Freeport PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotrod501

Freeport PD went encrypted just like Rockford knew that would happen whatever Rockford does Freeport has to do it also.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Freeport PD went encrypted just like Rockford knew that would happen whatever Rockford does Freeport has to do it also.
IF you have a scanner which can receive P25 Freeport PD does have a talkgroup on Starcom21. Its Tg1852 and its Not encrypted, as of this morning. :). Also Winnebago Sheriff is Not encrypted on Tac1,2,3 or 4. 73, n9zas

skinnyb82

Oh, Freeport...once a lovely, wholesome, safe place where immigrants seeking a better life would settle down and raise a family, or at least that's what my great grandparents believed but I digress.

Don't know of too many bangers with P25 capable scanners who have the intellectual capacity and patience to learn the intricacies of the system. It wouldn't surprise me if they do go encrypted due to the misconception that encryption equals officer safety. Haven't been to Freeport in some time but it was in bad shape last I saw, so it has to be worse now.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Oh, Freeport...once a lovely, wholesome, safe place where immigrants seeking a better life would settle down and raise a family, or at least that's what my great grandparents believed but I digress.

Don't know of too many bangers with P25 capable scanners who have the intellectual capacity and patience to learn the intricacies of the system. It wouldn't surprise me if they do go encrypted due to the misconception that encryption equals officer safety. Haven't been to Freeport in some time but it was in bad shape last I saw, so it has to be worse now.

It still is. I wouldn't be there after dark, without being (legally) armed. 73, n9zas

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Freeport as well as all Nassau county village pd have access to the new p25 system. In some cases it does add to officer safety which is what matters most

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Freeport PD ENC

I was in Freeport IL listening to STARCOM21 sites and posting the NAC this past year. It's sad to hear this news. Yes and it's just a matter of time before Belvidere IL and Boone decides they need to be just like Rockford as usual. It was like that even in the 1970s and 80s when I lived there. I remember the night Butch Olsen, ESCAPED from the Boone County Public Safety building. It was Halloween NIGHT. It's like a bad movie. I heard the entire thing on my Radio Shack 4 crystal scanner. The dispatcher was screaming and frantic as he escaped from the Sally Port area somehow. Little kids were everywhere already seeking free candy. I can only imagine if he'd of grabbed some kids and used the parents car to escape. Some parent would want to know why the radio traffic was encrypted *if like today* and why nobody alerted them. That early public information at the second it happened mattered. They caught him shortly after that hiding in a cemetery, *told ya it was like a movie* They didn't even have a chance to alert the "media" over in Rockford to then make announcements. Encryption may make certain police chiefs feeeeeel safer, but the day is coming when citizens will lose their lives because they have no quick access to Police broadcasts like they always did. Innocent bystanders need that information just like they needed it during the Fairdale/Rochelle- F5 Tornado. People asked on the forums why DMR? why NXDN? what's on there? well, those planes, businesses trains or ham broadcasts will soon be the only things we're "allowed" to listen to since we're all now in the category of untrustworthy terrorists. Stephenson County/Freeport IL has no need for encryption, it's a farm/rural county. It's not Chicago or NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
"Don't know of too many bangers with P25 capable scanners who have the intellectual capacity and patience to learn the intricacies of the system" 100% right! Skinnyb42. I can see them throwing it against the wall "nothing to scan" Rural Stephenson Co IL doesn't need Encryption any more than Hooterville or Pixley would from the TV show Green Acres.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Last time i wrote about my city going "ENC" here in Joliet, IL i was accused of "crying" about it....Not many level headed posters are coming out in agreement from the great info im reading now....Since Joliet went "ENC" PD and FD we have had more shootings and robberies...The "Chief" in the local paper is pleading for any info to find the robbers and murderers but, unless your standing across the street watching whats happening there is nothing to tell....Nothing to "HEAR" anymore to say "i heard that description on my scanner and they went that way etc....I have family on the department , they "NEVER" caught anyone breaking the law using a scanner , just a "45"....

