FPP Forest radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golay

I'm going to post this query in the Federal radio forum because I know the radios I'm wondering about came from the Forest Service.

A few years ago (it may be up to 10 years ago, I don't remember) a whole bunch of front panel programmable VHF P25 radios came on the second hand market. A lot of people bought them. I'm trying to remember the make and model. They were rather large, the battery mounted on the bottom, as opposed to the back. And if I remember right, they fell out of favor with many because the battery was rather difficult to find a replacement.

I'm kind of toying with watching for one on Ebay, but like I said, I'm having a dickens of a time remembering the name brand. I know it wasn't a name I see on here much, if at all. I apologize if this is too vague of a query.

Thanks.,

ecps92

Either BK [Bendix King] or Regency/Relms

I'm going to post this query in the Federal radio forum because I know the radios I'm wondering about came from the Forest Service.

A few years ago (it may be up to 10 years ago, I don't remember) a whole bunch of front panel programmable VHF P25 radios came on the second hand market. A lot of people bought them. I'm trying to remember the make and model. They were rather large, the battery mounted on the bottom, as opposed to the back. And if I remember right, they fell out of favor with many because the battery was rather difficult to find a replacement.

I'm kind of toying with watching for one on Ebay, but like I said, I'm having a dickens of a time remembering the name brand. I know it wasn't a name I see on here much, if at all. I apologize if this is too vague of a query.

Thanks.,

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Thales 25 (also called Racal 25) is the radio. No dongles, still available (have 2) and they have fantastic receive ability. The FPP is even better than most ham hand helds. Batteries are expensive, but the radio is milled from a blcock of aluminum.

prcguy

The Racal/Thales T25 is also very thin compared to the BK or Relm radios. You can keyload the DES or AES from a laptop without a KVL. New batteries are about $106. Great radio overall and cheap these days.

Thales 25 (also called Racal 25) is the radio. No dongles, still available (have 2) and they have fantastic receive ability. The FPP is even better than most ham hand helds. Batteries are expensive, but the radio is milled from a blcock of aluminum.

Golay

It's the Racal

Thanks everyone. I googled pictures of the suggestions. It's the Racal I was thinking of. Jaspence and prcguy, any sources for the batteries you can think of? Thanks.

Golay

Surplus inventory

Do you really need two of those? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.