Fresno City Police Radio (Computer?) Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZ

jkmunro3 ..... that helps ... at least now I know what they are -- computer codes. But wonder if they use a Official Nationwide coding system, or its just something that was put together for Fresno PD's exclusive use????

CZ

In earlier post i referred to one of the codes only being given as "Two Nora". A few nights ago, I heard it used in entirely different contexts with different Officer's involved with NO additional coding used.

Context #1: "Two Nora Legbail, send Canine, Code three."

Context #2: "I'd just finished the ticket for a Two Nora and handed it to the guy to sign when you called me on the radio."

selgaran

CZ said:
Context #1: "Two Nora Legbail, send Canine, Code three."

Context #2: "I'd just finished the ticket for a Two Nora and handed it to the guy to sign when you called me on the radio."

Actually, those aren't mutually exclusive, if a "2N" refers to, for example, running a red light, the first scenario would be a driver taking off running after pulling over while the other would have been a routine citation issuance. Could be a traffic violation (are the 2N references related to traffic stops?) or could be some other citeable offense, such as an open container violation.

CZ

The "Two Nora Legbail" problem is the Officer didn't refer to a car or carstop. From what I could gather the party the Officer attempted to stop was on foot, and ran when the Officer called to him.

But in context #2, it sounds as if the "Two Nora" refer's to a traffic violation of some sort.

--------------
One night heard Officer say in effect, "Out report writing on that Four Delta.... Four Delta...... Whatever the new designation is now..."

Radio_Lady

Have you asked them for the codes?

Have you gone down to Fresno PD in person and asked to see (or obtain a copy of) the codes? It looks like their Public Information Office would be the people to contact, "The Fresno Police Department Public Information Office fulfills the public’s need to know. This office provides a timely response to all media and citizen inquiries regarding the Department."

As a California public agency, the police department is most likely required to provide you with the list of these codes if you simply go in and ask for them, preferably in writing. There are only a relatively few types of documents that they my refuse to provide, such as personnel records, all or parts of some crime, arrest, or traffic reports, or material that could compromise officer safety or criminal investigations, or reveal investigatory tactics. I think I saw on their website that documents are 50¢ per page if you want a copy.

Also, you are specifically NOT required to give them the reason you want to see the stuff, though it will probably run a lot smoother if you just tell them.

This is all under the California Public Records Act, and the folks down there should be very familiar with it and it shouldn't be a big deal at all to them, as it's been the law for a number of years, and most public agencies are by now very accustomed to such requests, and respond to them courteously and promptly. They're even required to help you prepare your request, such as by identifying the document(s) you're interested in, and where it is located. They have to either provide them within 10-14 days maximum, or (if your request is in writing) they must give you written explanation why they won't, including the names of the people who made that determination.

Many police people are by nature and experience suspicious and often don't want to tell anybody anything, especially about their internal workings, but anyone who's been there for more than 15 minutes will know what they're required to do. The City Attorney has both given them a detailed memorandum last November and much more detailed information in Section 3 of the .pdf City of Fresno Municipal Law Guidebook at http://www.fresno.gov/Government/CityAttorney/MunicipalLawGuidebook.htm.

Unless Fresno PD is back in the Stone Age about this stuff, I would think that they'll (perhaps roll their eyes and) take your request, and have the information for you either right away or within a couple days. I wouldn't take any of the above stuff in with you, of course, just go in and tell them in a friendly manner that you'd like a copy of the incident and disposition codes they use on the radio. In L.A. you'd have it by the next day. In fact, most of it is online in the department manual and you don't even have to go get it.

CZ said:
But wonder if they use a Official Nationwide coding system, or its just something that was put together for Fresno PD's exclusive use????
Besides never leaving town without my scanner, I've visited and sat in with dispatchers at dozens of PDs and SOs in California and other states over the past 30 years, who use many different computer systems, and I've never heard of these codes. They are probably specific to and invented by Fresno, or else they're part of a CAD or Records Management System that few agencies use. Definitely nothing "nationwide." Somebody there probably stuck a feather in their own cap for being so gosh darn clever and stealthy :roll:

Last edited:

CZ

Ok, thanks for the info. No other Police/Sherriff's Dept I can receive uses anything remotely like them. Good ol' Fresno, got to be different somehow I guess :D

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Still mysteries after two years

No other Police/Sherriff's Dept I can receive uses anything remotely like them. Good ol' Fresno, got to be different somehow I guess :D

In a Yahoo!groups message today, a gentleman IDing himself as a FPD dispatcher said that their codes are "confidential to the public" and suggested that we'll just have to figure them out on our own. Sounds like a good challenge, for which we distant folks may be helped by the "Fresno Police" feed at Fresno County, California (CA) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

As had been discussed here, just like in the CHP mapping thread, a lot of information can be gleaned by just listening closely for context and trends. With a little patience and perseverance, most call types can be figured out relatively easily from the information that accompanies the dispatch and the officers' subsequent transmissions.

