FREESCAN STEP and MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Does it really work with setting the steps and the mode to the scanner and if so where is the most accurate Step and mode chart. I know all two ways must be 12.5 NFM but does it matter on a scanner or just leave it at auto!

Last edited:

marksmith

Each of those 3 ranges have different default steps. In fact there are at least a couple different default steps just between 150 to 175mz.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Narrowbanding would have no effect on your loband stuff, so auto would likely work fine. However on the VHF and UHF ranges, in some cases, narrowbanding would change the step and what mod(ulation) you would need to set.

For example, amateur radio frequencies, GMRS, FRS and the like are not impacted, so auto would also work fine.

This also depends on which scanner you are trying to program? Mike

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Narrowbanding would have no effect on your loband stuff, so auto would likely work fine. However on the VHF and UHF ranges, in some cases, narrowbanding would change the step and what mod(ulation) you would need to set.

For example, amateur radio frequencies, GMRS, FRS and the like are not impacted, so auto would also work fine.

This also depends on which scanner you are trying to program? Mike
im asking for help

BCT15x and and 536hp and where can I find the current or correct band plan. I didn't think it would make a difference on the scanner so That's why I was asking for help

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I wouldn't worry about a 'bandplan' - concentrate on your intended targets and see whether they've converted over. Since your town is in Oxford county, this is what the database shows...

Oxford County, Maine (ME) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

You do have some narrowbanding here - anything marked 'FMN' in the mode. Looks like they didn't adjust for the new channel spacing, so you can leave that as the default.

Are you intending to search these ranges? You would have a devil of a time with the different spacing depending on the service being searched...

Mike

Last edited:

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't worry about a 'bandplan' - concentrate on your intended targets and see whether they've converted over. Since your town is in Oxford county, this is what the database shows...

Oxford County, Maine (ME) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

You do have some narrowbanding here - anything marked 'FMN' in the mode. Looks like they didn't adjust for the new channel spacing, so you can leave that as the default.

Are you intending to search these ranges? You would have a devil of a time with the different spacing depending on the service being searched...

Mike

Thanks Sir, so in other words dont worry about it. TY

marksmith

Band plan and default frequency steps are two totally unrelated things.

Still trying to figure out exactly what you are asking or trying to do.

Mark

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Band plan and default frequency steps are two totally unrelated things.

Still trying to figure out exactly what you are asking or trying to do.

Mark

when you open up FREE SCAN it says STEP and MOD, What does that mean!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually when you open a group up in FreeScan, those are 2 columns you will see, and if you're talking about a conventional group, the user guide has it defined...

Freescan Create Group - The RadioReference Wiki

Mod is the operating mode (maybe FMN in some cases), and Step is the spacing between channels (for VHF narrowband, I believe that's 7.5 khz)

To help you along, you can see the list of exempted services in the FAQ section of;

Narrowbanding - The RadioReference Wiki

from our glossary...Mike

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Actually when you open a group up in FreeScan, those are 2 columns you will see, and if you're talking about a conventional group, the user guide has it defined...

Freescan Create Group - The RadioReference Wiki

Mod is the operating mode (maybe FMN in some cases), and Step is the spacing between channels (for VHF narrowband, I believe that's 7.5 khz)

To help you along, you can see the list of exempted services in the FAQ section of;

Narrowbanding - The RadioReference Wiki

from our glossary...Mike

Thanks I will do some reading tomorrow when i get back in the COM COM! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.