gewecke

Banned
Last time i wrote about my city going "ENC" here in Joliet, IL i was accused of "crying" about it....Not many level headed posters are coming out in agreement from the great info im reading now....Since Joliet went "ENC" PD and FD we have had more shootings and robberies...The "Chief" in the local paper is pleading for any info to find the robbers and murderers but, unless your standing across the street watching whats happening there is nothing to tell....Nothing to "HEAR" anymore to say "i heard that description on my scanner and they went that way etc....I have family on the department , they "NEVER" caught anyone breaking the law using a scanner , just a "45"....
. Yep, I feel your pain Ron. Unfortunately there are some agencies getting grants, receiving funds, and biting the encryption biscuits but they have little sense when it comes to community awareness. Some day they'll realize that keeping us in the dark is not in their best interest. Maybe. :roll: 73, n9zas

skinnyb82

And they can't put two and two together, those who "see" the crime are usually the least likely to tip off police and those who "hear" it, well, so much for that. Gotta rely on "the community" for tips. How's that working out for you, Chicago? "Snitches wind up in ditches"

gewecke

Banned
And they can't put two and two together, those who "see" the crime are usually the least likely to tip off police and those who "hear" it, well, so much for that. Gotta rely on "the community" for tips. How's that working out for you, Chicago? "Snitches wind up in ditches"

Chicago pd can still be heard. None of the citywide channels are encrypted. :). 73, n9zas

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Freeport ENC

Folks posting here do feel strongly about it. That's why they posted. Don't assume we haven't done anything or contacted the "authorities" I myself called the Rockford Chief twice and left messages. Of course all this is just a flare, they'll do what they want with our tax dollar$ and tell us we have no business knowing what's happening around us. That's gooberment alright.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Here's something to do as an organized group. Has anyone approached any "scanner-friendly" elected officials to plead the case to prevent departments from switching to encryption for "non-sensitive day-to-day" communications? Ron..Joliet could be used as an example and maybe even show cases where scanner monitors did help the police...DUI's, robbery offenders etc. Then again, they might show where some morons are using radios inappropriately too, so it could be quite a battle. Promote secure digital communications or provide funding for departments to upgrade and become interoperable-compliant with neighboring departments/counties/states etc. Just a thought...

skinnyb82

Chicago pd can still be heard. None of the citywide channels are encrypted. :). 73, n9zas
It was more a reference to the lack of community involvement. The problem in Chicago is due to a lack of police and it's going to get far worse because of 1000 CPD retiring next year and no academy classes scheduled so 1k fewer LEOs. Freeport....that'll be lack of transparency. They erect barriers then complain about the consequences of said barriers.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
A retired fireman friend of mine approached the "city council" about giving up there freqys for the PD-FD and joining SCom and going "ENC", i watched on home TV channel how he got no where....I approached the chief at a recent fund raiser , told him you made a big mistake going silent unless its tactical, he said "It keeps my men safe"....My close friends on the dept told me the only thing gonna keep me safe is a good "VEST" and ban on weapons in the hands of the wrong people.....

skinnyb82

A retired fireman friend of mine approached the "city council" about giving up there freqys for the PD-FD and joining SCom and going "ENC", i watched on home TV channel how he got no where....I approached the chief at a recent fund raiser , told him you made a big mistake going silent unless its tactical, he said "It keeps my men safe"....My close friends on the dept told me the only thing gonna keep me safe is a good "VEST" and ban on weapons in the hands of the wrong people.....
Unfortunately the latter safety measure is impossible. Illinois has this asinine FOID card which does absolutely nothing to stop firearms from being acquired by criminals. I'm well acquainted with the true intent behind the FOID Card Act of 1968. Was a compromise and had nothing to do with safety, everything to do with Daley not wanting blacks to own guns.

gewecke

Banned

Ron, does Joliet encrypt full time From the mobiles on the input, or is it enc on both the output as well? Just curious. 73, n9zas

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
For what i been told Joliet uses full encryption on PD-FD full time and use APX7000 Motorola radios only on Starcom T113-Will Co, no other towers....There TG's are listed and i see there UID's but of course no audio....The PW's use cell phones....

Status
Not open for further replies.