• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 With Mobile NMO Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience using the G4 or G5 with an NMO antenna for mobile use? I keep my G4 in the car and will occasionally hit dead spots on the TACN system using a stubby 800-900 Motorola antenna, so I am considering installing an NMO antenna. I have been looking at the Larsen LPT700/800NMO and the Larid TRAB7603. Any advise or suggestions about the antennas or coax would be appreciated.

N6ML

You should be careful about the SMA connector when using anything other than the Unication antenna (including the Motorola ones). You could damage the center pin on the connector otherwise. For external antennas, I use a modified BNC adapter. It was sold for use with Baofeng handhelds, and has a skirt around the SMA part, but there's too much skirt for the G5, so I "machined" it down until the SMA connector inserts exactly the same amount as the stock antenna. This provides a good RF connection and mechanical stability, and doesn't squish the pin.

DSCF0313.JPG

My current mobile antenna is really high-tech .. it's a piece of Romex wire stuffed into a SO-239 mag-mount

DSCF0317.JPG

In practice, I generally don't bother with external antennas on the G5 (use the above sometimes with the SDS100) - the G5 does well enough with the stock antenna, clipped to the visor above my head.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I am aware of the issue with the center pin, but so far when switching back to the stock antenna I have not experienced any problems. Also, I agree that usually the G4 works well enough with the stock antenna, but I figured adding an external NMO antenna might be worth it since I only use it in the car.

Prospect62

Wondering if anyone else has tried this and what the results were. Planning on buying a G2 soon and connecting it to my existing VHF NMO antenna in my vehicle (after I toss my analog GE Orion:cry: ) to improve performance.

Just curious.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience using the G4 or G5 with an NMO antenna for mobile use? I keep my G4 in the car and will occasionally hit dead spots on the TACN system using a stubby 800-900 Motorola antenna, so I am considering installing an NMO antenna. I have been looking at the Larsen LPT700/800NMO and the Larid TRAB7603. Any advise or suggestions about the antennas or coax would be appreciated.

Have you considered one of the Remtronix antennas?

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Those Remtronix antennas look interesting and I'll keep them in mind. But, since updating the frequencies for the Black Road site I haven't hit any dead spots. The addition of the new Oak Ridge site also improved the RX coverage quite a bit.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I use my G5 with a Wilson 800mhz magmount antenna and also sometimes the Larsen Tri-Band antenna. While I get more gain with the Wilson one (after all it's just made for 800mhz) I also get a few dead spots around some cell towers. Same thing when I attach a Remtronix 800mhz portable antenna. There are areas where less is more. Other times I can clearly pick up 800mhz P25 systems up to 30 miles away with one of these.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Those Remtronix antennas look interesting and I'll keep them in mind. But, since updating the frequencies for the Black Road site I haven't hit any dead spots. The addition of the new Oak Ridge site also improved the RX coverage quite a bit.
I have one on a G4 at one of our fire stations, for the house bells. It eliminated the signal loss issues. (This was just before Unication introduced their gain antenna.)

Status
Not open for further replies.