freezing rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA8ZTZ

Freezing rain event here today in Michigan. About 1/4" to 3/8" accumulations on flat surfaces. The wire antennas are fully encrusted and sagging but have held up. Fortunately the air is calm, absolutely no wind. OAT is hovering right at the freezing mark, however, the insulation is all black or dark grey which makes it easier to absorb whatever solar radiation is available. In fact, the wire antennas have started to shed ice even though the air temp is right at freezing. The aluminum antennas (discone, TV, J-pole, vertical) are still ice covered. Antenna wire is #18 PolyStealth or #12 THHN solid. Antenna support lines are good quality poly or nylon 1/8" or 3/16" diameter.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Freezing rain event here today in Michigan. About 1/4" to 3/8" accumulations on flat surfaces.

Same here in Macomb Township, MI. Looks like the rain/freezing rain is over with temps just above freezing until 6am-7am with freezing rain, but only for one hour. Rain all day tomorrow with temps climbing to 53 9pm! Only in Michigan! :)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Couple of weeks ago, we went thru radical weather with very high gusting winds then a polar vertex with ice and sub-zero temps and the worst winter has to offer so far and my antenna system, masts, and all radials held up nicely, even tho I had a heater vent pipe break and fold over. My windows were rattling. My antennas are all secured to masts from Radio Shack attached to the house with wall brackets and lag screws. Very sturdy setup.

JD
kf4anc

WA8ZTZ

Same here in Macomb Township, MI. Looks like the rain/freezing rain is over with temps just above freezing until 6am-7am with freezing rain, but only for one hour. Rain all day tomorrow with temps climbing to 53 9pm! Only in Michigan! :)

May get some more freezing rain late tonight/early tomorrow before the warm up.
Then back into the deep freeze... temps in the low teens with 40 mph winds...
the antennas are taking a beating this week.

WA8ZTZ

The antennas held up, survived 50 mph wind gusts last night.
That PolyStealth is strong stuff for #18 wire.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
We had gusty weather, too, here in SW Ohio, but I don't think we gusted that strong. Around here (Fairborn) we have bad aerial utilities, always blowing down and losing power if winds hit or exceed 45-60mph. Whish is why I have invested so much in backup power and UPS units to keep my desk humming along during storms. Real surprised that we haven't lost power with all the high winds recently. My antennas are holding up!

JD
kf4anc

cajunjerry

Not just Michigan..78 f yesterday at 10 am 35 f by 5 pm and 27 this morning in Louisiana

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A good reason to wear a hard hat when under the tower:
KQTnagM.jpg

prcguy

The little vertical looks like an old Hy-Gain that was marketed for awhile. From the size in the picture it might be for 220 or 440? It also looks too close to the tower for good omni coverage. I would get those expensive Telewave VHF dipoles up higher on the tower.

WA8ZTZ

Another ice event here in Michigan today, sure hopes it melts before the winds pick up as per forecast.

WA8ZTZ

Winds finally dropping off after 30 hours continuous high winds with 40-60 mph gusts.
Fortunately no icing this time.
Just came down from the roof, all the antennas weathered the storm.
IMHO, the support lines are key... use good quality line. Inspect often and replace every 2-3 years.
The UV is what kills the support lines.

a29zuk

The 90' #22 wire antenna with weedwhacker line supports made it through its second ice storm and this past wind storm. A lot less weight with the smaller diameter wire.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.