FT-60R alkaline battery case question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

Can anyone tell me what kind of life-span my radio would have if I were to use the alkaline battery case with rechargeable AA's? I know it should only be used in emergencies but would like to use it when my main battery is charging. Thanks for your feedback.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Before I bought two more high capacity li-ion batteries for my vx-5 I did the same thing as you. The aa cell pack will work fine with rechargeables as long as you don't use anything more than low power to transmit or maybe receive only. With the FBA-23 I got about 5 hours with aa ni-mh batteries.
73's!
N9ZAS

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
You'll be fine with using rechargeables in the alkaline case. I used that case more than the stock battery pack in my FT-60, because I could recharge those batteries faster (and had more on standby).

I used Energizer 2500s and Eneloops, always using the full 5W for transmit. Never had a problem.

N1BHH

Operating time of alkaline batteries depends upon you overall time of use. I use the alkaline case when I am rapid charging my primary FNB-83. I'm going to order a couple more of the higher capacity FNB-83xh batteries from Batteries America later this week. These will give longer life, as I use my FT-60R almost all the time when I'm at home and on the road. I recommend to anyone purchasing any hand held to get the rapid charger and one alkaline case, it's always good to have at least a second battery available for backup. I find it tough to be ready for an emergency when you have to charge a battery while attached to the radio.

SlGlNT

I think I have gotten more standby time and tx time using the AA case. Does anyone else have trouble getting rechargeable batteries to fit in the AA case. I never have trouble getting alkaline batteries in, but the rechargeable drive me crazy when they pop out of the case before I can get it latched.

Last edited:

kf4uuz

Some rechargeables have a very slightly larger circumference. This can cause some problems, especially in radios like the, FT-60, which have a very tight battery cover fit. If this is the case, you need to change batteries, or stay with alkalines.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Lot of factors

I use rechargeables exclusively in the FT-60R. Length depends on a number of things. I usually use at least 2000 mAh rechargeables that last up to 30 or more hours when receiving only. Of course it will also depend on how many "lamp/LED" functions you have on. Never had a problem with Diehard, Sanyo, Eneloops fitting in the case. And battery chargers for AA are a lot cheaper and more versatile than using the Yaesu battery packs [not that they are bad either].

Status
Not open for further replies.