• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS and Summer Break

Whats your favorite FRS brand radio?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tj20

Have not noticed an increase in kids, but I do get a kick out of a local bar that uses frs/gmrs for ops.

"See that lady with the cellulite on her legs? She has got to go!"

Big Lots

Big Lots uses it also but I also hear kids using there channel. There is a guy name Brad that works there and I like to say "Brad do you have a copy". Within the years since I lived at our new place down the road from them they have swiched channels like people swich underwear.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As how a lot of things go these days, kids generally tire quickly of using these radios. Fun at first, then get bored and all one hears is roger beeps. In camping areas they are used more but in Alberta this only last about 2 months. At least scanners have lock out buttons so it is easy to eliminate the tom foolery.

pyro424

Sure there are a lot of kids on there during break. Or also on weekends. Sometimes I will leave one sitting on channel 1 and just see what happens. Often it is just a mess of noise and those tones going on all day. But other times I have had good experiences. Sometimes I will hear a kid calling saying is anyone there? etc. Well I have responded and actually held conversations. It is interesting when they realize they can actually talk to someone instead of continuously pushing the call button. One kid on there seemed so interested. Asking where I was and how I was able to talk to him. I explained about channel 1 being kinda a call channel with no privacy code. The conversation went so far that I explained to him what a CB is and amateur radio. I explained to him that with these "bigger better" radios we can talk world wide. Even advised him to look up amateur radio on the internet. There are countless other occasions. I was in town somewhere waiting for a friend in the car and again decided to put FRS 1 on. (I leave one "toy" radio in the glove box) Again another kid, all on his lonesome on there calling. So the point is in my experience it is not always just some kids with a couple radios playing hide and seek. I have on many occasions come across genuine interested kids who seem to have or are getting the radio bug. It reminds me of when I was a kid. I was bored and dusted off some old CB radio from the barn. Hooked up a battery and a piece of wire (SWR? whats SWR?) anyways started talking to people and was hooked. Of course back then the CB was a lot busier than it is today. Everyone had one. Just as today it seems practically every household has a pair of FRS radio's sitting around. Those old CB guys started teaching me all about radio and antennas. How to operate. One of them ended up being close by and he showed me his station. Even gave me a book about radio to read. Eventually upgrading my system and then becoming a Ham. Hearing these kids on there calling out and playing with their radios just reminds me so much of how I got my start. Had those CBers not been so kind and patient with me I would have never gotten the radio bug and got involved. Here I am now with a full station and a 80 foot tower with every radio one could need. All from my start playing with an old CB. I think of some of these kids with their FRS radios the same way. Especially the ones who are out there by themselves and not playing hide and seek etc. Who knows, I just may have recruited some new future radio ops from my occasional turning on of channel 1 and sifting through the call tones! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I couldnt sleep so I turned on my UHF XTS and had frs channel 1 programmed and I heard kids dropping F bombs on there. It was 3 a.m. in the morning.

PACNWDude

Can't say I have ever heard profanity on FRS, CB all the time though. I did hear a guy saying to someone else to repeat the last transmission like he was mad at something though. Thing the other person just went out of range.

Glad to see some legit kids getting on channel 1 too.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
wow, you guys should feel lucky to have that much activity to listen to you on FRS/GMRS in your area.

I literally can go MONTHS without hearing a pin drop on FRS, and only a few kerchunks to the many GMRS repeaters in North Georgia.

I live in a county of 750,000, future home of the new Atlanta Braves "Race to Waste" stadium paid for with my tax dollars- and I guess all the kiddies around here are so loaded driving mommy and daddy bought bimmers that they don't mess with 20th century "walkie talkies", they all have the latest iphone or whatever expensive gadget with a monthly bill paid to some telecom cartel to send countless text messages while driving or update their facebook status- so they would not bother with such ancient, outmoded and low rent technology as FRS.

wow, you guys should feel lucky to have that much activity to listen to you on FRS/GMRS in your area.

I literally can go MONTHS without hearing a pin drop on FRS, and only a few kerchunks to the many GMRS repeaters in North Georgia.

I live in a county of 750,000, future home of the new Atlanta Braves "Race to Waste" stadium paid for with my tax dollars- and I guess all the kiddies around here are so loaded driving mommy and daddy bought bimmers that they don't mess with 20th century "walkie talkies", they all have the latest iphone or whatever expensive gadget with a monthly bill paid to some telecom cartel to send countless text messages while driving or update their facebook status- so they would not bother with such ancient, outmoded and low rent technology as FRS.

That would be nice not to hear a pin drop on the frs. That is why I went to the MURS because of too much activity on it.

W9NES

Taco Bell near my home uses FRS for the people who work there and they let us know when the tacos are ready for the customers on the drive up window.

