Franklin county

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts548

It won't give you what you need when a major disaster comes and you can't talk to anyone but your own county units because everyone else will be on VIPER. that or you're going to have to be issued VIPER radios for the duration of the event which means your system will be pretty much quiet. In the end, you guys could have bought VIPER radios for less money and been on a system where you actually have interop instead of having to use patches, which suck.

There are ways to do it. If the system is setup correctly using gateways you will never be able to tell who's using what unless your looking at the radio the user is using. This can be done at the system level or your COML's can do it via their gateways. VIPER was never meant to be a counties main communication system for every county in the state, Its built under the premise of Interoperbility throughout the state, I'm guessing since you work for SHP you know that :)

They won't work on VIPER.

In the current state no, with the move to P25 and the 4 sites already working on P25 then yes the Unity's will work.

Last edited:

NCFire11

They won't work on VIPER.

Yep its already been discussed here that the unitys will not work on the current stage of VIPER, but when VIPER also shifts to P25, they will work.

It's like people think VIPER is some sort of god. Its nice, being state wide, but it doesn't solve everything.

jthorpe said:
It won't give you what you need when a major disaster comes and you can't talk to anyone but your own county units because everyone else will be on VIPER. that or you're going to have to be issued VIPER radios for the duration of the event which means your system will be pretty much quiet. In the end, you guys could have bought VIPER radios for less money and been on a system where you actually have interop instead of having to use patches, which suck.

No matter what the implications of not going to VIPER are, it is not something we can change now. Yes there are some cons to the system, but its not as if we are wasting the money totally. I know for a fact right now, that we will be able to interop with at least Nash and Vance counties. They both use VHF system, of which I know Vance has linked to VIPER, I don't know about Nash. That covers the east side of the county, and I'll let the engineers figure out what to do on the western side of the county.

NCFire11

Little update to those who care:

The antennas were going up on the final tower today when I rode by. The mobiles will be going in the apparatus late this month or next month after being put on hold. The Harris reps said things are moving along very quickly and we should be up and running in no time.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Little update to those who care:

The antennas were going up on the final tower today when I rode by. The mobiles will be going in the apparatus late this month or next month after being put on hold. The Harris reps said things are moving along very quickly and we should be up and running in no time.

Thanks for keeping everyone updated :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

NCFire11

Thanks for keeping everyone updated :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Also Marshall if possible can you start a page in the wiki under Franklin county,

FCC Page: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?pageNumToReturn=2&licKey=3342962

call signs that I know of are

WQOR820 -- looks to be the new call sign for the trunked system, effective yesterday
KNCP310 -- the old sheriff channel call sign, renewed Oct 2011
WPMB518 -- an old call sign that expires in 2013
WPGV972 -- old franklin county rescue callsign
KDY428 -- FC fire callsign

Frequencies look to be

Not sure how the frequencies are going to be allocated, but there are supposed to be three trunked channels plus a control channel. Also the analog paging channels?

At the bottom of the Franklin county database page perhaps add

"Franklin County P25 System"

I should be getting all need info within the next few weeks

Last edited:

NCFire11

Tower sites:

#1 911 Center in louisburg
#2 north of Franklinton
#3 8 miles north east of louisburg, just off of NC 561
#4 5 miles south of Bunn, in pilot
#5 4 miles east of louisburg, near White Level

NCFire11

Little map I made, I gave all tower sites the same coverage area, looks to be some coverage gaps. Obviously coverage area should be green right near the site.

fccoverage.png

NCFire11

Little map I made, I gave all tower sites the same coverage area, looks to be some coverage gaps. Obviously coverage area should be green right near the site.

fccoverage.png

I took a look at the tower in the far north-east part of the county(near centerville) and it looks as if it has the microwave dishes pointed towards Vance and Warren counties. Any idea what these are for? And I know there are microwave dishes that the towers use to talk to each other. Anyone care to explain these?

