FreeSCAN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsRodgers

Premium Subscriber
Thank you RonnieUSA for the FreeScan file. Have a BCT15X that was purchased over two weeks ago with the hopes of at least being able to listen to local channels this New Years Eve. This black box is evil and I have managed to make a mess of it. Its a lucky little black box...

Blackink

This black box is evil and I have managed to make a mess of it. Its a lucky little black box...

Well, if you can't get the files uploaded properly or can't get the thing to scan the way you want to, you can always revert to listening to the preloaded frequencies in your state-Kentucky, at least for tonight anyway. Some of those frequencies may be old/outdated but you may still hear something.

You can do this by following instructions found in the Easier To Read Manual: Press POL once to turn on a state. Press the FUNC button then press the VOL button. Scroll to 'Your State' and press E/ to save and exit.
When you have selected a state and then one or more of the services, each enabled service's icon is displayed on the lower part of the display. When they are disabled, the icons disappears from the display. When the scanner detects a signal in an enabled service, the icon blinks.

After you do that, follow these instructions (copied from that same easier to read manual) to turn on Police, Highway Patrol/Sheriff, Dept. Of Transportation and maybe at least for tonight, you'll be able to hear some action:
POL includes Police and Sheriff services.
DOT includes the states' Department of Transportation services.
To select Police press POL once.
To select DOT press POL twice.
To select both press POL 3 times.
To select none press POL 4 times.
HP includes the Highway Patrol, State Police, State Patrol, and State Intercity.
BT activates the BearTracker Warning system.
To select HP press HP once.
To select BT press HP twice.
To select both press HP 3 times.
To select none press HP 4 times.

RonnieUSA

Wished I was close enough to You to program your scanner for You, and show You how easy it really is.
Just take the time to read the FreeScan user guide, and You will be doing it yourself.

MrsRodgers

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for everything. I'll keep reading and learning and maybe one of these days I might be able to help someone else. It's a far flung thought right now though.

dokeefe

Premium Subscriber
What am i missing on the copy and paste feature of "ezgrab"....i downloaded to the scanner but it no workie

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's fully explained in the FreeScan user guide - specifically here...

Freescan EZGrab - The RadioReference Wiki

In the future, it would be most helpful if you were to describe what your problem is, and what you are seeing. 'No workie' is not particularly descriptive. The more information supplied, the better the answer.

HTH...Mike

MrsRodgers

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: I have programmed this scanner too many times to mention and getting durn good at it. Other than a little static (spoke too soon earlier) I get nothing. My husband purchased an up-graded antenna when he got the scanner and all along I thought this was the one that was attached. Well now, don't I feel stupid. Anyway, after reading about how bad the reception was with the stock rubber ducky, It hit me.....RUBBER DUCKY. So I dig out the box this stuff came in, grab the metal extended antenna and heck fire, it's has the wrong connector. It's ok though, I ordered correct one and will have it this Friday. I don't give up easy....

Blackink

So.....what you're telling us is that your feeling better about that "lucky little black box", eh?!? lol

Glad to hear your learning about your new toy.

Enjoy...

MrsRodgers

Premium Subscriber
I see that Blackink has the same scanner as I do and is using the ST2 antenna. Can you use it on a metal roof? Also, how far will the signal reach with few trees and hardly any hills?

Blackink

My roof is a metal roof. The antenna is mounted about 12' above the roof peak on one end of my ranch style house.

I have trees and hills nearby and my reception improved tremendously after hooking up the ST2.

As for how far can I reach out to now?.........I can pick up frequencies 70 miles away. With the stock antenna I was reaching 30-40 miles.

I have rotated the ST2 to see if turning it helps the reception.....it does but for what I need to hear in my area, turning it doesn't matter much.

The one thing I'd like to try and do in the future is get it up 10' higher than what it is now. One thing I noticed is better reception now, in the middle of winter with no leaves on the trees, compared to the summer when all is in full bloom.

MrsRodgers

Premium Subscriber
Sounds perfect for me... I see a ST2 in my future. May have a problem attaching a pole that long though. Is there a concern with wind I should know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.