French scanning laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_pasha

What about air frequencies? If u have a Restricted Aeronautical Licence from Canada?

I use a handheld Vertex VXA-700.

morfis

t_pasha said:
What about air frequencies? If u have a Restricted Aeronautical Licence from Canada?

I use a handheld Vertex VXA-700.

In the course of flying you'd probably be OK listening to airband. If you were sat on your hotel balcony listening then you'd fall foul of the law.

I usually take a couple of scanners with me to France and have had no problems with customs or the Gendarmerie. I use walkman-type headphones and keep the radios in a day-sack rather than blatently listening.

n1das

Is just receiving non-broadcast radio transmissions prohibited?

Is a scanning receiver or other receiver capable of receiving non-broadcast transmissions prohibited? My scanner also covers FM broadcast, can I use it to listen to FM broadcast with it or is the scanning receiver itself outright prohibited?

n1das

n4voxgill said:
in a foreign country it is dangerous to play games with definitions. They will lock you up and throw away the key.

Just trying to find out if the scanner itself is outright prohibited or is reception alone prohibited.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I would ask for a written reply from the French Embassy in Washington or expect the scanner to be confiscated by customs. If you have a letter from the embassy that states you can have a receiver but not use it on prohibitive frequencies that would give you something to help get through customs.

n4voxgill said:
I would ask for a written reply from the French Embassy in Washington or expect the scanner to be confiscated by customs. If you have a letter from the embassy that states you can have a receiver but not use it on prohibitive frequencies that would give you something to help get through customs.

Fo rfuture trips that would make sense but I am headed home tomorrow after a long week of work here. Only night I got to go for a tour of Paris was last night and thunderstorms rolled through.

Been a good trip though.

I must say what a pain in the arse it is to type on a French keyboard! All those years of typing must be thrown away

STiMULi

newbie said:
Fo rfuture trips that would make sense but I am headed home tomorrow after a long week of work here. Only night I got to go for a tour of Paris was last night and thunderstorms rolled through.

Been a good trip though.

I must say what a pain in the arse it is to type on a French keyboard! All those years of typing must be thrown away

Did you intercept?

Status
Not open for further replies.