Fx1....Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

I know I should KNOW this, but I just can't "bring it forward", as I USED to know and when I read the explanation, it confuses me...... I'm talking about the designation Fx1. Can someone explain it in more simple terms? My brain is having a hard time this morning wrapping my mind @round this. :-(

Now, the reason I ask, is some "agencies" use these Fx1 frequencies as mobile "talk-@round" or "scene" frequencies to prevent from tying up the main repeater or base
frequency. Is there a "remote reciever site" that feeds the mobile's audio back to the
repeater at the main location?

I'm building a "Quatro 10 spreadsheet" that will list all the fire, police, ems, hospitals,
and other government agencies for a 150 mile radius from my Qth in Shreveport, LA.
I'll use this to program my scanners to "monitor" those frequencies durning a Skywarn
or "emergency" (train derailment, chemical fires, explosions, etc) call-ups. I'll have an
antenna up, high enough, hopefully, to hear a lot of these agencies. Small town fire
and police units report in to their bases about tornado sightings, long before the "News"
gets the reports. To me, this would be helpful in reporting this news to the locall NOAA
Wx Office here locally, even if it IS out of their area of responsibility.

Thanks in Advance,

Respectfully,

Don/KA5-LQJ

fineshot1

FCC Station Class Codes

Don, FX1 is an FCC station class code. Its not a frequency designator - that would be a service code. FX1 = Control Station, which can wind up on almost any frequency.

ka5lqj

Hi FINE ;-)

Ok, it's a "control station", what does it control and how does it work? LOL! See? That's what has me "cornfused". A "repeater" can be classified as a "mobile relay", because it picks up the mobile's transmitting frequency and "relays" it on a separate frequency, which ALL the mobiles can hear, because of the Relay stations taller antenna. Now, I've noticed that some Fx1's have a much lower transmit power than the mobiles on the same frequency, so that accomplishes nothing.

The sad thing is I used to know all these things clearly in my mind, but now, it's like my memory or thoughts are "scrambled" and I can't seem to "get it". Having Dementia really
suxs. I can't even imagine what's in store for me next, but then, if it's worse, I don't WANT to know.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5-LQJ

fineshot1

Hi Don - a control station is kinda like a remote base. It can be used to communicate with a remote communications system. For example: A 911 dispatch center needs to be able to dispatch a fire dept that is 60 miles away from the dispatch center. The 911 comm techs install a control station at a tower site that they have local to the fire dept. The FD gets dispatched on a repeater and the control station is setup(programed) similar or the same as a mobile unit. So anyway - the 911 comm techs also can either A: microwave or B: terrestrial circuit (T1 or dedicated twisted pair) backhaul the audio to/from the 911 center in order to be able to dispatch & communicate with this FD. Don't let the label "control station" mess you up,
a control station can be used for a variety of needs depending on how its configured in a radio base station network. Hope that brief description helps.....

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
It also has control over the remote base/repeater besides being able to use it to relay voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.