• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G2 and G3 coming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
This was buried in another thread so I thought it would be better to start a new one to discuss this future product:

We have G2 VHF, G2 UHF and G3 UHF/VHF on order. The external antenna on the G2 has 7-8 dB better signal strength compared to the internal antenna of the G5.

I know in NY and NJ there are several UHF trunked systems and a G2 using the external antenna vs a G5 UHF 7/800 where the UHF uses an internal loop vs 7/800 using the external, this may show a marked improvement on an already proven performer.
7e890e39dab4c7e017b60d77ae1e1204.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdsxfire

EDBM
This was buried in another thread so I thought it would be better to start a new one to discuss this future product:

I know in NY and NJ there are several UHF trunked systems and a G2 using the external antenna vs a G5 UHF 7/800 where the UHF uses an internal loop vs 7/800 using the external, this may show a marked improvement on an already proven performer.
7e890e39dab4c7e017b60d77ae1e1204.jpg

So the G2/G3 are newer models that are single band on vhf and uhf respectively?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
  • G2 is single-band available in either VHF or UHF
  • G3 is dual-band VHF/UHF
  • G4 is single-band 700/800
  • G5 is dual-band available in either VHF/700/800 or UHF/700/800
(700/800 are considered a single band by nearly all manufacturers)

Or, broken down by band:
  • VHF - G2 for single band, G3 if UHF also required, G5 if 700/800 also required
  • UHF - G2 for single band, G3 if VHF also required, G5 if 700/800 also required
  • 700/800 - G4 for single band, G5 if VHF or UHF also required

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
G2 is single band and can be ordered in VHF or UHF

G3 is dual band VHF / UHF

G4 is single band 7/800

G5 is dual band VHF 7/800 or UHF 7/800.

911jeremy

Premium Subscriber
I am in the process of testing a G2 UHF. The external antenna works 100% better on UHF vs the internal antenna on the G5.

Haley

Curious if anyone has the actual freq. range for the G2 and G3. I assume the VHF is the same as I have on my G5? I am curious on the UHF ranges though. I mean as of now the G5 (UHF version) has 4 separate models covering different UHF ranges. I would considering selling some things and picking up a G2 and G3 , especially if the UHF model were to cover down to 380-400. I have been BEYOND impressed with the G5. I have had it for almost 2 years now. Best money I have spent on radio (sorry pager : ) )

911jeremy

Premium Subscriber
Curious if anyone has the actual freq. range for the G2 and G3. I assume the VHF is the same as I have on my G5? I am curious on the UHF ranges though. I mean as of now the G5 (UHF version) has 4 separate models covering different UHF ranges. I would considering selling some things and picking up a G2 and G3 , especially if the UHF model were to cover down to 380-400. I have been BEYOND impressed with the G5. I have had it for almost 2 years now. Best money I have spent on radio (sorry pager : ) )
Looks like the G2 will come in VHF 136-174, UHF A 330-400, UHF B 380-430, UHF C 400-470, or UHF D 450-512
the G3 will be VHF and choice of above UHF.

Haley

Looks like the G2 will come in VHF 136-174, UHF A 330-400, UHF B 380-430, UHF C 400-470, or UHF D 450-512
the G3 will be VHF and choice of above UHF.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping they would put all the UHF bands on one model-----I actually have things I could listen to in all of them. Especially with DMR now.

Status
Not open for further replies.