• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4/G5 Display Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I just got my G5 a couple days ago, so I'm still pretty new to the PPS software. I'm using PPS 03-05_Beta01, and Firmware R11N2. I've had good success programming my local P25 Trunk system, but I've also programmed a knob position for scanning some analog conventional channels. The radio scans the conventional channels fine, but I can not get it to display correctly when it stops on an active channel.

The top of display screen, in big letters, looks like this:

To [CSQ]
Fm [CSQ]

Below in very small letters is the info I want displayed, such as:

"Landing on: Clack SO Net 1"

I could do without the "Landing on" part, but you get the idea: I want my Alpha Tag at the top in big letters instead of the [CSQ] stuff that is currently displayed. (See photo below)

The 15 conventional channels I have in that scan list have a CTCSS tone assigned to them in their source channel. Then I also have the scan list channel set to "Match CT/CDCSS". So why the radio displays the 'CSQ' stuff for each active transmission is mysterious to me. I do have the Protocol Type set to CSQ in each source channel, but that seems to be the only good option there.

Anyone run into this before? The solution is probably staring me in the face and I just don't see it!!

Also, I seem to be able to hold (Stay) on conventional channels, but not on Trunk Talk Groups. Is that just where we are at the moment? Or am I missing a setting or something? I'd read that Hold was a feature possibly coming in a firmware update. Seems odd we'd have it only for Conventional.

Thanks very much for the help! Very impressed with the radio so far BTW.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 685

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
No hold on trunk talkgroups. There is a thread where several of us have posted suggestions to Unication of things we would like to see. Whether or not any of them come to fruition is something only Unication knows. But they did add the Zone/Channel to the main screen so they are listening. I also posted the same thing you have above regarding conventional scanning. You have it programmed right. I made the same suggestion on the thread I mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I just got my G5 a couple days ago, so I'm still pretty new to the PPS software. I'm using PPS 03-05_Beta01, and Firmware R11N2. I've had good success programming my local P25 Trunk system, but I've also programmed a knob position for scanning some analog conventional channels. The radio scans the conventional channels fine, but I can not get it to display correctly when it stops on an active channel.

The top of display screen, in big letters, looks like this:

To [CSQ]
Fm [CSQ]

Below in very small letters is the info I want displayed, such as:

"Landing on: Clack SO Net 1"

I could do without the "Landing on" part, but you get the idea: I want my Alpha Tag at the top in big letters instead of the [CSQ] stuff that is currently displayed. (See photo below)

The 15 conventional channels I have in that scan list have a CTCSS tone assigned to them in their source channel. Then I also have the scan list channel set to "Match CT/CDCSS". So why the radio displays the 'CSQ' stuff for each active transmission is mysterious to me. I do have the Protocol Type set to CSQ in each source channel, but that seems to be the only good option there.

Anyone run into this before? The solution is probably staring me in the face and I just don't see it!!

Also, I seem to be able to hold (Stay) on conventional channels, but not on Trunk Talk Groups. Is that just where we are at the moment? Or am I missing a setting or something? I'd read that Hold was a feature possibly coming in a firmware update. Seems odd we'd have it only for Conventional.

Thanks very much for the help! Very impressed with the radio so far BTW.

The to and from fields are used for MDC1200 signaling on Conventional analog the unit can decode these "Identifiers" just like a radio.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks David and Signal-0 for the replies.

David, the MDC1200 signaling makes sense, but I think you can see the issue if a user can't or doesn't want to utilize that info. Can we put in a request to the engineers to make MDC1200 data a user selectable option? There must be a relatively simple way to display a user's alpha tag (channel name) at the top of the screen when a conventional transmission comes through, without displaying [CSQ]. I think that would benefit your commercial customer base as much as it would us scanning enthusiasts, as not all conventional systems utilize MDC1200 anyway.

Thank you by the way for monitoring this forum and being receptive to our questions and suggestions. It helps inspire confidence in this (new to me) product.

Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.