Frequency Allocation Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I know that 800 MHZ Trunked Frequencies are referred to as LTR, Motorola, ED, etc...and that UHF Trunked Frequencies are 400 MHZ etc...But what are VHF Trunked Frequencies, My city is fixing to change over to VHF trunked in the near future and I was trying to figure out the area that they would be placed in, Not 800, Not 400, But what's the VHF Trunk Range? 200 MHZ?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
For these purposes, you could consider VHF to be from 150 to 174 MHz.

btritch

We have channels in this range already but they're not trunked. I didn't know you could have Trunked frequencies in the range.. Guess so though.. Thanks For The Quick Response!

n2mdk

Raven95150 said:
I believe that's a type of encryption.

It's a form of scrambling not true encryption. It changes the frequency of the audio like normal voice inversion does but the radios are synchronized so the the audio frequency changes in a period of time.

Alarms50

btritch said:
I know that 800 MHZ Trunked Frequencies are referred to as LTR, Motorola, ED, etc...and that UHF Trunked Frequencies are 400 MHZ etc...But what are VHF Trunked Frequencies, My city is fixing to change over to VHF trunked in the near future and I was trying to figure out the area that they would be placed in, Not 800, Not 400, But what's the VHF Trunk Range? 200 MHZ?

You are a little bit confused in the terminology. 800 MHz trunked frequencies are not referred to as LTR, Motorola, etc. LTR, Motorola, etc. are the types of systems that utilize the specific frequencies. 800MHz frequencies can be used in trunked systems, and they can be used in conventional (single or multi-channel) systems. VHF and UHF can also be used in trunked systems and conventional (single or multi-channel) systems. VHF is the band approximately 150MHz to 174MHz.

n2mdk

btritch said:
So on top of soundling like chip munks all the time in the middle of a conversation it randomly jumps channels? Right?

Not channels the chipmunk sound changes if you can hear the difference.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
a Trunked VHF system would be interesting as many dont usually do that, their mostly on the 800Mhz. It would be practical on 800Mhz with the many frequenies but for VHF, there isnt much space between other stations on those freq in your area. I'd like to see how that comes out. and what equipment their using

btritch

chrismoll said:
a Trunked VHF system would be interesting as many dont usually do that, their mostly on the 800Mhz. It would be practical on 800Mhz with the many frequenies but for VHF, there isnt much space between other stations on those freq in your area. I'd like to see how that comes out. and what equipment their using

I want to see the same thing...It wouldn't suprize me if they don't move EVERYBODY around...I'll even be suprized if FCC even allows it to happen, In a way I hope they don't, It's going to get very confusing very fast if they do...

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
It doesn't take much figuring at all. If your city has a lot of VHF allocations already, changing to trunked would be pretty easy, get the FCC to modify the license from PW to YW. There are plenty of VHF trunked systems around, including some pretty big ones like South Dakota or Alaska.

CCHLLM

And don't forget the VHF digital trunked system that the Commonwealth of VA is building out.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Any frequency segment can be trunked. It is the system behind it that allows the utilization of the frequencies and not the frequencies themselves.

Motorla, LTR and EDACS are types of trunking programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.