Garland Fire Rescue still transmitting in the clear ? If so, what type pager / scanner will work to listen

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9veteran

Hello, I am a retired military FF living in Garland. Only thing I am interested in listening to is Garland Fire Rescue. Is Garland fire dispatch and ops still transmitting in the clear or did they go encripted also? If people can still listen, what equipment is being using to listen to Garland Fire ? Pager or scanner and if you have any suggestions where to purchase & program locally, please advise .... THANKS IN ADVANCE for your assistance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am a retired military FF living in Garland. Only thing I am interested in listening to is Garland Fire Rescue. Is Garland fire dispatch and ops still transmitting in the clear or did they go encripted also? If people can still listen, what equipment is being using to listen to Garland Fire ? Pager or scanner and if you have any suggestions where to purchase & program locally, please advise .... THANKS IN ADVANCE for your assistance.
Garland is on this system:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8559

That's a P25 Phase II system. Garland Fire is not encrypted, and Sachse PD and FD are also in the crear. Mesquite & Rowlett elected to fully encrypt all PD and FD talkgroups.

Note that this system, particularly as it pertains to Garland, is simulcast. That can cause distortion depending on your location in relation to the actual tower sites. Here's a map of the sites in use:
1556126912394.png
For more information on Simulcast, and the problems that sometimes occur trying to monitor a simulcast system, see this page in the Wiki:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion

I have no problems monitoring the system from home, but I'm in southwest Dallas, so simulcast is not a factor. If you are in Garland, particularly if you are in between several sites, at differing distances from you, it could be an issue. In some cases, using less of an antenna on your scanner can alleviate the distortion. In other instances, you may have more success using a directional antenna aimed at one specific site.

Current Model Uniden:

Note that ALL of the scanners below will receive P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II signals. All (except the HomePatrol-2) can utilize paid upgrades to receive DMR systems, NXDN, or ProVoice.
Uniden BCD436HP (Handheld)
Uniden BCD536HP (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BCD325P2 (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996P2 (Base Mobile)
Uniden SDS100 (Handheld)
Uniden SDS200 (Base/Mobile)

Uniden Home Patrol 2
This model can be used as a desktop scanner, or with optional available mounts, used in a vehicle. While not really designed as a ‘true handheld scanner’, it does run on batteries and can be carried in a coat pocket or in a small belt tool holster.

Current Model Whistler:
All of the scanners in this group can receive P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II signals. These also can utilize a free upgrade for receiving DMR systems.
WS1088 (Handheld) Has keypad.
WS1098 (Base/Mobile) Has keypad and a detachable head for mobile installations.

TRX-1 (Handheld) Has keypad.
TRX-2 (Base/Mobile) Has keypad and a detachable head for mobile installations.
The TRX-1 & TRX-2 also have an available free upgrade to enable reception of NXDN systems.

Previous Whistler Models that are also P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II capable, also have a free DMR upgrade:
WS1080 (Handheld) (Same as the WS1088, except lacking the numeric keypad)
WS1095 (Base/Mobile) (Same as the WS1098, except lacking the numeric keypad)

These scanners have a paid upgrade available through Whistler, to make them DMR capable, as well as P25 Phase I & Phase II (all except the Pro-18 were already Phase II capable). This upgrade also makes them eligible for support from Whistler. All are discontinued units. Also see this RadioReference thread.
GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack PRO-18 (Handheld)
Radio Shack Pro-668 (Handheld)

The best scanners, currently, as far as Simulcast is concerned, are Uniden's SDS100 and SDS200.
Next best for Simulcast for Uniden would be the BCD436HP and BCD536HP.
I have all of the models above.

Reports on Simulcast performance are mixed on Uniden's BCD325P2 and BCD996P2. Some people report good results, others, not so much. I have the 325P2.

The Home Patrol 2, while a good 'listening' scanner, would not be the best choice for simulcast. I have the HP-2, and it does well for me, but as noted above, my location is outside where simulcast is a factor.

Of the Whistler scanners noted above, I have the TRX-1. I find that it overloads more easily in an rf dense environment. In my case, it's utility is hampered by the numerous cell towers near me. For the Whistler scanners in general, some people are having no issues, others find them useless in a simulcast area. Simulcast is extremely specific to your location related to the tower sites, and also to where you have the scanner at in your home. At times, moving the scanner a foot or so in one direction or another can result in a noticeable improvement in reception.

Hopefully, someone in the Garland/Mesquite/Rowlett area will chime in with what is working for them.

I'm not aware of any retail source locally that offers programming. However, Ham Radio Outlet does have a location in Plano where you can look at many of the models listed. Note that of all the Phase II capable scanners listed above, all but Uniden's 325P2 and 996P2 are 'database scanners'. The RadioReference database is on a mini-SD memory card installed in the scanner. Uniden and Whistler each provide software that can be used to program your database scanner, and also download updates to the main database. These updates are free, included in the purchase at no additional charge to you.

For the 325P2 and 996P2, FreeSCAN software can be used for programming. As the name implies, it is free to use. However, if you want to be able to import from the main RadioReference database into software, you would need to be a Premium Subscriber. There are also two other software programs available, which require purchase of a license after their free trial period expires. For more on software for Uniden scanners, see this.

For the Whistler/GRE database scanners, there is no third party software. However, manufacturer supplied EZ-Scan software is provided at no charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.