• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Freightliner M2 106 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Please move this to the correct category if this is the wrong one.

I have a 2013 model soon to get a 2016 or 2017. The last truck I drove I installed a CB where I had the antenna mounted on the mirror and ran the coax into the cab where the radio would be mounted on the dash. Now I'd like to have a more permanent Mount system. I have this space that looks like I could possibly install something butt I want to get opinions first before I unscrew anything. The empty space is covered right now but it's at the top between two cubby spaces where the lights are. I would like to know if there is any power source up there where I can hook up directly or if I have to rig it like I did on my last truck. Here is a picture of the space I'm talking about
94b3b52454bddd85602713b1f0183502.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know the answer, but I went surfing around on the interwebs looking for wiring schematics.

Couldn't find anything for the newer models, but lots of info on the older models.

Didn't find anything conclusive, but I'm willing to bet that running new wiring would be fairly easy. You could follow the path that the dome/map lights use.
I'd be cautions about tapping into any existing wiring, or even any existing fuse blocks, unless they are specifically indicated for this sort of use. Since some in-cab power circuits can be a real source of noise, especially to a CB, you really might be better off running a new fused power lead from one of the batteries. While I was at it, I'd run an upsized wire to support future needs, like a scanner or a second two way radio.

I drove a rental one of those down from Seattle many years ago, and while it didn't have a CB installed, it seemed like that was the place for it. As rental trucks go, it wasn't too bad, especially driving through Seattle rush hour traffic.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I would bet you money that I can find something up in there. It seems like a waste of space if there wasn't. If I have to use a cigarette lighter port to power the unit then that's what I will do. I know that running CB power to a fuse or directly to the battery is best but I'm trying to work with what I got. My main concern honestly at this point is running the antenna cable into the cab. If I have to jerry-rig the radio to the dash then I will. But I drive a flatbed and the doors are fiberglass so either I'm going to have to use a no ground plane kit or use the bed and drill holes for the mount and the whole bed will be my ground plane. That honestly would be ideal because it's almost a hundred inches wide and 24 feet long

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I built those trucks, that's where I'd intend a radio to go. I'd put a power stud up there just for that.

Just be aware that the noise from all the electronics in the newer trucks will really mess up AM CB. If it works, great. If it doesn't, it's likely the power source.

If you can mount the antenna dead center of the cab roof, that would be ideal.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
If I built those trucks, that's where I'd intend a radio to go. I'd put a power stud up there just for that.

Just be aware that the noise from all the electronics in the newer trucks will really mess up AM CB. If it works, great. If it doesn't, it's likely the power source.

If you can mount the antenna dead center of the cab roof, that would be ideal.
5af160f5df676792c605d71cc3e9d487.jpg

This is what I found when I pulled that plastic off

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is what I found when I pulled that plastic off

Looks like wiring harness for the cab clearance lamps and the dome/map lamps.

I wouldn't mess with any of that wiring. Unless there is a clearly marked power lead in there that isn't connected to anything else and is clearly labeled as being for a radio, then I'd run a new feed.

Straight to one of the batteries really is your bet to reduce interference. If that is totally off the table, then look for an accessory power connection under the dash. From the schematics I found on line, there should be one under the dash and ~maybe~ one on the back wall of the cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.