FreeScan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonabet

I live in Fort Myers FL., i have been trying forever to get my BC 346xt set up for a motorola frequencies. I have the general idea however i seem to be getting something wrong. Is there any screenshots for FreeScan that take you step by step for setting up your SQK and GQK for the sites and groups?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not that I am aware of, but I have found that a good way to envision this, and make sure that the 'chain' is not broken is to start low, go high - so...as the group level is always the lowest logical level in DMA...

a. For every group quick key, there should be a check mark in the 'TGID Group Quick Key Enable Disable' area in the System Screen. Normally everything is checked off there, but I find that to be a bit misleading - particularly if you're trying to debug why you are or are not hearing traffic from a particular group. I prefer to manually update it to correspond to what key my group(s) are actually allocated.

b. To check your assignments for your site quick keys, you can use the Tools/System Quick Key Manager (or use Ctrl-K) to view how your site quick keys are allocated (yes, the manager's name is a bit misleading). Always hit the 'Auto Select' button when you first bring the screen up to refresh it (sometimes, particularly when you do this for the first time, everything is checked off). Now if you float your mouse over the checkbox for one of the keys, you will see on the left display all the site(s) that are assigned to that key (this is all documented in the user guide, by the way, which can be found in Help/Online Help when you're online, or you can get it from here...)

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

I should mention that if you have the same quick key allocated to a conventional system (in which case, it's a system quick key) and a trunk system (in which case it's a site quick key) then the display will show more than one item. In this case, it's critical to have unique names, as the manager can't distinguish between the 2.

As long as that chaining is maintained, you should have no trouble - well the only trouble will be exactly HOW you want your site and group quick keys to work - that's your decision.

HTH best regards..Mike

Last edited:

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I live in Fort Myers and would be happy to send you a working Freecan file for Lee County. Just save it to your computer... start Freescan and open the file... upload it to your scanner. Let me know where to send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.