• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant888

Hello all,

I was just wondering if there was anyone who ever heard police on FRS.
I have a scanner, so this question is just out of curiosity.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

viper1833

Hello all,

I was just wondering if there was anyone who ever heard police on FRS.
I have a scanner, so this question is just out of curiosity.

Thanks for your input.

I've never heard any emergency service on it ever, however last year in my area someone had a scanner sitting next to a FRS/GMRS radio set hands free, and you could hear the scanner traffic over the FRS frequency. Can't remember what freq it was, but it was on FRS. Eventually it went away, I think someone was using this as a way to monitor the local PD when they were away from there scanner.

ant888

I've never heard any emergency service on it ever, however last year in my area someone had a scanner sitting next to a FRS/GMRS radio set hands free, and you could hear the scanner traffic over the FRS frequency. Can't remember what freq it was, but it was on FRS. Eventually it went away, I think someone was using this as a way to monitor the local PD when they were away from there scanner.
Ah, okay.
I was wondering if a two way radio on FRS would work.

I just lost what you said on one thing though; what is hands free?

(Sorry, I'm new to radios). [emoji14]

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Every November, there's a protest here in Columbus, GA. Folks from all over the country show up to protest what they still call the School of the Americas. It's now known as Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC). It's training classes held at Ft. Benning for various Latin American countries. The courses center on civil engineering and EMA-types of classes. Variously, the protest group ranges from about 3,000 to 20,000. The protests have always been orderly and the most serious arrests by LE are usually just for disorderly conduct.

Anyway, the various groups that show up to protest typically use FRS radios to coordinate their activities. For that reason, the communications section of the mobile command post is awash in FRS radios. We tried scanning but there are usually too many conversations going on at one time.

viper1833

Ah, okay.
I was wondering if a two way radio on FRS would work.

I just lost what you said on one thing though; what is hands free?

(Sorry, I'm new to radios). [emoji14]

Hands free is a feature in some radios, where you can activate, and talk on it without pushing the talk button. Most FRS/GMRS radios have that feature nowadays.

Rred

New Orleans, right after Katrina. FRS was the only thing available to many agencies, among them some PD's.

Normally? No, the FRS radios are limited to 1/2 watt in power and no repeaters, so for the PD it is a "toy of last resort".

DPD1

Every once in a while I've seen some community type groups use them at events, in concert with police. Like Eagle Scouts helping at a festival or something like that. That's about it. Honestly, I don't even think they're getting used much anymore. Maybe car to car on trips or something. But people/businesses use phones for so much now. I was on an 8000' mountain the other day and monitored FRS frequencies for a while. I heard zero.

tj20

When frs was first getting popular there were some stories of police monitoring frs, because criminals were using them for lookouts. Now with everybody and their dog having phones it has lost popularity.

CaptDan

Prior to encrypted radios being so available to law enforcement agencies, some specialized units utilized FRS among themselves for short range non critical communications. They found FRS to work well for them because of the very low power and short range, anyone attempting to monitor them would pretty much have to be practically next to them. Transmissions over the regular Police Radio system could easily be monitored throughout the city.

Nextel direct connect was also a very popular alternative to the regular police radio systems also.

mm

Pima county Sheriff in South Central Arizona and the US BORDER patrol both use the GARMIN RINO GPS/TWO WAY (FRS and GMRS) radios to communicate with each other and to track deputies while out in the Sonoran Desert..

Nat-Geo has a Border patrol tv show and recently they showed some BP units near Nogales Az. using RINO655T'S while on patrol.

Copper Area News Publishers providing news coverage for Eastern Pinal and Southern Gila Counties | PCSO Receives $689k to Combat Human and Drug Smuggling - Copper Area News Publishers providing news coverage for Eastern Pinal and Southern Gila Counti

It's on 5 Rinos in the list of the new tech devices that they used for this DHS grant money so even though it's not a lot of radios, there aren't a lot of deputies who work on foot patrol at PCSO so 5 is probably suitable for this SO.

Last edited:

Delta33

Twice in the past, I've heard police using Frs for building Entry and Breaching exercises so as to not tie up their repeater but this was several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.