• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS activity during / after disasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Like other folks have mentioned, I think once the cellular networks run out of juice or go down, most people are just going to be SOL when it comes to communications. It's hard enough to convince the masses to have 72+ hours of supplies on hand, let alone electronic gizmos with spare batteries stashed away and protocols for use. On top of that, so many people don't even know who their neighbors are. But it's all okay, when the "big one" hits Uncle Sam will be there to bail everyone out with a helicopter rescue and a FEMA trailer. <cynicism off>

Maybe it's time to move to Utah... :D

reedeb

Seems like a silly question - but I was wondering what FRS activity sounds like during or right after a disaster?

Is it totally abandoned in a panic, or do you hear people using it for real things, other than kid chit-chat?

The other reason I ask this, is that while there are many fine services for disaster comms (amateur / gmrs etc), the sheer availability of both FRS radios and scanners makes me wonder if both could ever be put to good use?

What I'm thinking is that if someone was in trouble, and they aren't even technically savvy, that if they placed a call for help and didn't get a reply, that it *might* be possible that some scanner listeners, those with good outdoor antennas, might be able to at least transfer the plea for help to other agencies.

Situation: I'm down and not technically savvy - but someone once told me to just fire up the kids FRS radio, and at the top of the hour, make a call stating my location, situation etc. If no reply comes, try again in 5 minutes. If nothing heard then, shut down to save the battery, and try again at the top of the next hour.

This way, even if a scanner listener monitoring channel 1 FRS (default on FRS radio powerup) with an FRS radio could not reach the person needing help, they could at least *hear* the call, and possibly enlist the help of others.

What I'm thinking of is total brain-dead simplicity. Those with the knowledge to operate radios will obviously do so. But for mom and pop who remembered to just turn on the FRS unit, and make a call at the top of the hour, might be heard by a scanner listener with a good setup.

Is this just a pipe-dream, among all the other various schemes proposed over the years? Is it just an unusable bedlam of activity during these kinds of events?

The bubblepack radios will not get out to far roughly a mile [maybe a tad more] if the terrain is right. I would use them with my family to co-ordinate ourselves. Make up some code words you and everyone else will know. NEVER give your name and location out during a disaster [too many looters and trouble makers will also be listenning] Consider CB type names during this time. If you're out and coming up to the house pass on a codeword to letthem know you're by yourself or under someone's control [have a separate catchword for that as well]. If it's good say Hon I'm home or something ike that and IFnot say hey Babe all is ducky. MOST will not catch on. ALSO establish areas to meet at in a disaster NEVER say WHERE they are just say Meet me at section 1,2,3,4 or whatever, never say Meet me by Smith's house or the old shed or things like that

When I was growing up we had an old twisted tree behind our house we called the camel tree [had a nice hump on a branch] Things like this will work real well, just make sure noone ,NO ONE else knows what these phrases mean.

LtDoc

FRS radios are for very short range stuff, don't count on advertised ranges. The key word in any emergency or disaster situation is adaptability. What may be common practice normally isn't necessarily what's going to happen in an unusual situation. Paying attention to what you hear is going to serve much better than any preconceived plans. The whole idea of what's normal or typical will change and YOU have to do some changing to 'fit'.
- 'Doc

KJ4ZIN

I agree LtDoc. I was involved in the beginning of the thread and suggested that there could be a relay in place. I do agree, FRS is very short range, and alot of people have talked about the pros and cons. I think if FRS is going to be counted on, there should be guidelines on channels, who will relay the FRS traffic, etc. I think within the neighborhood it could be used to check in with neighbors, and have an amateur radio or neighborhood watch relay depending on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.