• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 TG scan not stopping on transmissions already in-progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

county

Premium Subscriber
G5 TG-scan not stopping on transmissions already in-progress

Hello!

Say I wondered if any of you have encountered what's described below and if you know of a setting that could be causing this.

When performing a trunking talkgroup non-priority scan, I have noticed the radio does not play any audio on transmissions unless it catches the transmission from the very beginning. Already in-progress transmissions are being ignored. For example, say the radio is receiving a call on the Fire Dispatch talkgroup and simultaneously on the same system, the Police Dispatch talkgroup becomes active also, the Fire Dispatch traffic ends while Police Dispatch is still transmitting, the radio will not scan over to the Police TG and play the traffic as it is mid-transmission. Only the next (new) transmission from the beginning will be picked up by the radio. It's not a matter of the delay setting holding on the old TG as I've tested for that.

I have verified this behavior multiple times using a secondary radio (Uniden BCD436HP) for confirmation the received Police Dispatch traffic well beyond the scan hold delay duration after the Fire transmission ended . . yet the G5 never opened the audio on the Police Dispatch channel, until the NEXT transmission by Police.. using the example I mentioned above. I've seen the behavior on multiple talkgroups not just the one cited in the example.

I have noticed even in monitor mode, all transmissions received seem to be only from the very beginning, never already in-progress.

Obviously this is a concern as it means missed traffic.

Edit: I'm on latest Firmware - R11P.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Hello!

Say I wondered if any of you have encountered what's described below and if you know of a setting that could be causing this.

When performing a trunking talkgroup non-priority scan, I have noticed the radio does not play any audio on transmissions unless it catches the transmission from the very beginning. Already in-progress transmissions are being ignored. For example, say the radio is receiving a call on the Fire Dispatch talkgroup and simultaneously on the same system, the Police Dispatch talkgroup becomes active also, the Fire Dispatch traffic ends while Police Dispatch is still transmitting, the radio will not scan over to the Police TG and play the traffic as it is mid-transmission. Only the next (new) transmission from the beginning will be picked up by the radio. It's not a matter of the delay setting holding on the old TG as I've tested for that.

I have verified this behavior multiple times using a secondary radio (Uniden BCD436HP) for confirmation which received Police Dispatch traffic well beyond the scan hold delay duration after the Fire transmission ended . . yet the G5 never opened the audio on the Police Dispatch channel, until the NEXT transmission by Police.. using the example I mentioned above. I've seen the behavior on multiple talkgroups not just the one cited in the example.

I have noticed even in monitor mode, all transmissions received seem to be only from the very beginning, never already in-progress.

Edit: I'm on latest Firmware - R11P.

Thanks for your input!

Just a guess…do you have ONLY the control freqs programmed on the G5, but ALL site freqs programmed on the Uniden?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed this with my G5 as well. As far as I know there is no setting change that would fix it. You could try adding the other system frequencies, but I doubt that would matter. I could be wrong, but I think it's just the way the radio is designed to scan. It seems to only respond to channel grants. This behavior doesn't bother me, I feel that while it does miss some things it still catches plenty of traffic on my local system.

T-Santon

I have also noticed exactly what you described with my G5...

And while it does annoy me quite a bit (along with the insanely loud encryption garble, and the inability to hold or lockout a talkgroup), I still have never owned a scanner that came anywhere close to my G5 in terms of reception. This 'pager' had my jaw on the floor for the entire first week I owned it.

I hope some of these little quirks eventually get fixed in future updates. But even if they don't, I'll likely buy another one.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed that in particular with my G5 (not saying it doesn't do it, just haven't noticed) but I have noticed it skips a transmission in progress when powering on. It's probably the same root cause.

In the LMR world, entering a transmission in process is called "late entry". I believe subscriber units can late enter based on update messages sent on the CC.

county

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed that in particular with my G5 (not saying it doesn't do it, just haven't noticed) but I have noticed it skips a transmission in progress when powering on. It's probably the same root cause.

In the LMR world, entering a transmission in process is called "late entry". I believe subscriber units can late enter based on update messages sent on the CC.

