• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 scanning two systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Well no it will be useless until they are on the P25 system. They are leaving the SmartZone System it has been unsupported by Motorola for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
It will not work the old system, it will only work on P25 systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Oh, okay I think. I thought the new system was the Smart Zone? If Smart Zone is the old system why does my scanner have the old one programmed in?

N6ML

I guess the confusion might be that "Type II" sounds newer than "Phase I", but they're completely different systems. SmartZone is the old/obsolete one.

I can hear the SRRCS Twitchell Island site on my G5 here in Brentwood. Just heard SO on talkgroup 3847.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Oh okay, I had the new one programmed at first and I removed it because it sounded so bad and put the Smart Zone in and it works better on my TRX-1. Is the new one DMR because that's what it was coming across like, sounded like everyone was either foreign or drunk. So it's safe to get G5 for this area then? Back to the drawing board.

N6ML

Here's a quick clip. No audio until ~28 seconds in. I need to learn how to edit video some day :)

N6ML

Oh okay, I had the new one programmed at first and I removed it because it sounded so bad and put the Smart Zone in and it works better on my TRX-1. Is the new one DMR because that's what it was coming across like, sounded like everyone was either foreign or drunk. So it's safe to get G5 for this area then? Back to the drawing board.

It's P25, not DMR.

Assuming you're on the simulcast site, the TRX-1, and any scanner other than the Uniden SDS100/200 will likely struggle with simulcast - it may work fine in some locations, but be broken/garbled most of the time. It's a well-known problem. The G4/5 works great on simulcast. You should be aware that it is not a scanner, though, so it may or may not be the right solution for you, depending on your use-case. In my opinion, the G4/G5 work best when you want to focus on a fairly small set of talkgroups (at a time) on a single P25 system.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, yes, all I really want is local fire, sheriff and pd, I usually only listen to about 8 talk groups around here, it would be nice to take to work and use the TRX-1 for everything else. So when programming the G5 if I just go down the line and add talk groups will the name of the group be automatically figured out or do I have to add the name and all information?

N2YQT

Ambulance Driver
Premium Subscriber
When you start listening to the digital modes more the voice will start to sound more natural. Your brain adapts to fill in the holes sorta speak.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, yes, all I really want is local fire, sheriff and pd, I usually only listen to about 8 talk groups around here, it would be nice to take to work and use the TRX-1 for everything else. So when programming the G5 if I just go down the line and add talk groups will the name of the group be automatically figured out or do I have to add the name and all information?

You have to enter every little detail into the software program manually. Well, you can copy and paste, but you get the idea: the Unication software does not draw data from an online source like your EZScan program does for the TRX-1. So you can name your talkgroups whatever you like but there is a character limit of 15 characters I believe.

N6ML

You have to enter every little detail into the software program manually. Well, you can copy and paste, but you get the idea: the Unication software does not draw data from an online source like your EZScan program does for the TRX-1. So you can name your talkgroups whatever you like but there is a character limit of 15 characters I believe.

PPS 0.3.14 (currently in beta) does allow importing of talkgroups and P25 system frequencies from CSV files exported from RadioReference. It's limited to 512 talkgroups per import, though.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Also be aware that SRRCS is currently using an audio bridge between the analog and digital systems so if a user is talking on the analog system the audio will sound distorted on the digital system and if they are talking on the digital system it will sound distorted on the analog system. This should go away after everyone switches to the digital system.

The LSM issues for scanners will likely remain a problem though. The Unications are the best solution I have found for that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.