Found a Good Deal on a Used TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found a used TRX-1 with a W-801 antenna and all the accessories for $300 shipped. Everything I read on the internet seemed like it was an amazing scanner, and for $300 I thought it was a steal. It's in almost perfect condition by the way. I bought it not knowing about the issues with Whistler as a company (just read the discontinued TRX-1 topic on here a few minutes ago). Just wondering how screwed am I or will it be ok as a starter scanner? My county is primarily analog FM for now, with a vote to go to 800Mhz Digital in the near future. I bought it so I wouldn't have to pay extra for the NXDN upgrade (My work uses it) and also I like to listen to a local airport just a few miles down the highway. Thoughts? Opinions? Things I should watch for?

Thanks,
Austin, K8AMD

tumegpc

I have 2 TRX-1's and my county is primarily analog FM too with a little P25. I had the SDS100 and it just couldn't keep up with my TRX-1. The only other scanner/receiver that decodes NXDN better than the TRX-1 is the Icom R30.

tumegpc

Whistler is still alive so far. I just received an email from Whistler telling me that the TRX-1 that I sent in for a facelift is on its way back. I have a GoPro Hero7 tempered glass screen protector ready to go.

wizardofid

I suspect that your "good deal" may have come as the result of someone wanting to buy a new scanner and wanting to sell his/her used equipment... before the "rumor of Whistler dropping their scanner line" caused their equipment prices to drop in too much price?

While it is possible that Whistler may change their marketing stategy and drop their scanner line, I don't think this will happen and I'm betting that they will continue to develop and produce scanners? So much so, that I just bought a brand new TRX-1 from Amazon.

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a new TRX-1 after unloading one last year. I saved all my programming. Its one heck of a scanner. I have the new Uniden SDS100/200 also but missed my TRX-1

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Sounds good, but for another $30 you can get a scratch and dent from Whistler with 90 day warranty.

TRX-1 - Scratch & Dent

They have been out of stock for about a week now, but do occasionally show up. I got my scratch and dent from them a little over a year ago for $300, and it still works flawlessly. I also purchaced a "refurbished" WS-1088 from them about 2 years ago (or more?) for $200 and it looked like brand new as did the TRX-1. I also did the "unauthorized update" to my Pro-668 which converted it to a WS-1080, and it is still working great. So to answer the original posters question, you made a great decision in my opinion.

k5xs

Premium Subscriber
“Will it be okay as a starter scanner?”

It’s far more than that. Its frequency and mode coverage is excellent, and it performs very well. I own eight scanners, and my TRX-1 is my favorite.

As for “the issues with Whistler as a company,” I’d offer their presence in the scanner market is no more nor any less guaranteed than any other company. Uniden is there today (and I own several of their scanners, and I like them), but who knows if some day they’ll bail on the market?

My advice: Enjoy the TRX-1. It’s a great scanner.

svrstorm

Few months ago I hooked up my old pro107 iscan to see if I could still update the database and it worked so I’m not sure who’s taking care of that but I was still able to upload the database

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The TRX-1 is a great choice for a scanner as long as you are not attempting to monitor a digital P25 simulcast system. Then it might not be 100%, but I have to say I used it quite often on my own simulcast system before I go the SDS pair and out of the three scanners I used to monitor that system the TRX-1 performed the best. Great radio! And, I think it decodes DMR and NXDN just fine. You will be happy with that scanner, for sure.

JD
kf4anc

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 TRX radios, and while not future proof they serve me well for my present needs on the MPSCS, DMR and analog air and business.

Status
Not open for further replies.