Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
Everybody post funny things that you've heard in the past.I'll go first.

Engine 101 dispatch, we got the plug behind engine... uhhh....We got the plug.

P.S. I got this idea from another website.
Just heard a guy stole tow truck at gunpoint then drove to police department. He wanted to complain about the towing g company. Both CT state police and Hartford CT police were besides themselves. Funny as hell

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
This was a good several years back when I was a young teen and I'm at the mall while my mom and grandmother are shopping. Me being the little nerd I am, I bring an HT to entertain myself and find the frequency used at the store we are in.

Pretty soon the guy that is helping my mom and grandmother gets on the radio and starts complaining about them. They weren't doing anything, but apparently he was annoyed and was going on on the radio about how they were "a mess and a handful."

So, we go to check out and the same guy rings us up. Little me is standing there with the radio still on the store's frequency when the guy radios something in. He hears his voice coming out of my HT and gets really nervous and goes "uh.... can you hear me on that?" and I was like "every word" :LOL: The poor guy looked so panicked because I'm sure he knew I was listening when he was talking bad about my family members.

One of my most funny in-person radio stories to this day.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Just heard a call to the police to report to Walmart for help in apprehending a shoplifter. The shoplifter stole a shirt and - get this - a home pregnancy test.

Can't say I've ever heard that one before.

KB7MIB

So, an MHL would be an Emotionally Disturbed Person, or EDP.

In California, they'd be termed a 5150, from the California penal code. It's also a popular street slang term, at least on the West Coast, thanks to a song or two.

In Arizona, the common radio brevity code is 918.

John
Peoria, AZ

wa3hdi

The Arc is an nationwide organization for developmentally disabled persons. It changed its name from the initialization ARC, to remove reference to "retarded".

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
So, an MHL would be an Emotionally Disturbed Person, or EDP.

In California, they'd be termed a 5150, from the California penal code. It's also a popular street slang term, at least on the West Coast, thanks to a song or two.

In Arizona, the common radio brevity code is 918.

John
Peoria, AZ

I'm sure you already know this, John...
there's a Phoenix fire engine 918. I chuckle every time I hear them get dispatched and I'm sure the police have a good ol laugh, too.

Not exactly funny, but something to make you go eek! A fire department was just dispatched to a regional park with lots of hiking trails. Lady was at the park and was sitting in a chair and "suddenly" had a rattlesnake beneath her chair. She hasn't been bit yet, but she's afraid to move. Can't say that I blame her. I can only imagine her anxiety level as she waits for the engine to get there and remove the snake.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I'm sure you already know this, John...
there's a Phoenix fire engine 918. I chuckle every time I hear them get dispatched and I'm sure the police have a good ol laugh, too.

Not exactly funny, but something to make you go eek! A fire department was just dispatched to a regional park with lots of hiking trails. Lady was at the park and was sitting in a chair and "suddenly" had a rattlesnake beneath her chair. She hasn't been bit yet, but she's afraid to move. Can't say that I blame her. I can only imagine her anxiety level as she waits for the engine to get there and remove the snake.

I'd have a freaken heart attack! So you better send EMS, too! :cool:

Mike

KB7MIB

Mike, in Arizona, all firefighters are required to hold an EMT-Basic certification. Many have full paramedic certification. About 80% of all calls are medical calls.

An ALS engine or ladder company would have 2 firefighters and 2 firefighter-paramedics onboard. So your EMS would be the same crew that is removing the snake :)

John
Peoria, AZ

jac-3

Call yesterday,. At least 2 engines & a chief's car on the scene of cars trapped in high water:

Command to dispatch, make that three cars stuck, somebody just drove past us and is stuck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk