• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 not displaying correct MDC1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6ML

It worked at one time. It worked in earlier firmware versions, then stopped. I don't see it as a software problem, but a firmware problem that hasn't been addressed.

Do you remember which version of firmware it last worked in?

TonkatoyLFD

It worked at one time. It worked in earlier firmware versions, then stopped. I don't see it as a software problem, but a firmware problem that hasn't been addressed.
Your probably correct. More likely the software is doing what its supposed to but theFW in the radio is not.. Again, its already there and was working at one point. Fixing it shouldnt be hard. It has been 3 days since last communication with Unication. Im beginning to loose confidence.

N6ML

Is this really a critical issue? It's not preventing you from getting alerted, right? I wouldn't expect an instance fix for something that's mostly cosmetic.... or am I missing something?

TonkatoyLFD

Critical? not really. However it is very important to my organization. It helps us identify units operating at a scene, and even helps with accountability. Another department local to us had a FF go down at a working fire, his mic was damaged, RIT teams were able to figure out who it was and where he was operating by the Identifier. it not critical that it works on my G5 as it does work on all my other radios. That said its ability to display MDC was a major feature that was considered when the unit was purchased, may have opted for a different less expensive option if i knew that this didnt work. Its like buying a brand new car and having the glovebox light not work, is it critical? no. does the car still get you to wear you need to go? yes.. should it work anyway? yes....

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Critical? not really. However it is very important to my organization. It helps us identify units operating at a scene, and even helps with accountability. Another department local to us had a FF go down at a working fire, his mic was damaged, RIT teams were able to figure out who it was and where he was operating by the Identifier. it not critical that it works on my G5 as it does work on all my other radios. That said its ability to display MDC was a major feature that was considered when the unit was purchased, may have opted for a different less expensive option if i knew that this didnt work. Its like buying a brand new car and having the glovebox light not work, is it critical? no. does the car still get you to wear you need to go? yes.. should it work anyway? yes....

Well....your RADIO should be displaying the MDC ID, which I further recommend alpha tagging in all the radios, which would give you an immediate notification of who it was. A G5 pager should not be used this way, and it doesn’t have alpha tagging ability with MDC, which would add another layer of what trying to decipher a HEX during stress. That’s why I also recommend pre vs post MDC because if they key up and can’t speak and just hold the mic, you are not getting the ID until the TOT kicks in, usually at 60 seconds. So while you would like it to work, and I’m sure in a future update it will, it is by no means critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brndnstffrd

Not to take this off-topic, but the G5 doesn't have the ability to do alphatags for MDC? They mentioned MDC as a feature, but this is the first i heard about no alpha tagging as i just assumed it would do that. That would be a major factor in my decision process for purchasing like TonkatoyLTD

TonkatoyLFD

I can live without alpha tags in my instance as each radio carries the apparatus identifier and then radio number which is located to a certain team.. example the rig is 1-6-7 radio ids as 1671 meaning radio 1 off of 167. radio 1 is always assigned to a specific team. so the simple identifier says plenty to me. But i can see how alpha tagging would be a great feature in most instances.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I can live without alpha tags in my instance as each radio carries the apparatus identifier and then radio number which is located to a certain team.. example the rig is 1-6-7 radio ids as 1671 meaning radio 1 off of 167. radio 1 is always assigned to a specific team. so the simple identifier says plenty to me. But i can see how alpha tagging would be a great feature in most instances.

The only problem is that Radio 1671 has it's ID programmed as hexadecimal, which will show up as 687 in decimal.

TonkatoyLFD

The only problem is that Radio 1671 has it's ID programmed as hexadecimal, which will show up as 687 in decimal.
Pretty much.... If the G5 would display Hexadecimal like its supposed to when that format is the selected display format then all would be just fine. Problem is the software lets you select the format you want displayed (decimal or hexadecimal) but regardless of what you select in software the G5 always displays Decimal. Again, its something broke in the software, or firmware. the fix should not be difficult. This issue was brought to unication from myself and my unication dealer, they are looking into it. Seems like a pretty canned BS reply to me. especially since days have gone by and no update has been provided. First dealings with unication and to this point i am not impressed.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
It has been brought to their attention before. I just don't think it is as high a priority as some other issues like P25 Phase II or DMR. You also have to realize that you are only the third or fourth person that I have seen who would like to see this fix, so it may not even be an issue to most customers. The Unication business model is professional users who buy in bulk, not individual users. Unication reports that only 1-2% of their sales are to individuals, so the casual user doesn't have a lot of juice when it comes to things like this. If it was an issue for MPSCS users, you could bet your butt that it would have already been fixed.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
This issue was brought to unication from myself and my unication dealer, they are looking into it. Seems like a pretty canned BS reply to me. especially since days have gone by and no update has been provided. First dealings with unication and to this point i am not impressed.

You and your dealer have brought it to their attention. After “days” you haven’t gotten an update and are not impressed. Do you honestly think that you, one person, is going to make their programmers write code to fix the firmware in that timeframe ? Lots of requests have been made for things like talkgroup hold. Even that is not a priority and has still not been implemented where something like DMR has. It’s all about their “entire” customer base, not just “you” the individual user. Not impressed....look at all the bugs with Uniden models. Many still in that list. But I’ll put my Unication up against any scanner when it comes to LSM and it will kick it’s ass everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.