Franklin county

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFire11

I want to say only the T Kemp Rd site is active at this time..

Yesterday they were testing the new analog paging system. They were sending tones over the pagers and it is also patched to the P25 system and I could hear the same traffic over my scanner on wildcard scan.

NCFire11

They are currently testing the new analog paging system(patched to the P25 system). It seems to be narrowband, because the audio is very quiet on my Minitor V, however it still alerts to our tones. My scanner will not pick it up, however it works fine when they talk on the old stuff. Is it one of those "splinter" frequencies or something? I am missing something.

NCFire11

any reason why the CC would come over at 90-99% but the digital voice be very digitized? Its not encrypted because I can make out what they are saying some times.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Well, the RSSI percentage is simply received signal strength. Just because you have a strong signal doesn't mean you have a strong decode. The decoding issues can be caused from a few different things. The primary issue that conflicts with a lot of scanners is the CQPSK modulation scheme, which is used in simulcasts (like Franklin County). Scanners have a terrible time decyphering the digital signals coming from multiple directions at once.

You could also be dealing with overload, you might be too close to a transmitter and it could be causing distortion there. I'm right next to the tower for the Charlotte simulcast so my I have no problem only getting one signal from the closest tower...but I have to keep the attenuation on to keep from overloading. Experiment with the attenuator and different antennas and locations to see what works best for you.

NCFire11

Well i live about 1/2 mile from the new tower they just put up, so I figured that would pretty much take priority over the rest of the towers near me. It really sounds like hell, I can hear the voice of the people talking but it is just so distorted you cant hear what they are saying. I have only used the new radios a couple of times on the P25 system, and it was clear then, so I guess we will see.

Squad101

I am receiving slightly better reception in North Raleigh but it is still not good enough to monitor. I can barley monitor or decode the control channel with unitrunker if I find the sweet spot at the rear of my house. I still recieve the conventional analog dispatch channel loud and clear. Any updates on this system?

trumpetman

Database Admin
Listened for a few minutes yesterday, didn't see any activity or affiliations on Pro96Com for about 10 minutes. Reception was poor for me, but I was right off of 264 at the time.

Squad101

I read on the Franklin Times website that the system is over month away from being "green lighted", but first responders and commissioners gave it a thumbs up last week. The Emergency Communications Director presented commissioners with test results and policies for the new system, but minutes from the meeting haven't been posted yet.

NCFire11

Ok I will try to bring you all up to speed on what I know thus far.

This is the excerpt from The Franklin Times last week:
New radio system given a ‘thumbs up’ by first responders
By: CAREY JOHNSON, Times Staff Writer
The county’s newly overhauled emergency communications system is still more than a month away from being green lighted, but first responders and commissioners gave it a thumbs up this week.

Emergency Communications Director Christy Shearin presented commissioners with test results for the new system and they were impressive, according to those in the emergency response community.

“We’re just ecstatic,” said Justice Volunteer Fire Department Chief Kelly Harris. “When we experienced the testing, we just couldn’t believe it.

“This is something we’ve needed for a long time.”

It’s been on the minds of emergency responders since at least the 1960s, according to the county’s Fireman’s Association.

On at least two occasions in the 2000s, Franklin County either took steps or proposed efforts to improve the system, providing pager response and communications abilities in and around the county’s dense terrain.

Those efforts, though, did not address the problem and provide the kinds of coverage that emergency responders needed.

Two years ago, though, the county contracted with Virginia-based Harris Corporation to bolster the system and they struck a $10.7 million deal.

Harris has provided the infrastructure, equipment and other materials required to improve the system and began testing it in July.

On-the-road voice and signal testing took place in August.

Basically, company staff, with primary assistance from sheriff’s deputies and firefighters, went out to specific areas throughout the county — 1,293 grids — to test signal strength and the voice quality of the system.

“It was a lot of time, work and effort involved,” Shearin said, noting they were out working eight-hour days in the dense, vegetated pockets of the county to test the system.

“There was a lot of sweat and a lot of ticks,” she said. “We went out to get to as many grids as we possibly could.”