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
Sure there are a lot of kids on there during break. Or also on weekends. Sometimes I will leave one sitting on channel 1 and just see what happens. Often it is just a mess of noise and those tones going on all day. But other times I have had good experiences. Sometimes I will hear a kid calling saying is anyone there? etc. Well I have responded and actually held conversations. It is interesting when they realize they can actually talk to someone instead of continuously pushing the call button. One kid on there seemed so interested. Asking where I was and how I was able to talk to him. I explained about channel 1 being kinda a call channel with no privacy code. The conversation went so far that I explained to him what a CB is and amateur radio. I explained to him that with these "bigger better" radios we can talk world wide. Even advised him to look up amateur radio on the internet. There are countless other occasions. I was in town somewhere waiting for a friend in the car and again decided to put FRS 1 on. (I leave one "toy" radio in the glove box) Again another kid, all on his lonesome on there calling. So the point is in my experience it is not always just some kids with a couple radios playing hide and seek. I have on many occasions come across genuine interested kids who seem to have or are getting the radio bug. It reminds me of when I was a kid. I was bored and dusted off some old CB radio from the barn. Hooked up a battery and a piece of wire (SWR? whats SWR?) anyways started talking to people and was hooked. Of course back then the CB was a lot busier than it is today. Everyone had one. Just as today it seems practically every household has a pair of FRS radio's sitting around. Those old CB guys started teaching me all about radio and antennas. How to operate. One of them ended up being close by and he showed me his station. Even gave me a book about radio to read. Eventually upgrading my system and then becoming a Ham. Hearing these kids on there calling out and playing with their radios just reminds me so much of how I got my start. Had those CBers not been so kind and patient with me I would have never gotten the radio bug and got involved. Here I am now with a full station and a 80 foot tower with every radio one could need. All from my start playing with an old CB. I think of some of these kids with their FRS radios the same way. Especially the ones who are out there by themselves and not playing hide and seek etc. Who knows, I just may have recruited some new future radio ops from my occasional turning on of channel 1 and sifting through the call tones! LOL

Great post. I have had some very similar experiences. I was also lucky to have some good guys to help me get started. There were a few butt heads too.

I few months back I heard a kid playing around on one of the FRS channels. I answered him when he asked "is anyone out there?" with "go ahead". About 10 seconds later I'm getting screamed at by an adult voice, called a pervert and told to rot in hell. She told me that I was a real POS for trying to pick up little kids on the radio. I'm not sure how a "go ahead" got twisted into me being a pedaperv but I guess that's how society thinks now. I never did answer her back. My point is: Be careful

Great post. I have had some very similar experiences. I was also lucky to have some good guys to help me get started. There were a few butt heads too.

I few months back I heard a kid playing around on one of the FRS channels. I answered him when he asked "is anyone out there?" with "go ahead". About 10 seconds later I'm getting screamed at by an adult voice, called a pervert and told to rot in hell. She told me that I was a real POS for trying to pick up little kids on the radio. I'm not sure how a "go ahead" got twisted into me being a pedaperv but I guess that's how society thinks now. I never did answer her back. My point is: Be careful

I had the same happen to me to. Except the kid called me a pervert.

KD8DVR

After listening a few days, there is one family that uses them to keep tabs on the kids, and some minor business traffic. Here and there, I hear folks in caravan talking on the close by interstate. Totally useable in my nieghborhood.

DPD1

Sure there are a lot of kids on there during break. Or also on weekends. Sometimes I will leave one sitting on channel 1 and just see what happens. Often it is just a mess of noise and those tones going on all day. But other times I have had good experiences. Sometimes I will hear a kid calling saying is anyone there? etc. Well I have responded and actually held conversations. It is interesting when they realize they can actually talk to someone instead of continuously pushing the call button. One kid on there seemed so interested. Asking where I was and how I was able to talk to him. I explained about channel 1 being kinda a call channel with no privacy code. The conversation went so far that I explained to him what a CB is and amateur radio. I explained to him that with these "bigger better" radios we can talk world wide. Even advised him to look up amateur radio on the internet.

I think this proves that radio will always be inherently interesting to people. They just need to know about it. There's just something about the curiosity and mystery of who might be out there. I really don't think that will ever disappear completely.

I was at about 8000' on a mountain and talked to a kid once. He was probably miles away down on the valley. When I tried to explain where I was, he didn't believe me. But yes... I could see some parents getting freaked out by some stranger talking to their kid. As long as you don't do anything wrong though and keep it clean, I don't think it's much to worry about.

Tech1

I monitor FRS, GMRS and MURS where i live and there's little or no activity. No one seems to know about MURS at all. I guess everyone uses their cell phones instead, especially if it has the walkie talkie feature.
I live in a small city in Upstate NY.

CaptDan

I am currently just outside Princeton, NJ and for the most part the radio is dead ....FRS ...GMRS .....MURS ..... every once in a blue moon I'll hear some kids - and a few times a year a Fire Dept over in Bristol Pa, uses one of the GMRS channels for special events - otherwise it is completely quiet.

MeddleMan

Georgia activity

MTS, there us plenty of activity on gmrs repeaters in GA. The six hundred machine us busy in my area. They like to slam hams. Gmrs channel twenty two is occupied by a hospital on a repeater somewhere near Gainsville. Much of what has already been mentioned occurs. I've talked to kids and then their parents.

methusaleh

I monitor FRS, GMRS and MURS where i live and there's little or no activity. No one seems to know about MURS at all. I guess everyone uses their cell phones instead, especially if it has the walkie talkie feature.
I live in a small city in Upstate NY.

Not sure how far upstate you are, but there is a group who chit-chats on all of the 151 MHz MURS frequencies, in the Lake Champlain area. One gent who lives on the shore has a beam and has heard me on an HT roughly 30 miles to his east. Most of us are also hams who talk on 2m simplex, but MURS is a nice informal way to chit-chat sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.