Fort Worth PD will switch to P25 system 01/16/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchman

Any idea when other users of the FW analog system will be migrating to the new P25 system (Sheriff, NRH combined dispatch,etc). I have heard other FW city units on the system and it sounds much better than the analog system. Thanks.

jasday

I usually used my pro106 in the truck separate from my 996xt to listen to FWPD only, since they will be encrypted, I will look at setting up a feed once the system gets up and going.

fwfdengine2

Cool, looks like someone else put up a FWPD, FWFD, MedStar, and Tarrant Sheriff feed.. But fire only will be nice once you get the chance

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Cool, looks like someone else put up a FWPD, FWFD, MedStar, and Tarrant Sheriff feed.. But fire only will be nice once you get the chance
That feed is from the current analog system, which is shortly going away. The feed notes state it is using a BCT15X. The new system FWRRS, is digital, P25 Phase I. PD is in the process of moving over, and also to full time encryption. Over the next year or so, all users of the current Fort Worth/Tarrant County analog system will also make the transition.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Once all users make the transition will they be encrypted?
The only things I know is what has been posted, either in various threads here, or over on the DFWScan group.

The way I understand it, at this point (which may or may not be 100% correct, and of course is subject to change) is that FWFD will not be encrypted. Last thing I saw was that some of the smaller jurisdictions, such as North Richland Hills, Haltom City, etc, were leaning against encryption, but no final decision. I have not seen any specific comments on TCSO; if there have been some, I missed them.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Fingers Crossed

The only things I know is what has been posted, either in various threads here, or over on the DFWScan group.

The way I understand it, at this point (which may or may not be 100% correct, and of course is subject to change) is that FWFD will not be encrypted. Last thing I saw was that some of the smaller jurisdictions, such as North Richland Hills, Haltom City, etc, were leaning against encryption, but no final decision. I have not seen any specific comments on TCSO; if there have been some, I missed them.

I certainly hope FWPD follows Waco PD & Austin regarding unencrypted talk groups. Sure, some encrypted channels are understandable.

When I travel north, I prefer going 35W rather than 35E.

If things open up, this will be a great system.

Last edited:

redhelmet13

I certainly hope FWPD follows Waco PD & Austin regarding unencrypted talk groups. Sure, some encrypted channels are understandable.

When I travel north, I prefer going 35W rather than 35E.

If things open up, this will be a great system.

A letter was emailed to the Citizens on Patrol stating there was a change in the law which restricts what kind of information could be transmitted, another reason was for officer safety and the third was scanners used by criminals... These were the reasons FWPD was going all crypto.

Reason #1 is 100% pure bullscat, reason#2 understandable.... Reason#3: (insert colorful profane language here)

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Agree

The only real need is for CID / SWAT or like to be encrypted in my view.

Freedom of Information Act - Not!

Big Money to Radio Companies - Yes! ( Reason 4)

Just another means to make it real hard to find out what is really going on and the likelyhood of Joe the crimal to haul around a P25 Type II scanner is hilarious - The real bad guys have lookouts and their own Radios I would guess...

But we do have a .00058263 chance it might happen so thanks the Fire Departments are mostly not taking this step...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Prevarication Personified

A letter was emailed to the Citizens on Patrol stating there was a change in the law which restricts what kind of information could be transmitted, another reason was for officer safety and the third was scanners used by criminals... These were the reasons FWPD was going all crypto.

Reason #1 is 100% pure bullscat, reason#2 understandable.... Reason#3: (insert colorful profane language here)

Yes, I've heard LE officers state many reasons for such, but the evidence does not support the contention, officer's safety. I know of no studies or evidence to clearly point to one single case of an officer getting hurt by someone listening to a police scanner. If there are such cases, I am completely unaware.

We will see how this plays out. Of course, this could change. Who knows? In the event FW hires a new police chief, things could change down the road.

mikeb

Sure would be nice to know what the roads are like in Ft. Worth considering the weather conditions

Thanks Chief Halstead!

techguru

Sure would be nice to know what the roads are like in Ft. Worth considering the weather conditions

Thanks Chief Halstead!

If possible try public works freqs, might be able to hear sand/salt/whatever trucks talking to each other.

Last edited:

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned

There is no way Fort Worth police can switch to this new system to the end of this year :mad::mad::mad:unless they are doing testing now.Normally it takes a year or just little over a year to set up a new system.

So you have a year left of listing to Fort Worth police.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Ft Woth Police

Might check this, from my shack in north Tarrant we are no longer able to receive FT Worth PD as appearently they have moved to P-25 (Regional System) and appear Encrypted today.

Receiving other P-25 Systems fine.

Feeds have also been pulled as well for Ft Worth PD as well...

Fire and smaller cities still on analog and others still on 800 Trunking...

All I see is quick "flash" on the screen (HP-1) on the PD channels....

If you have different data please advise.

Bill

patchman

There was an article in the local paper that Roanoke will be moving to the Fort Worth system on March 18th from the current system. Reasons given were interoperabiltiy with Fort Worth on large/major events like races at TMS. Has anybody have any information on this move?

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Might check this, from my shack in north Tarrant we are no longer able to receive FT Worth PD as appearently they have moved to P-25 (Regional System) and appear Encrypted today.

Receiving other P-25 Systems fine.

Feeds have also been pulled as well for Ft Worth PD as well...

Fire and smaller cities still on analog and others still on 800 Trunking...

All I see is quick "flash" on the screen (HP-1) on the PD channels....

If you have different data please advise.

Bill

I had no idea they where encrypted.I'm sure others can say more about this but when I was in Fort Worth they hardly like to dispatch calls over the radio.I would hear send me this domestic ,send me this flight call ,send me this disturbance call so on.I was not impressed with Fort worth PD one bit.May be it was the time of day or dispatcher. So may be most of the time they where not like that?

I find Dallas police and Houston police to be more talkative on the radio.With Houston being the most than Dallas.

The only thing I found Fort worth police over Dallas police is there is way more car to car talking with Fort worth police!! Where Dallas police seem to just like to dispatch calls and very little if any talking about the call.

So I don't know if that had any thing to do with why they want encryption.

redhelmet13

Command staff of FWPD wanted to encrypt everything. So it shall be written, so it shall be done. Looks like more agencies come over to the new system... March is a month for several more to transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.