Essentially, the industry standard is 95 percent coverage, 95 percent of the time, and that is what the contract specifies.

The results for signal testing showed the following:

• Mobile coverage countywide was recorded at 100 percent;
• Portable outdoor coverage countywide was recorded at 99.93 percent;
• Pager indoor coverage countywide was recorded at 99.85 percent;
• Portable indoor coverage countywide was recorded at 99.71 percent.

The results for voice quality testing (essentially simulating coverage within a building) were as follows:

• Each region within the county scored 100 percent, save for Pilot, which registered 99 percent and Youngsville, which registered 99.6 percent.

“That’s a lot better than 95/95,” said Commissioner Don Lancaster.

Based on the numbers presented, and approval from emergency response leaders, all of whom signed the grid map presented to commissioners as a show of support, commissioners accepted the coverage test results.

Still, the county is at least a month away from completely turning on the system.

First responders have to be trained on the equipment before the system is a full go.

“This is not final acceptance,” Shearin said of her presentation. “It’ll be some time before we get into cutover of the system.”

We are beginning classes to "train the trainer." Meaning, a representative from each fire and ems department is going to attend a class put on by Harris, in which they will go back and host a class for their respective department. The class is to learn the basics of trunking system, since most citizens are new to the technology, and to learn how to effectively use the system.

When doing the grid testing, mobile radios passed 100%, while portables passed 99%. During the testing, one spot near a creek marsh failed the test near Pilot, while the other spot was in Youngsville. The testing was done with 8 and 12dB attenuators to effectively simulate in building coverage.

Other than that, Franklin county SO and police department will be switched over a few days before the fire and rescue departments. You should start hearing us on the air near the end of September.

NCFire11

Also, oddly enough I have trouble monitoring the CC on my Pro197, even though I am only about a mile away from the closest tower site. It usually averages 70-80 RSSI.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
reception on I540 near Capital is almost non existent even with a 5db roof top antenna, at times can receive it for a few seconds, guess those of us in the Raleigh area won't be able to monitor this system at all...

NCFire11

reception on I540 near Capital is almost non existent even with a 5db roof top antenna, at times can receive it for a few seconds, guess those of us in the Raleigh area won't be able to monitor this system at all...

at my room in raleigh, i can barely get the cc on my pro197 with the stock antenna.

reconrider8

like this mornign you would think you should be able to at least catch the cc during the skip i was sitting in Littleton this morning on the warren Halifax line on hwy 158 and i was hitting from the Durham system to the viper p25 system all the way to Richmond to Williamsburg and the brewery no telling what i could have hit with my external antenna this was just on a rs 800 mhx antenna lol and who knows on vfh/uhf

trumpetman

Database Admin
right. who knows with vhf/uhf. propogation usually only favors a certain bandwidth. 800 may propogate better than vhf based on the atmosphere and vice versa. probably wouldn't have made a difference.

welcome to the future, systems have dialed the power back and are engineering their system to cover their jurisdiction.

WA4MJF

right. who knows with vhf/uhf. propogation usually only favors a certain bandwidth. 800 may propogate better than vhf based on the atmosphere and vice versa. probably wouldn't have made a difference.

welcome to the future, systems have dialed the power back and are engineering their system to cover their jurisdiction.

I think you got it. The system is for Franklin County, not Wake and Franklin counties.

reconrider8

or we could all do what Missouri did with their shp system and push 5000 watts on low band :) or maybe even 800 :D i wounder what 5000 watts would do on 800 lol

NCFire11

exactly. I believe the towers are transmitting at 75w now where they used to be transmitting at 110w.

Squad101

This is kind of disappointing. I live in something like a Valley in North Raleigh, so its really hard for me to recieve stuff that is not on Viper or out of the county as it is. Franklin County conventional/analog and Granville County Viper is the only thing I can receive loud and clear. I can never pick up Durham Co,barely receiving Vance Co on Youngsville Viper Site, sometimes Chatham County uhf. Hopefully later on this year when the foliage falls I'll be able to receive Franklin Co a little better, or I may have to move haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.