Found something odd.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabidmoose57

While digging around for antenna ideas, I came across what appears to be a yagi made up of loop elements. I wish I could scan in the pic, it's an odd looking thing, and there weren't any specs to it.Would individual loop antennas make up a useful yagi? And if so, would it be a verticly or horizontally polarized ? I may try to put one together just for the odd looks it would draw! Thanks.

Last edited:

Shortwavewave

I know exactlly what your talking about......just dont know what there called...
Loop Yagi?

I know a guy who has talked 25miles with his 2meter Handheld hooked up to a yagi like that with no repeter

SAR923

Are you sure it wasn't a stacked dipole something like this?

db408.jpg

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Loop yagi antennas are popular with hams who operate on the 33cm and 23cm bands. You can see a picture of one in this PDF http://www.directivesystems.com/PDF/3318LYRM.PDF.

I believe that the driven element in a loop yagi is roughly a wavelength in circumference. That being the case, I don't think a loop yagi would be as practical at lower frequencies because the loop would need to be about 24 inches in diameter.

rabidmoose57

Thats the one.....

Thanks to all, and especially Bill White. I went to the suggested site, and there it was! From the specs it sounds like it could cure some of my reception problems. The compact loop design would fit in well with where I have to put an antenna too. Now if I can get them to give me a price, I may get one soon! Have a good day everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.