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQOR820 - FRANKLIN, COUNTY OF - Frequencies Summary

Frequencies look to be

Not sure how the frequencies are going to be allocated, but there are supposed to be three trunked channels plus a control channel. Also the analog paging channels?

The license indicates which frquencies above are inputs, and which are outputs, based on the number of units licensed for each frequency. Presuming someone would want the maximum separation between each input and output pair, I'd presume the trunking setup would look like this:

156.0525 in / 151.1525 out
156.0750 in / 151.2200 out
156.1050 in / 151.2800 out
155.4300 in / 159.2550 out

NCFire11

Not a whole lot of new information.

All the infrastructure is in place. Towers, antennas, etc.

Portables have been issued to the departments, but are not really being used that much. Most personnel are still using the HT1250s.

Mobile radios are going rather slow. Some departments have them while others don't. They are being installed as sort of an "as needed" basis.

Testing on the trunking system will be starting in mid July, when the leaves are on the trees.

I should be getting a full talkgroup list soon.

Rolling along good I'd say.

Learned how we will be interoping with other counties until VIPER goes to full p25.

The dispatcher will be able to patch our radios through and some magic happens that lets us talk to them. This stuff is way over my head so I have no idea how it works.

Also, Marshall, can we get a wiki or database started for this system?

Last edited:

NCFire11

played with some of the p5400 handhelds that we will be getting. used them on simplex analog and the audio is definitely not up to par with out current HT1250s. When we switch to digital will they sound better?

Mobile radios are going good, some fire dept chiefs are using the new radios in simplex to get a feel for them.

The minitor III and IV have been switched out for Vs to get ready for the narrowband

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
played with some of the p5400 handhelds that we will be getting. used them on simplex analog and the audio is definitely not up to par with out current HT1250s. When we switch to digital will they sound better?

My guess is that would depend not only on the radios themselves but where the tower sites are located and how well coverage is overall on the system.
Simplex Analog is great for FG Ops but as well all know good audio and full county Coverage
is dependent on many variables. :)
It will be interesting to see how things turn out (and please keep us updated!)
Thanks Brother!
Marshall KE4ZNR

NCFire11

Our dept got the Harris M7300 mobiles installed today.

The current programming is a little "off" but hopefully they will get things straightened out soon.

The mobiles sound pretty much the same as the GM300s/CDM/Maxtracs that we had before, and these all have the external speaker.

They look cool but lets see how they perform....

Squad101

Possible CC?

While standing on a very high hill over looking Northern Wake County at North Wake Landfill Park. I picked up what sounded like a possible cc on 151.1525 with an i.d. of 9A6. The reception wasn't very good but improved slightly as I moved to the side facing Franklin County. I was using a 800MHZ antenna at the time, I will go back later this week with a different antenna.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
I have been checking and I am showing an ID of 0054h-101 P25. I looked in the FCC and that is showing Franklin County. Looks like they are trying to get things going there.

NCFire11

Yep, they said they have have been testing the basic system operation over the past 2 days. Now, coverage testing begins June 1st (tree foilage) to ensure the system meets contracted specifications (95% coverage 95% of the time)..

They are supposedly programming a few talkgroups in our radios next month to allow us to start playing with it...

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Greg, do you recall the frequency you logged that System ID on? Once we figure out which of the two IDs are in use, we can get this info in the database for people to start tracking the system.

On a side note, we're still needing a System ID for Wayne County's VHF P25 system...could one of these IDs be a case of mistaken identity?

Thanks for keeping us informed folks!

NCFire11

I've heard wayne county's P25 system has had a lot of problems so far, but ours they say is going really well. The Harris rep told us last night that they have just started using the system, so its very likely that it actually was Franklin county you heard.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
The Frequency that is showing the ID is 151.1525 and I am getting a strong signal on the 396XT. I have not heard any traffic as of yet but will keep listening.
I will also get you the ID for Wayne County first of the week.

Also the FCC is showing the following freqeuncies associated with this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.