Franklin county

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFire11

I really dont know how its going to work but I guess they will have to simulcast somehow because as far as I know, our pagers will remain unchanged. 'Still dispatching on 154.1450.

NCFire11

Dont mean to drag this post from over a year ago, but there has been progress with the system.

Tower sites are being constructed throughout the county, with 5 additional towers being erected.

Will post pictures of the construction as one of the sites is within seeing distance of my house.

The original tower at the communications center is being replaced with a new tower placed 100 feet away, the new tower will house the P25 system only. The old tower will remain in place and will house a backup emergency communications system as well as cell phone carriers.

We will use a digital P25 system with simulcast to page out our analog VHF pagers. The towers should be finished by the end of the year, and testing should begin next spring.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I'd been wondering how this had been going, thanks for the update and glad to see you guys getting something current technology.

kb4mdz

Yes, definitely post pix when you have them. I was quite familiar with the beginnings of the system that is now being replaced. I'll just say that there has been a very lot of 'hot air' & non-sensical information over the years, with a few nuggets of truth mixed in.

Inquiring mind, and all that. I just don't have a dog in this fight.

Good progress is starting to be made, will post pictures when i get them.

bluesteel

As another Franklin County user, I can report that some mobiles are being installed now (with the "old" system programmed in). I should know, I have one!

As for the earlier posters, I can tell you there was a small faction that resisted VIPER from Day One, so it was DOA here.

SCPD

QRT
Whatever happened to the competitive bid process? You know where a 3rd party consultant(that didn't sell radios) wrote the specs for the system(and not stupid stuff like "must have the letters h,a,r,r,i, and s on it") and put it out for bid. At $2000 a pop, $9Million would have bought 4500 VIPER radios. And I'm not saying that everyone should go to VIPER if what they've got works keep it. But as a taxpayer I hate to see governments from the city councils all way to Washington throwing taxpayer dollars away.

Last edited:

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing here in the north part of Raleigh I should be able to receive the new system pretty good using a Pro 96/Pro 2096 & Uniden 996T?

NCFire11

As another Franklin County user, I can report that some mobiles are being installed now (with the "old" system programmed in). I should know, I have one!

As for the earlier posters, I can tell you there was a small faction that resisted VIPER from Day One, so it was DOA here.

That narrows you down to 3 people! i think

NCFire11

We are receiving mobile "dual-head" radios, anyone care to elaborate on these?

ts548

We are receiving mobile "dual-head" radios, anyone care to elaborate on these?

Dual-head radio's are typically what you see in EMS. One radio, with a head for the driver and a head for the rear person in the back.

NCFire11

So I'm guessing for fire we will have one in the cab and one perhaps at the pump panel.

thomasfd13

$9 million.......... GEEEZE.. I'm in the wrong business... I had a customer try and bead me down on a bid for less then $150k. I bet that the comm company just came in and said here it is, take it now or pay more later. Not to mention the elected officials have no clue on how or what a system consist of. So whats the best option??? PLEAD IGNORANT and cut the check. Just another example of government spending at it's finest.

-------WARNING-------

If I stack another soap box to get on; OSHA is gonna require me to put outriggers on this stack....

NCFire11

Not saying it was a good price, but EVERYTHING is covered in this cost, including the building of 5-6 new towers, the land for the towers, radio equipment for the towers, radio equipment for communications center, ALOT of fullspectrum radios, mobiles for every fire apparatus, ambulance, sheriff car, police cars.
It does start to add up.

We considered more than one bid, this offered us the most of what we wanted, without going to VIPER

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Franklin Sheriff

Has Franklin County sheriff changed frequency? I have it in 2 Maxtracs & over the last couple of weeks nothing heard (155.430)

SCPD

QRT
I agree thomas they could have bought 4500 VIPER radios, it's about time public officials are held accountable for how they spend OUR money.

NCFire11

Has Franklin County sheriff changed frequency? I have it in 2 Maxtracs & over the last couple of weeks nothing heard (155.430)

Negative, heard them today, are you monitoring the alternate channels? You may hear some traffic on that.

I just tested, repeater still works fine and I'm hearing deputies fine.

NCFire11

As promised, here are some pictures of the tower construction.

dsc0002mu.jpg

dsc0007ok.jpg

dsc0004pz.jpg

Installation of the M3300 radios in fire apparatus, ambulances, county police, and county SO cars begins in a few weeks. The portables will be handed out shortly thereafter

Status
Not open for further replies.