fuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondi1

yeasu 7900 dual band . i was listening and changed frequency when the radio went dead. i turned it back on it seems fine what could have happened? should i return it only about two weeks old?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it turned right back on, then it wasn't a fuse. When a fuse "blows", it opens the circuit and the fuse must be replaced to restore power (hopefully after you've fixed the fault).

There are probably a couple of things that could have happened:

1. Loose connection. Make sure everything is tight. Pay close attention to any crimped connectors. If not crimped correctly, they'll cause intermittent failures. Soldering is almost always a good idea.

2. Static electricity. I had an old FT-2400 2 meter mobile in my truck many years ago. I had it mounted to the front edge of the bench seat in my pickup. Sometimes when I'd slide across the seat, the static electricity would build up and the radio would shut down. I'd have to manually turn it back on. I fixed this by running a short ground wire from the radio body the truck body under the seat.

3. You didn't mention what you were using for a power supply? Is this base or mobile. If it's a base, what kind of power supply are you using. If it's a mobile, where is the power coming from?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK.
Make sure all connections are tight. Like I said above, any "crimped only" connection should be suspect.

Make sure the radio body is grounded. Don't just rely on the negative power lead.

If it keeps happening, it'll take some more work to find the root cause. I suspect it's just a static electricity thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.