Forums Searching Disabled from 8/27 - 8/29

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, we're temporarily disabling forums searching this weekend so we can maximize database resources going into the landfall of hurricane Irene this weekend.

We'll re-enable on Monday morning.

Thanks,

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As a temporary workaround, you can use Google with the prefix site:forums.radioreference.com followed by a space, and then the search string. It might not be totally up to date, but it can be helpful.

So for example:

site:forums.radioreference.com PSR-800

site:forums.radioreference.com red cross

etc.

The "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" functions are disabled when vB search is disabled, so there's unfortunately no workaround for that. Gotta go forum by forum checking for new posts!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Another thing you can do, which makes it a bit easier to live without the New Posts function, is to subscribe to the forums you're most interested in. You can subscribe without getting email notifications. What this can do for you is, if you go to your User CP, you'll see the list of subscribed forums, and you'll see the new posts icon next to each forum that has new activity in it.

To subscribe to a forum, go into the section, click on the Forum Tools dropdown box (on the far right side of the blue bar directly under the page navigation links), and click Subscribe to This Forum. Choose the email, or no email, you want to receive, then Add Subscription. Do this for each and every forum you frequent, then go to your User CP to see them all listed.

User CP

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, be cool. We are seeing record traffic this weekend due to the hurricane. The forums searches will all be back monday morning... possibly sooner. We just want to make sure that we dedicate resources to more important things right now.

Thanks for your patience,

Lindsay

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
As a temporary workaround, you can use Google with the prefix site:forums.radioreference.com followed by a space, and then the search string. It might not be totally up to date, but it can be helpful.

So for example:

site:forums.radioreference.com PSR-800

site:forums.radioreference.com red cross

etc.

The "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" functions are disabled when vB search is disabled, so there's unfortunately no workaround for that. Gotta go forum by forum checking for new posts!

In addition to this, you can use the Search function at the very top right of the page which should provide you the same functionality.

Thanks folks for being patient...... we are doing this to make sure that we deliver fast response times to all the visitors that are focused on Hurricane Irene.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
In addition to this, you can use the Search function at the very top right of the page which should provide you the same functionality.

I don't think I ever noticed that search box up there. Oh boy, I'm really losing it.... :eek:

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
I suppose the site makes money with all the CNN linkers but it has made the site to be unreliable in natural disasters.
How about if you could allow the paying subscribers full access and the free members and those who just visit can have the reduced services?

chris

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I suppose the site makes money with all the CNN linkers but it has made the site to be unreliable in natural disasters.

I'm still hearing the feeds, and I'm still getting the forums. What's unreliable?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
How about if you could allow the paying subscribers full access and the free members and those who just visit can have the reduced services?

chris

what?

Confuzzled

What what?

Two events recently have both caused problems for the site. I even asked about it a few days back and got snark from a Mod for my question.

Definitely seem to be reliability issues. Thankfully I don't use it for anything more than curiosity.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I was unable to use the site several times, instead just got the placeholder like when it crashed during the earthquake. I figure one of the news media put another link to the site on their broadcast.
Personally, I think the members of the site should have access that isn't affected by floods of non paying listeners due to a major event. The site ceases to become a valuable resource for information when it is not available.

chris

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Useless is a bit harsh, but it certainly makes for more of a challenge.

I guess I'll go see if I can salvage what I wanted to do.

OCO

At 1:50 A.M. (EDT) I counted a little more than 3500 users listening to the top 6 streams and only 1 wasn't East Coast (Chicago).. Any new records set today?? Gotta be some routers smokin' someplace. I can live without the searching, maybe a few folks listening will connect the dots and ask "what would we hear if this was all encrypted??"

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
What what?

Two events recently have both caused problems for the site. I even asked about it a few days back and got snark from a Mod for my question.

Definitely seem to be reliability issues. Thankfully I don't use it for anything more than curiosity.

Sometimes I shake my head in amazement at some of the assertions people make around here. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.