Future Paid Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Having seen how very committed Uniden is to supporting its current scanner models, I would be very much willing to pay a reasonable amount a $$$ to see significant improvements on my BCD396T. By reasonable, I mean in the price range of $75 to 125$.

Sounds reasonable?

How do you guys/gals feel about this?

Airdorn

They're prolly already hard at work on the next model scanner, and the 396/996T will be second banana with no more upgrades.

mancow

Database Admin
Then why the trouble to implement the ESN/CKHSUM firmware?

I bet there will be ample opportunity for us to give Uniden our money. :wink:

mancow

Database Admin
yea, I heard about it.

Too much money and time must really do tricks on a person's head. :roll:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
She probably has man hands anyway...lol

I hope they will offer feature "sets" with different prices with the option to purchase all of the upgrades with a master "set" at a reduced package price.

HIP

I would definetly pay for an upgrade to the simulcast systems reception. $125 too much $50 would be acceptable for anything really major as suggested....

bonus1331

Multi-site=$25
Close Call DND=$25
Temporary LO=$15
Display color options=$15

Obviously for the 396.
I would like a true ala carte selection.
Would assume the above would be relatively easy, just to get the 396 the same feature set as the 996.

I believe hitting the $100 mark on any one upgrade may put people on hold and wait for the new model.

Viper43

I think anything over $50 would cause most to hit the brakes. I know right now it would me, gas just went back up to $3.50 gal and thats breaking me with having driven 1,000 miles the past week, that cuts into the budget too much :(

jpryor

I don't know if I'd pay more for better simulcast reception. In my mind that's something the scanners are supposed to do now, and any improvement should be a fix that's free. Also in regards to the features that are in the 996 but not in the 396, I don't think I'd pay alot or much more for that feature set. If anything as opposed to each individual feature, something like a package with all of those features should be available, as they're not really anything new, so minimal charge to bring the 396 up to speed with the 996 if anything.

Now for something new that I would pay for, that would be NAC decoding capability.

I'm trying to think of other things that I would like these particular scanners to do, but I'm coming up blank at this point (other than other digital modulation formats that may or may not ever be available).

Anything else I'm thinking of off the top of my head would probably be beyond the design limitations of the existing hardware and can hopefully be included in future models (Bluetooth, memory card, etc).

What are other new features that people are thinking of and would be willing to pay for? And I'm not really sure if I can put a specific price on anything at this point.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
1) NAC decoding.
2) Radio ID on trunked systems.
3) MDC decode.

**Fix the issue I'm having with the 396/996 not decoding CC data (not trunking) on a system here.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
rescue161 said:
NAC and MDC decode.

I too would like to see this. Also Func+Scroll Control Latch for the activity display bar.

Last edited:

Go-24

$500 for a scanner and another $125 for updates - no way - give them to me for free!

chgomonitor

Silent Key
CTCSS/DCS Search Mode & P25 Receive

I'd like the radio to be able to demodulate P25 signals on channels programmed for CTCSS/DCS search mode.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I dunno if I would pay for upgrades ,....the way things are going encrypted everywhere,...why keep putting money into something that's probably coming to an end soon anyway , depends how soon your particular area will be going enc i guess if its gonna be a while then might be worth it ,...better than paid upgrades would be to release SDK kit that would allow 3rd parties to build thier own custom firmware , & hopefully some 3rd party would then release some decryption firmware ,...I bet they couldnt make radios fast enough then ,....but I doubt that will ever happen,...Im just happy with what I can get for now,....

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I agree with
Close Call DND=$15 (396)
Temporary LO=$25 (396)
NAC decode...$50 (both)

Anything in the $75-100 range will get people upset at Uniden and drive them to just go buy a brand NEW competitors model for $500

Would be interesting if these are the last Uniden scanners for a while.. save production costs just upgrade these ones via firmware. With only the features you want/need.
Glad I have multiple units of both hehe

What happens if you update your model with everything then it DIES?
Can you re-issue those updates to a new scanner you buy? Im thinking not so its all lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.