"Fox" units

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
last I knew the fox units were woodbridge for south central. lately i've heard fox units doing transports from greenwich hospital and just now heard 2 fox 6 going to wallingford on a job rls. when did the designator change and which service is it. also what is woodbridge now?

KB1JHU

Woodbridge no longer has their own EMS agency. They have a contract with AMR. Fox units are now Nelson Ambulance. On a side note, Access Ambulance in Stamford (formerly owned by Stamford EMS) is now owned by Nelson. I am pretty sure most of their ops are on Marcus' Passport system.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
So then,when AMR signs on with cmed new haven for a call in woodbridge, what is their designator then CHARLIE?

Manny

Last edited:

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
manny, i'm thinkin it may be, jusy may be 5 charlie 44 just a 5 unit replacing the old medic 44. just a guess tho. i heard 5 charlie 44 clearing the hospital the other day hence the guess.

joe

KB1JHU

Both Orange and Woodbridge have EMS contracts with AMR. Both towns are supposed to have an ambulance able to respond in a set period of time. Recently there have been articles in local papers about response times and whether or not AMR is providing sufficient coverage. Orange has 5-charlie-33 (Medic 33) as a dedicated paramedic flycar and Woodbridge has the same with 5-charlie-44 (Medic 44). I have them called by both the Medic and charlie designations. I guess it just depends who is working at the time.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Scott, Joe Thank You!

Let me post this so we are all on the same page. Please feel free to make any corrections:

(?)= unassigned or unsure by me!

Alpha=New Haven PD
Bravo=Ansonia
Charlie=AMR New Haven Based
Delta= Hamden
Echo=West Haven
Fox=?
Gulf=Milford
Hotel=Branford
India=North Branford
Juliet=Oxford
Kilo=Derby
Lima=Bethany
Mike=North Haven
November=?
Oscar=Meriden FD
Papa=Hunters Amb.
Quebec=East Haven
Romeo= New Haven SHAPE team (?)
Sierra=?
Tango=Seymour
Union=?
Victor=Shelton
Whiskey=Wallingford (?)
Xray=Madison
Yankee=Guilford
Zulu=VEMS Medics out of Griffin

What do you guys think?!

Manny

KB1JHU

Here is the list I have:
Code:
Alpha		New Haven Fire 
Bravo		Ansonia Rescue & Medical Services
Charlie		New Haven AMR 
Delta		Hamden FD
Echo		West Haven FD
Fox		Nelson Ambulance 
Gulf		Milford FD
Hotel		Branford FD
India		North Branford FD
Juliet		Oxford Ambulance
Kilo		Derby (Storm Ambulance)
Lima		Bethany 
Mike		North Haven FD
November	Bridgeport AMR units covering the valley
Oscar		Meriden FD 
Papa		Hunters Ambulance 
Quebec	        East Haven FD
Romeo		New Haven SHARP Team 
Sierra		
Tango		Seymour EMS
Union		
Victor		Shelton (Echo Hose, Hook & Ladder)
Whiskey	        Wallingford FD
X-ray		Madison FD
Yankee	        Guilford FD
Zulu		VEMS Units (Paramedic Intercepts out of Griffin Hosp)

Unit type designators:
Code:
1	1st Responder unit (Non-Transport) 
2	BLS (basic life support) Ambulance
3	Heavy Rescues (rare) 
4	Intermediate (I.V.) unit (rare) 
5	Paramedic unit
10	SHARP Team Physicians

Might as well throw up some info about the SHARP Team while I'm here:
SHARP = Sponsor Hospital Area Response Physician
http://www.sponsorhospital.org/aspxpages/SharpTeam.aspx
They are even kind enough to provide the unit numbers each physician would use.

GKENY044

joetnymedic said:
last I knew the fox units were woodbridge for south central. lately i've heard fox units doing transports from greenwich hospital and just now heard 2 fox 6 going to wallingford on a job rls. when did the designator change and which service is it. also what is woodbridge now?

Don't write this in stone but "fox" is Nelson ambulance, Woodbridge is covered now by AMR and are "charlie" units. as far as the unit type's those will change depending on the certification of the responders. 2 units are EMT's and 5 units have a paramedic on board.
so one day you may hear 5 charlie 33 and the next 2 charlie 33.

However, even if a 2 unit responds (as what happens in east haven). when an FD paramedic gets into a 2 unit the designation temporaily changes to the 5 unit desgination.

jb872033

what are the Heavy rescues? are they used for like building collapses and such? i have never heard a unit 5 or 10 dispatched and i listen very often....thanks for any input...

JB

Last edited:

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
jb i'm taking it you had a typo and meant you haven't heard a 3 unit dispatched, you know it's been quite awhile years in fact since i've heard one. are there even any in the area anymore? i think derby had one but not sure. 5 units are dispatched daily and i've only heard a 10 unit twice

KB1JHU

I'm pretty sure this is a heavy rescue:
rescue18.jpg

Derby (Storm) Rescue 18

I have never heard them on the MED channels. Since Derby is dispatched by SC CMED on their own freq, they don't usually switch to MED 10 for much. Usually when one of their ambulances (FD-9 or -10 aka 4-kilo-9 or -10) is transporting they use their own dispatch freq and tell CMED where they are transporting to (usually Griffin) then they switch to MED 1 for the patch. Most of the time if say, a Zulu medic is getting an update from CMED and they reference Rescue 18, they just say Rescue 18 instead of 3-kilo-18.

