Funnel Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

gus426

Premium Subscriber
I'm just wondering if this is a funnel cloud I captured as a storm came through our area last week..

Thanks,

Gus

Attachments

• 1238463591.jpg
    1238463591.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,675
Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Odds are against it, since it looks like several similar clouds reaching down. Was it rotating? Where was it in relation to the core of the storm?

gus426

Premium Subscriber
It was actually as the storm started to pass through so I would say these clouds were at the front of the storm, It seemed like the cloud was rotating very slowly but it did look like it was extending downward as I was watching it. Thank you for your response...

Gus

rdale

Premium Subscriber
It was probably related to some outflow at the leading edge... A little rotation is possible in those, but odds are against it being a "real" funnel cloud.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I'd say it's just some "scud" or a poorly organized shelf cloud. Neither one are really indicators of any type of severe weather on their own, but a shelf cloud is usually associated with the gust front which can have winds that exceed severe limits. Scud is often confused with a funnel or tornado by untrained people, and even once in a while by trained spotters.

Were there any warnings issued with this storm?

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
A wall cloud in a non-supercell could be anywhere, so don't let that part knock it out of possibility.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
A non-rotating wall cloud (i.e. a wall cloud in a non-supercell) is simply the lowering of the base where the air is rising into the storm. It has no meaning when it comes to severe weather. It has no significance in any form, other than saying "That's where the inflow to the storm is going up."

ONLY if a wall cloud is rotating is it an important feature.

Brebuck

I've not encountered this definition of wall cloud before, but this makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for the epiphany.

LouisvilleScanMan

Premium Subscriber
A non-rotating wall cloud (i.e. a wall cloud in a non-supercell) is simply the lowering of the base where the air is rising into the storm. It has no meaning when it comes to severe weather. It has no significance in any form, other than saying "That's where the inflow to the storm is going up."

ONLY if a wall cloud is rotating is it an important feature.

What about the tornados that come from non-supercell storms? Do those storms rotate too? I know, I'm a strom spotter and should know this but it was not covered in the training I took.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Those do not rotate. Rotating storms are supercells, non-rotaters are non-supercells...

rdale

Premium Subscriber
That's pretty much it. There's nothing really that shows up in radar, there's no good location to look for. Most non-supercell tornadoes are much smaller / weaker than their supercell big brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.