R8600 Full memory Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOR-262

I've now accumulated 120 active civil aircraft frequencies. Each memory Group on the R8600 is 100. 'Group 0' is now full and so the remaining frequencies are now in 'Group 1'. Is there a way to link the Groups during a Memory Scan -- so that all frequencies in 'Group 0' are scanned and then the R8600 moves to the next Group (Group 1). Currently I can only perform a Memory Scan on a single Group i.e. Group 0 or Group 3 or 6 etc. I know there is an option to Scan ALL Groups but I don't want to do that.

For users or people familiar with the AOR 8600 Mk2, you'll know what I want to do IS possible. AOR call it Bank Linking. Whereby Bank 'A' can be linked to Bank 'a' or Bank 'B' or Bank 'C' and be linked to Bank 'F' etc. and only those Banks marked as Bank Link Banks are scanned.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I know Icom is not a stranger to bank linking. I don’t know if this will help, but my R30 has bank linking, accessed via the Scan menu, but the radio MUST be in Memory mode. If in VFO mode the Scan menu presents entirely different options.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am no where near filling up any memory banks on mine, but I plan to check this out and explore it. Seems there would be an easy fix to just linking 2 banks or however many you wanted to.

JD
kf4anc

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
I'm not your found a way to do this either yet. I'm pretty sure it's possible with the RS 8600 software which I just installed today but I haven't gotten that far yet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AOR-262

@TailGator911 @thecop @pwscott

Solution found!

The solution to my question is firstly to have an understanding of how the Select Memory Scan works.

This can be done individually - however, when you've got 100 memory entries - it'll take you a long time. I used my RT Systems Programming Software to assign every memory entry in Group 0 with a Select Scan attribute of *1 and did the same for the memory entries in Group 1.

Next step is to then press the SCAN button which gives you a pop-up menu of options. Tap on SEL to start a Select Scan. You must make sure in the information at the bottom of the screen the SEL parameters are as follows:

Group - must be set to ALL
Edge ch - 00-00 --- S99
Sel No. *1

Now it'll Scan all memory entries in Group 0 and Group 1.

Happy days! :D:D

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
The documentation says Select Scan is limited to (9) memory channels...have you succeeded in tagging and scanning more than that??

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 11

AOR-262

The documentation says Select Scan is limited to (9) memory channels...have you succeeded in tagging and scanning more than that??[/QUOTE
The documentation says Select Scan is limited to (9) memory channels...have you succeeded in tagging and scanning more than that??

@pwscott

I've read that also from the R8600 manual. However, I have 100 frequencies in Group 0 marked as *1 and 20 frequencies in Group 1 also marked *1 ... which if you follow how I've done this in my previous message, I am now able to scan the 120 frequencies I've got. It's scanning 100 in Group 0 and then scans 20 in Group 1. So I've achieved what I wanted to do which I thought wasn't possible.

It seems as if there's a misunderstanding of how the Select Memory works from the description in the R8600 manual.

My understanding is this -- firstly, the R8600 cannot do Bank Linking. The workaround call it that, which seems to be the only way is to assign a Select Number (between 1 and 9) to a memory channel (regardless of what Group that memory channel is in). There is no limit to how many memory channels that can be assigned a Select Number -- you could have 500 memory channels scattered thought all the Groups (the R8600 has a total of 100 Groups) all assigned as *1 and another 500 memory channels assigned *2 ... and so on ... up to *9.

If you replicate what I've done you'll understand the explanation you've read in the R8600 manual on how the Select Memory works doesn't actually mean you're limited to a total of 9 memory channels assigned as Select Memory. My original understanding was I was limited to 9 Select Memory channels out of a total of 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.