FTO on power restore different on 436 than 536. Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

I use my 536 in FTO mode most of the time. On power failures when the power comes back on it returns to FTO. That's great!

On my 436 if I remove the batteries and run it off the USB only and have it in FTO when power is removed and reapplied it comes back but in scan mode not FTO mode.

This difference is preventing me from using my 436 in my car where I want it in FTO mode all the time and to power on/off with the ignition (or relay activated circuit).

Is there any chance this can be fixed? I really don't want to have to put a 600 dollar scanner in my car, plus a portable scanner would be more appropriate so it can be used outside the vehicle.

Seems like something that could be fixed in firmware. Please... please... For us FTO users.

Roveer

Last edited:

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Why not hardwire a USB power port to terminal 30 in your vehicle and leave your 436 on? A basic 500mA USB power port with no LED indicator will draw about 250mA with the engine off. Yes, a 250mA draw is not insignificant, but it shouldn't pose a problem in a vehicle that is started and run multiple times a day, every day. With the scanner disconnected from the power port, the standby current is <2mA.

Roveer

I would just get a cheaper FTO scanner to keep in the car for FTO purposes, like a BCT15 or BCD996XT.

Have considered that, BUT... Would want analog & P25 so that nixes the BCT15. Have been looking at the 996XT which will do P25 but I would need to know that when it's set up for FTO and then it's powered off and powered back on that it will return to FTO. This seems to be the big sticking point. My 536 does, my 436 does not.

If I can determine that this will happen that might be the best route.

Roveer

Roveer

Why not hardwire a USB power port to terminal 30 in your vehicle and leave your 436 on? A basic 500mA USB power port with no LED indicator will draw about 250mA with the engine off. Yes, a 250mA draw is not insignificant, but it shouldn't pose a problem in a vehicle that is started and run multiple times a day, every day. With the scanner disconnected from the power port, the standby current is <2mA.

I don't want to leave anything powered on in the car that might get parked for days. The whole idea here is to not have to touch the scanner (powering it on or off) and have it all be automatic.

By hard wiring it and leaving it ON that would mean it would be making noise (alerts) all the time. Also something I don't want.

I just simply want a hard mounted scanner that will power on and off with the ignition (delay relay circuit for protection) and will return to FTO and it powers on all without me having to touch anything. Also giving me the ability to open up P25 when I want to hear our departments.

ur20v

Then I'd probably not buy another scanner and instead buy a used commercial P25 radio and have it programmed with the tones I'd like to be alerted on and the system(s) I'd like to monitor. You'll still have the 436 for when you're away from the car.

Roveer

Then I'd probably not buy another scanner and instead buy a used commercial P25 radio and have it programmed with the tones I'd like to be alerted on and the system(s) I'd like to monitor. You'll still have the 436 for when you're away from the car.

I guess I kind of started looking at that. I've been looking at the Unication G5 which is not a cheap radio.

Other make/model suggestions? Thanks.

Roveer

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To your original problem:

1) Install and operate from batteries.
2) Turn on and put into FTO.
3) Turn off using the switch.

Now, the scanner will resume FTO upon power up. (The last state does not get written to the SD card on power loss if no batteries are installed.)

ur20v

Roveer

To your original problem:

1) Install and operate from batteries.
2) Turn on and put into FTO.
3) Turn off using the switch.

Now, the scanner will resume FTO upon power up. (The last state does not get written to the SD card on power loss if no batteries are installed.)

I'll give it a try and report back. Just the type of thing I was hoping for, user error...

Roveer

Roveer

This appears to have worked! Thanks a bunch. I now remember why I abandoned this a long while back.

With no batteries in the scanner it used to get stuck at the USB Cable Detected screen and wouldn't go past it. I'm guessing that was fixed in firmware update as now it does go to that screen but it proceed past after a few seconds.

Now, one final question. Will this work the same way on the 325P2? I'd really like to keep my 436HP in the house

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.