsets for use in the trucks. I really hated the idea of wearing a headset, but after using it, is isn't bad at all, and in the trucks the audio quality is 10x's better than the speakerphone in the M8's no background noise whatsoever. We just wear it during calls, so we are compliant with the new laws.

Trent

Attachments

• 100_1084.jpg
    100_1084.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,927
  • 100_1143.jpg
    100_1143.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3,098
  • 100_1144.jpg
    100_1144.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,948

tcm4368

I enjoy looking at others install pictures too. It's interesting to see other people ideas, and maybe incorporate them into my setup. Or it's nice to recieve compliments that I inspired someone to try what I have done. I'm by no means an expert and don't claim to be, I have no training in electronics and don't even have my HAM ticket eventhough I've got afew friends in town that suggest I join them instead of just monitor. I just take pride in a job done right. I see some posts on the forums that aren't even worthy of a picture, but the poster probably did the best they knew how, and that is the only way to learn. I see others that make mine look like nothing. I look at how my "quality control" has improved since I started installing my stuff as a teenager, and I'm 36 now...even i think I've learned a thing or too! Thanks for the compliments.

Trent

tcm4368

Not with this as it's our own camper/boat and we're not running "For Hire." I've watched enough "Shipping Wars" that I've often wondered if I could make more with my F350 than my big trucks! With the Kenworth, however, we are required to stop if we encounter a weigh station, which is few and far between where we operate.

Last edited:

SFD790

What antenna do you use for the CM300?

Just wondering What antenna do you use for the CM300? looking at getting one soon.

tcm4368

So Sorry, I haven't visited the site for awhile. It's a Maxrad for UHF. I can't remember if this one is non-ground plane or not, I have several in my stash, as our Kenworth trucks are fiberglass. I run the short antennas as they clear my garage door. If we are going to be on the road any time, I usually install the longer loaded antennas.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
curious how you got the antenna coax from the radios to the antennas? I am doing a 2014 F350 right now myself. Looking for the easy ways.

Rick
WA1NIC

tcm4368

I had to go out and look as it's been awhile. There are 3 coax cables and two power wires for lights. I ran everything in a large piece of split loom from the top of the cab rack to the firewall. I drilled a hole in the drivers side door sill plate to run the 3 coax cables through. These are in split loom as well. Once inside, they run behind the kick panel...behind the dash...to the radio console. The hole was sealed with caulk. It's just large enough for the split loom tubing....this allows the cables to be protected as they are not pinched in any way. The power wires for the lights, continued to the firewall. When the truck is sold, everything can be removed and a plug inserted in the hole. I don't want to buy or sell a vehicle that's been punched full of holes or hacked up. One thing to remember. There are many places to tie wrap the cables under the cab. I ran mine right above the frame. Do not attach to the frame. If any major engine work is required, the cab /front clip must be lifted from the frame. So keep that in mind when you make your run.....IE: don't run it on the bottom of the frame rail. We had a minor oil leak on this one that warranty covered. I'm close with my dealer, and explained to them what I had done. The cab was lifted without incident. I'd hate to have someone do a nice install and then have it damaged later.

Trent

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I pulled the center console out of my 2014 F350 this past weekend to start a custom radio console installation.

It is a lucky thing that you decided not to start randomly drilling into your factory console. When I removed mine, I found out that is where they hide the air bag controller ...

air_bag_sensor_s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.