FT-60R problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yenkomuscle

Hi all first time poster here.

I just received a new Yaesu FT-60r last night from the antenna farm. It initially did not turn on so I figured that battery was completely discharged. I charged it overnight with the supplied charging cable. This morning the Unit was noticeably warm but still did not turn on.

I was supplied with the PA-44B charging cable and the batter is the FNB-83. I have been looking at other posts like this and I have seen some battery issues. I do have the flat metal are open on the bottom right of the battery. The issue in the other posts seemed to be there was a plastic tab over this area that prevented it with making contact to the radio.

Any thoughts or helpful advice.
Thanks in advance.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR!

Since it's brand new, I'd be contacting the dealer and would ask for a warranty replacement. Since you say the battery was warm then I'd think it is making contact (as the cable plugs into the radio and then supplies current to the battery) but something else is wrong.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Charge that battery for at least 10 hours the first time.

Make sure you disconnect the cable before you try to turn on the radio.

The FT-60R will not operate (transmit or receive) with the charger plugged in.

(Yaesu FT-60R Operating Manual, page 9)

Mine will turn on even with a dead battery but immediately powers off.

dksac2

Does the Ion batterys that you can buy hurt the radio (FT-60) in any way. I know they need a charger just for the ion batteries.

Thanks, John

K

kb0nly

I have two Lithium packs for my 60r and a desktop charger that can charge them or conventional packs with the flick of a switch, they work great. The lithium packs last longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.