GKENY044

jb872033 said:
what are the Heavy rescues? are they used for like building collapses and such? i have never heard a unit 5 or 10 dispatched and i listen very often....thanks for any input...

JB

5 units are any paramedic unit on CMED
10 units are special response teams of Doctors.PA's and Paramedics designated as SHARP (Sponsor Hospital Area Response Physician TEAM) you will only hear them in the event of a large accident or other special circumstance,The SHARP Team is available to respond to any type of emergency incident, and is designed to provide medical oversight and assistance at:

Multiple casualty incidents
Complex or difficult extrications/rescues
Greater alarm fires
Hazardous materials incidents
Team members can also assist with triage, treatment, logistics, communications, and rehab. A primary purpose of the team is to provide for the safety and medical needs of emergency personnel operating at incident scenes.
The link below will give you more information on the SHARP team as well as the designators for the team members 10 are physicians and the 5's are paramedics here as well..... for New haven SHARP they use Romeo for the Unit code ex a physiciam would be 10 romeo xx, while one of the EMT-P's would be 5 Romeo XX
I've heard the Team on a few times and they were for bus accidents .

Last edited:

GKENY044

jb872033 said:

JB

5 units are any paramedic unit on CMED
10 units are special response teams of Doctors.PA's and Paramedics designated as SHARP (Sponsor Hospital Area Response Physician TEAM) you will only hear them in the event of a large accident or other special circumstance,The SHARP Team is available to respond to any type of emergency incident, and is designed to provide medical oversight and assistance at:

Multiple casualty incidents
Complex or difficult extrications/rescues
Greater alarm fires
Hazardous materials incidents
Team members can also assist with triage, treatment, logistics, communications, and rehab. A primary purpose of the team is to provide for the safety and medical needs of emergency personnel operating at incident scenes.

jb872033

You are right joe...thanks for catching that, i did mean 3...shouldnt type so fast...lol...very informative, i wasnt aware that CT even had a team like SHARP...anyone think back enough to know when they were last activated? thanks for the input despite my dumb typo...

JB

KB1JHU

jb872033 said:
You are right joe...thanks for catching that, i did mean 3...shouldnt type so fast...lol...very informative, i wasnt aware that CT even had a team like SHARP...anyone think back enough to know when they were last activated? thanks for the input despite my dumb typo...

JB

The last time I heard them go out was for a bus involved in an MVA, probably last summer/fall. I think in most cases they are used to provide on-scene medical control and triage at mass-casualty incidents so regular EMS units don't have to call in for medical control for numerous patients. They are also better trained to decide if a surgeon is needed in the field for special circumstance extrications and such.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Ok! Here is the whole thing with the updates!

South Central C-MED Unit Designators

Alpha New Haven F.D.
Bravo Ansonia Rescue Medical Services
Charlie New Haven A.M.R.
Delta Hamden F.D.
Echo West haven F.D.
Fox Nelson Ambulance
Gulf Milford F.D.
Hotel Branford
India North Branford F.D.
Juliet Oxford Ambulance
Kilo Derby (Storm Ambulance)
Lima Bethany
Mike North Haven F.D.
November A.M.R. Units Covering Valley Area
Oscar Meriden F.D.
Papa Hunters Ambulance
Quebec East Haven F.D.
Romeo New Haven S.H.A.R.P. Team
Sierra
Tango Seymour E.M.S.
Union
Victor Shelton (Echo Hose)
Whiskey Wallingford F.D.
X-Ray Madison F.D.
Yankee Guilford F.D.
Zulu V.E.M.S. / Paramedics -Griffin Hospital

South Central C-MED Codes/Signals

12 D.O.A.
16 Drunk/ ETOH
17 Psych
22 2nd Alarm
23 3rd Alarm
24 4th Alarm
25 5th Alarm
26 Ambulance
29 Police
73 Working Fire
99 Message Received

Priority-1 = Lights And Sirens
Priority-2 = Respond With Flow Of Traffic

1 First Responder ( Non-Transport-Unit)
2 B.L.S. Basic- E.M.T.-Ambulance
3 Heavy Rescue
4 Intermediate
5 A.L.S. -Paramedic Unit
10 S.H.A.R.P. Doctors

Dispatch Response Codes

Omega Amb. Only No L/S (Transport,Lift Assist)
Alpha No L/S- BLS Amb. Call
Bravo L/S- BLS Amb. Call
Charlie ALS/BLS- No L/S
Delta Pri-1 Full ALS/BLS Serious Injury/Med. Cond.
Echo ALS/BLS-Prio-1 Life Status Questionable

Manny

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
I have a question about Nelson Ambulance. Tonight I was in Stamford and had my scanner in close call mode and I heard Nelson talking on 462.0625. Now I know this is a Marcus system because there was the constant keying every second. But when the units were transmitting I heard both sides of the conversation on that frequency. Could it be that they are using just a regular LTR system and not a Passport type system or have I got it all confused?? Anyone have information on this. I checked the FCC and I did not see a license for that frequency in stamford, but there are a few others.
Thanks
Dave

KB1JHU

You can hear traffic from a Passport system if you scan it conventionally, you just can't trunk track the system. You will hear everything that happens to be on the frequencies you are scanning. If there was also a home heating oil delivery service on that system, there is a possibility you would have heard them on that same frequency at some point. When a system isn't busy it is possible to hear almost everything from a particular agency on their home channel since it won't be necessary to shift them to another channel.

If the data bursts are about every second, it is a Passport system. LTR conventional bursts are usually between 5 and 10 seconds apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.