Good to know!

I view absence of late-entry as a concern . . especially since the radio has to rely on 100% successful decode of the initial channel grant, and in a mobile environment that is no guarantee. Late-entry would sure add to the robustness.

Thanks all for your input!!

jimf

I notice this situation the first day I used the G5. It is a great radio and at least for me solves the issues with my local system. Having said that, I miss between 5 and 10 transmission an hour. I have confirmed this by using two other scanners and PRO96Com. I hear the transmission on the scanners and see the channel grant on PRO96Com. I have never missed two transmissions in a row, and I cannot pinpoint any particular cause. I would have to agree that if the radio misses the channel grant, it will not receive any of the transmission.

cpetraglia

My G4 is the same. I have entered all the frequencies and it is not necessary. It doesn't help. If I don't hear the beginning of a transmission, I am still very happy that I can hear anything compared to my scanners terrible LSM reception. I can live with it.

cpetraglia

No. But I sent a PM to Unication Dave who said he knows about it and is working on it. I never did ask how he knows about it. Could it be my thread, or is it possible there are other systems causing this problem. As this point, I have a $1000.00 setup (Pager and Base/Charger) that are useless. I am still able to listen in on some distant counties, but's that's not what I bought it for. Thankfully, my Relm portable is picking up the slack and I am getting a quote on another Relm.

county

Premium Subscriber
I spent the past week carrying the G5 as my primary radio and even when parked on an FD dispatch TG I had two instances of a completely missed dispatch presumably due to the radio missing the initial channel grant due to an RF gremlin. (Uniden scanner I was in earshot of caught the dispatch when the G5 didn't). I would expect late-entry would resolve this problem. I consider it a significant one.

hiddenrun

Premium Subscriber
Glad I read this before buying. There's someone named "Ryan Spencer" who has posted a series of videos showing other flaws.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqgRAFhuBotYIHzEo-MzoHg

This "Ryan Spencer" is obviously a nay sayer.

Take the time to read ALL the positive posts and positive things that actual users are saying about the unication g4 and g5.

Sure there are some changes we as users would like to see and we have seen several improvements already through firmware upgrades.

Joker? Really? Did he forget what this unit was marketed for in the first place. I think it does very well considering it is a pager and CAN be used for scanning.

i have the G5V mine works GREAT i use a Motorola Astro Spectra Plus for Non-Afflilation scanning as my base radio and the G5 picks up before the Spectra Plus lol Lucky Me.

W8VI

Even with the late entry issue I am hearing significantly more accurate (back and forth) PS traffic on my G4 than on the BCD536 and 436 combined.

I'm also now hearing 4 adjacent county's systems accurately where before I was lucky to hear just 1 adjacent county.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Glad I read this before buying. There's someone named "Ryan Spencer" who has posted a series of videos showing other flaws.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqgRAFhuBotYIHzEo-MzoHg

My excitement with this radio had faded somewhat too and I think that some of the issues Ryan Spencer has
pointed out are very important for first responders. You're talking about $700.00 for a radio that is almost impossible to change any settings while receiving. On a positive note, the G5 handles simulcast distortion best out of any scanner that I've owned.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
My excitement with this radio had faded somewhat too and I think that some of the issues Ryan Spencer has
pointed out are very important for first responders. You're talking about $700.00 for a radio that is almost impossible to change any settings while receiving. On a positive note, the G5 handles simulcast distortion best out of any scanner that I've owned.

it is possible with current firmware to make changes in the menu easier when monitoring a 700/800 system... unscrew the antenna. It is not the most elegant solution but it should allow you to make the changes you need while waiting for a release that fixes the issue.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
it is possible with current firmware to make changes in the menu easier when monitoring a 700/800 system... unscrew the antenna. It is not the most elegant solution but it should allow you to make the changes you need while waiting for a release that fixes the issue.

Ha ha, I love it. And I love my Unication pager (Not "radio")

Looking forward to Phase2, DMR and TG hold and delete. That would make it top notch for sure!

Thanks for an excellent, high quality product

Status
Not open for further replies.