Frontiers Air Show freqs and are scanners allow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I am going to the Frontiers Air Show in Wichita KS at McConnell Air Force Base on Sunday the 9th. What are the freqs and do they allow scanners at the show? I have never been to a show since 2003 and not sure what to expect. heard it's TSA level security.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Thanks. I didn't see anything that said about scanners one way or the other. What freqs do they use for this? I don't know if it's the same as what the database says. And control tower.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Thanks. I didn't see anything that said about scanners one way or the other. What freqs do they use for this? I don't know if it's the same as what the database says. And control tower.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Keep in mind item 14 on the list...

Any and all items security personnel consider a safety or security risk

ecps92

Shoes Off
Shoes On
Depends on the Airport

And Your Mileage May Vary [YMMV] as anyone can interpret anything as a safety/security risk.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
is there not anyone that knows what freqs McConnell Air Force Base uses? I didn't' find much other then the trunking system for the security. Is there not many people monitoring the military around there? I notice the KS forum seems very dead then when i used to follow it 5 years ago. I looked at the Air Show freqs but it doesn't cover all the acts that will be there. what will the B1 bomber fly by be using? thanks.

Eugene

I'm glad to hear scanners are allowed. This is so strange because several other air shows in the state listings at local AFB's have not had scanners restricted, but Langley AFB in VA had scanners on the list as strictly forbidden and said any forbidden items (to include scanners I assume) would be CONFISCATED!!! Wonder what makes Langley special. Enjoy the show.

Eugene KG4AVE

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Well I had to walk 20 minutes back to the car after waiting in line for an hour to take my scanner back and then another 20 minute walk back. I was not happy. That's 50 minutes wasted, it took 10 minutes at least to find my car, that I didn't get to enjoy the show. Meanwhile my friends went on without me and I couldn't find them and had to watch everything by myself. And I even triple checked the prohibited items. Nothing about scanner radios.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator

Well I had to walk 20 minutes back to the car after waiting in line for an hour to take my scanner back and then another 20 minute walk back. I was not happy. That's 50 minutes wasted, it took 10 minutes at least to find my car, that I didn't get to enjoy the show. Meanwhile my friends went on without me and I couldn't find them and had to watch everything by myself. And I even triple checked the prohibited items. Nothing about scanner radios.

Like I posted earlier, item 14 on the list.

ecps92

As Kevin pointed out...and I said YMMV

Eugene

Blueangel-eric: I am sorry to hear your experience. It seems the military (at least the AF) has gotten rabid about scanners...not quite sure why. Security is encrypted and scanners do not transmit so no danger of setting anything off. There's more of a danger with cell phones, which they do allow.

Monitoring of the show aircraft has been a staple of airshows for a lot of people for a lot of years......sad. When I saw scanners prohibited, I did not go (For the first time in years) on principle.

You're a better man than I....cause the only place I would have gone after the walk to the car would have been out of there......

Eugene KG4AVE

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Blueangel-eric: I am sorry to hear your experience. It seems the military (at least the AF) has gotten rabid about scanners...not quite sure why. Security is encrypted and scanners do not transmit so no danger of setting anything off. There's more of a danger with cell phones, which they do allow.

Monitoring of the show aircraft has been a staple of airshows for a lot of people for a lot of years......sad. When I saw scanners prohibited, I did not go (For the first time in years) on principle.

You're a better man than I....cause the only place I would have gone after the walk to the car would have been out of there......

Eugene KG4AVE

The only reason i went back was it was my 2nd time to go to an air show in my life and the first time was on a vacation at the spur of the moment, found out via the ham radio, I forgot my camera. damn and they had a F-117A on display. it was at Whiteman. Now they don't have those anymore. It would be more peace and quiet to stay at the car and watch and listen. they said no tailgating but no security was watching from what i could see. and a couple was sitting in chairs in their bed of the their truck.

Eugene

Although I did read in another forum that a similar thing happened....the security person was being an ***-hat when there was no mention of scanners being prohibited......readers digest version....he raised a ruckus which attracted the attention of the officer-in-charge who let him in and chewed out the guard...so as Kevin pointed out.....YMMV.

Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene

Yeah....I get it.....I had thought about that too.....listening in the parking lot....but I don't want to be rousted and potentially shot by some trigger happy security guard for loitering.....*sigh*.....we have definitely crossed some boundary into the absurd. Heard a quote by Oliver Stone but attributed to Dostoevsky "Hell is the impossibility of reason".

Eugene KG4AVE

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I made a tiny ruckus saying that it wasn't in the prohibited items and we checked them 3-4 times. And that i wanted to listen to the aircraft and other people bring scanners to airshows. And the soldier said something about where we was at and the times we are in. he got the guy in charge and he said they're not allowed and they already stopped 5 other people that had them. That guy was friendly and nice and let me cut in line when i asked him about if i had to wait all over again. and he gave us all high 5's when we was leaving and thanking everyone for coming. He seemed pretty cool. I don't think he was being an ***. probably had orders to follow. I mean like I"m glad to even be there because after 9/11 and again a few years after that i heard the military quit doing open houses for awhile so i was glad they started again.

Status
Not open for further replies.