Now I'll have to use my son's 'puter too: stream my Humboldt feed through mine, and listen to Fresno on his. And drive my wife nuts in the process. She was in police comms for 32 years and just barely tolerates my having any scanners on at all :)

cousinkix1953

Ok, thanks for the info. No other Police/Sherriff's Dept I can receive uses anything remotely like them. Good ol' Fresno, got to be different somehow I guess :D
The sheriff's office in Santa Cruz county also has it's own disposition codes. Those codes would be handy, if you wanted to know what somebody was eventually arrested for. They still use the regular PC codes; so it's not as confusing as the Fresno situation. You might find these special codes in classroom textbooks used in the criminal justice courses at your local community college.

I remember seeing the San Jose PD's codes in one of those books and the Oakland 900 code was in it too...

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Marin County Sheriff has its own disposition codes as well. Ex: "10-98, 9100, AOA Fire." The four digit code 9100 means "AOA: Assist Outside Agency," but then they go ahead and say the context anyway. It sounds like it's more used for efficiently filing incident dispositions and not meant to deceive, like the Fresno PD situation.

emt_531

So i started listening to this live feed and Im with the poster on this one. I heard an officer say;

The female on this incident has a 2a (two adam) can you confirm that with the the 836....

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Fresno PD "2a" = warrant or restraining order?

So i started listening to this live feed and Im with the poster on this one. I heard an officer say;

The female on this incident has a 2a (two adam) can you confirm that with the the 836....
Sounds like the ofcr thinks she's got either a warrant or a protective or restraining order, both of which fall under parts of 836 PC, and he's asking the dispatcher to confirm it. Did you happen to catch any follow-up after that? We should be a detective :roll:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
"2Robert" = Wanted Person? "1N2" = Suspicious vehicle?

I saw somewhere that "2R(Robert)" is a wanted person, and "1-Nora-2" may be a suspicious vehicle. We'll have to listen to see if those fit.

I'll bet that someone who works on this page: http://www.fresnobee.com/local/crime/index.html has a pretty good idea of what kind of call he/she is chasing while listening in.

Last edited:

Radio_Lady

Has anyone asked them?

I wonder, as I did a year ago up the thread, if anyone yet has simply tried going in to their Public Information office (not just the front desk) and asked one of their two PIOs for a copy of the codes. From FPD's website, "The Fresno Police Department Public Information Office fulfills the public’s need to know. This office provides a timely response to all media and citizen inquiries regarding the Department (and) ... is responsible for answering all media and citizen correspondence. Fresno Police Department's Public Information Officers are Jeff Cardinale and Cynthia Valdez..Press Releases It seems that these two people are specifically trained and informed as to what kinds of information they may and my not release, and PIOs are typically selected for their ability to get along and put a friendly face on an agency or company. Desk officers are often just patrol folks who get assigned there because they need a warm body who needs to know how to handle general inquiries and reports

Since FPD is progressive enough to release this kind of information, http://m3.fresno.gov/MediaFile/MediaFile.txt it's a little hard to believe they wouldn't release at least their dispatch codes. I'm not so sure I'd press too hard for the dispo codes, though, since they often start getting into "personally identifiable information" realm, while the dispatch codes are merely the dispatchers' initial evaluation of unverified info give to them by the callers, and often turn out to not be the real story.

It's funny that Fresno Police are getting more attention (from our little world and on yahoogroups) the way it is now, but if the codes were just out there, nobody would care anymore. I thought the "thrill of the chase" was just a guy thing, but I guess not. It's like a jigsaw puzzle that practically begs to be solved, and once it is, it gets put back in the box never to be looked at again. For my part, Fresno's just a place I zoom past going between L.A. and Yosemite or the North State, but now they've piqued my curiosity.

mkrubsack

I've lived in Fresno, and have listened to Fresno PD on scanners, since 1989. They "were" using plain language and penal/health&safety/etc. codes. Within the last year or so they switched to these new "incident" codes.

I'll be reading here, hoping someone can shed some light on the meaning of them. Some of the codes are routine and be figured out by their context within the communication. Others are pretty cryptic.

vlarian

answers

All calls for service are classified when they come in. there are subcats but I will leave that for you to figure out.

Dispo or clearance format: Disposition (T) / Unit code (84) / Classification code (3C1) / Location code (O)

Classification codes
1A Alcohol-related
1B Animal complaint
1D Death of person (not suicide or homicide)
1E Disturbance / disorder
1H Juvenile offense
1J Missing person
1M Health or suicide
1N Suspicious activity
1T Biological terrorism
1Z Unlicensed public event
2A Assist citizen / agencies
2B Community relations
2C Contract policing
2D False alarms
2F Federal offense