Gatineau system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmisk

Just took a look at the Gatineau system. I can receive six repeater sites, and perhaps there are more.
Compare this to Ottawa's two repeater sites.

I wonder how the Gatineau system is performing?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just took a look at the Gatineau system. I can receive six repeater sites, and perhaps there are more.
Compare this to Ottawa's two repeater sites.

I wonder how the Gatineau system is performing?

Site count is not indicative of how a radio system performs.

There are many, many variables that come into design of a radio system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mciupa

Database Admin
I like seeing the puzzle solved with all the pieces. Even if not monitorable, it is still interesting to study with software in case I'm there in my travels.

mmisk

Gatineau is very weak where I live, cannot receive all site control frequencies.

Perhaps someone closer can correct my list.

Gatineau- 8B0 Control Frequencies
Site 1.1 » 866.1625
Site 1.2 » 867.????
Site 1.3 » 866.3000
Site 1.4 » 866.6125
Site 1.5 » 866.2750
Site 1.6 » 866.1750
Site 1.7 » 866.2500
Site 1.8 » 866.3625

DaveH

Full encryption on police and fire has been a given on this system. Not sure but if it follows pattern from the previous P25
system, police would be 11xx (plus 10xx now), fire 12xx. Gatineau services have their own NXDN system, all clear.

Dave

mmisk

Drifting a bit OT but wondering why...it is out of range of both of you, 100% encrypted and French.

Dave
I suspect the repeater sites are low. Perhaps using many transmitters with lower antennas gives better building penatration?
Similar to the many cell sites mounted low throughout the city. I only have very weak signal strength here.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I suspect the repeater sites are low. Perhaps using many transmitters with lower antennas gives better building penatration?
Similar to the many cell sites mounted low throughout the city. I only have very weak signal strength here.

Likely done to keep each sites coverage confined to a smaller area. It may help with in-building coverage, by keeping the coverage area smaller.

Low level cell sites are a result of needing throughput capacity. By limiting coverage, you reduce the number of users able to access the site, this is further augmented by physical and or electrical downtilt to beam form coverage, allowing more bandwidth per user. It also allows the use of much higher frequencies.

Rather than have a 3 sector site @100m that would service an area with a radius of up to 60km, and support a very limited number of users, you build 100-200 3 sector sites in that same area and be able to service hundreds of thousands of customers at much higher network speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.