FreeScan error importing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

Had someone wanting a local file so I sent him a file from FreeScan and he can't open it. So I tried and sure enough it will not open. Then tried a CVS file and he can't open it either. We both have the latest version and both get the same error message about being the wrong version, yet both of us have the latest version.... I'm confused 😉

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Had someone wanting a local file so I sent him a file from FreeScan and he can't open it. So I tried and sure enough it will not open. Then tried a CVS file and he can't open it either. We both have the latest version and both get the same error message about being the wrong version, yet both of us have the latest version.... I'm confused ��

Can you post that file here so we could look at it?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well let's start here- to import a FreeScan file you would use the functions defined here..

Freescan File Import - The RadioReference Wiki

Make sure that the FreeScan file being imported has a .996 extension...if it's in a zip file (most common way to send files is compressed), you will need a utility such as 7-Zip or WinZip to uncompress it first.

And FreeScan can't directly import a CSV (not CVS, altho I can think of more than one drug for this LOL); you would use EZ-Grab to map the file...

Freescan EZGrab - The RadioReference Wiki

This all comes from the FreeScan user guide, by the way

Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It will be a while, not home with that computer
I suspect that the file may have been damaged during the email process. Some email servers try to treat a programming file (both FreeSCAN and other programs) as text. This causes damage to the file in transit & may make it unreadable. In other cases, the recipients PC may "think" that it should be opened like an Adobe *.pdf file, which also is incorrect.

Generally, if I am going to email a file to someone, I first zip it (compress it) with a file utility like WinZip or 7Zip.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, this is a common issue with sending 996 files, and as you suggest, it's best to send them in a zip archive.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.