GATRRS (West Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
this is true I can still hear the local SO's on there analog and digital channels, I'm kind of curious to see who ends up using it.... The PBRPC system didn't get much use from any one but Odessa &Ector county

Judging from what has transpired for Midland SO, you are not going to hear them in the clear.

slayer7303

I have a trx 2 and a pro 197 that I am trying to set up for the GATRRS system here, I have all the local VHF S.O and DPS for this area already set up.... just trying to figure out how to set it up for the GATRRS net...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased SDR for analysis, but I don't know how to use it yet. Good luck. I was in Big Spring over Christmas and nobody seemed to know what was happening. You can run Pro96.com on that 197. That is what I used to analyze the Woodway system near Waco. However, I have never attempted to do so on a large system like GATRRS. I have monitored this radio system while in Austin and around Central Texas. I was shocked when I learned that the Permian area was moving to this system.

In fact, although it is listed as Phase II, there are no identified Phase II talk groups on GATRRS, at all.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
The GATRRS system in West Texas is all phase I. I have already decoded many of the sites in Odessa-midland. Just have talk groups in the log. Some are encrypted I have yet to let is scan a site and record audio to try and figure out what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
yes Midland so has move to Midlands new phase 2 system and most coms are encrypted....

Did not k kw this. Ke5pl identified a group already that I earlier posted as midland so on GATRRS. Unless they changed up and have a patch to midland trs, which is plausible

slayer7303

The GATRRS system in West Texas is all phase I. I have already decoded many of the sites in Odessa-midland. Just have talk groups in the log. Some are encrypted I have yet to let is scan a site and record audio to try and figure out what it is

do you have them in one bank or in several banks? I have mine in one bank and don't seem to be catching coms...

slayer7303

Did not k kw this. Ke5pl identified a group already that I earlier posted as midland so on GATRRS. Unless they changed up and have a patch to midland trs, which is plausible

the CoM has a phase 2 trs but the SO uses a phase 2 conventional freqs and what I hear are encrypted...

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
do you have them in one bank or in several banks? I have mine in one bank and don't seem to be catching coms...

Not sure where you are located. I have all in one bank now rest is cut in. But I park on one for a while and and decode the control channel. Though may be testing, etc, I will get login hits on talk groups and radio ids. Plan was to see where most hits are and if voice was passed and get them. I need to use pro96.com and let it record audio with the groups next. Strictly in exploratory mode still. Txdot May be all you gonna get on it though. Rumor was big spring was wanting to put up own trs. Odessa controlling that side. Midland never went in. So idk. Rural counties as far as I know still use own repeaters. Old pbrin was a waste of money as no one signed on for most part.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
the CoM has a phase 2 trs but the SO uses a phase 2 conventional freqs and what I hear are encrypted...

K. I misunderstood maybe. Thought was saying midland so was on the trs of midland. Have that Harris system in an apx8500 as passive/monitor only and was like do I need to search more talk groups

slayer7303

Not sure where you are located. I have all in one bank now rest is cut in. But I park on one for a while and and decode the control channel. Though may be testing, etc, I will get login hits on talk groups and radio ids. Plan was to see where most hits are and if voice was passed and get them. I need to use pro96.com and let it record audio with the groups next. Strictly in exploratory mode still. Txdot May be all you gonna get on it though. Rumor was big spring was wanting to put up own trs. Odessa controlling that side. Midland never went in. So idk. Rural counties as far as I know still use own repeaters. Old pbrin was a waste of money as no one signed on for most part.

I live in McCamey and work in Odessa and Midland...soo when im in Odessa I need to lock in on the no trees sites and then back to king mtn..

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

I heard that Big Spring was building their own system. I heard this from a ranking official with the city of Big Spring.

niklas12345

Premium Subscriber
I heard that Big Spring was building their own system. I heard this from a ranking official with the city of Big Spring.

Big Spring is building one or two sites of P25 Phase 2 TDMA, that uses the Harris Core that CoM owns.
Total waste of money doing the Harris route as they too will be an island and have NO control over use of system as CoM does not play well with others.

One of the primary causes of this messed up situation was Moto had a sales guy at the time, who dropped the ball when BGS was seeking bids and RFP's. He's same guy that let Odessa wander off into never never land with their personal M3 Core.

Sometimes, being greedy, making that sale is not best thing for the good of the group.

Based on what I have seen, Moto could / would make more in subscriber and service sales than the one shot deal of selling a core.

It is interesting to note that the PSAP for Ector and Mildand will NOT be able to access the PB ssystem dut to short sightedness of the system owners.

Hummmmmmm......do the math on that one.

PB connected to GATRRS core cause CoO was being stupid about working together, wanting bunches of $$$ with no user control allowed.

PB is getting more requests daily from PB area agencies for programming permissions and ID's.

This will be a case of "build it, they will come".

DPS, TxDOT, TP&WL, TABC, USMS and others are staying with PB/GATRRS cause of the wide area ability of the linked systems.

CoO sites only will cover Odessa / Ector County... despite recent media coverage and meager attempts by Ector County to build two 3.5 million dollar sites to add to the CoO sites.

Ector County spent $60K on consultants for a few pages of great fiction writing on what they need to do.

They wasted their money.... big time......

There were / are local users who advised them on how to move forward and they listened to so called "experts".

They (CoO system) are still an island.

Maybe someday, sanity and logic will prevail and CoO will see the light and work with the PB folks.

Most likely pigs will fly before then.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Big Spring is building one or two sites of P25 Phase 2 TDMA, that uses the Harris Core that CoM owns.
Total waste of money doing the Harris route as they too will be an island and have NO control over use of system as CoM does not play well with others.

One of the primary causes of this messed up situation was Moto had a sales guy at the time, who dropped the ball when BGS was seeking bids and RFP's. He's same guy that let Odessa wander off into never never land with their personal M3 Core.

Sometimes, being greedy, making that sale is not best thing for the good of the group.

Based on what I have seen, Moto could / would make more in subscriber and service sales than the one shot deal of selling a core.

It is interesting to note that the PSAP for Ector and Mildand will NOT be able to access the PB ssystem dut to short sightedness of the system owners.

Hummmmmmm......do the math on that one.

PB connected to GATRRS core cause CoO was being stupid about working together, wanting bunches of $$$ with no user control allowed.

PB is getting more requests daily from PB area agencies for programming permissions and ID's.

This will be a case of "build it, they will come".

DPS, TxDOT, TP&WL, TABC, USMS and others are staying with PB/GATRRS cause of the wide area ability of the linked systems.

CoO sites only will cover Odessa / Ector County... despite recent media coverage and meager attempts by Ector County to build two 3.5 million dollar sites to add to the CoO sites.

Ector County spent $60K on consultants for a few pages of great fiction writing on what they need to do.

They wasted their money.... big time......

There were / are local users who advised them on how to move forward and they listened to so called "experts".

They (CoO system) are still an island.

Maybe someday, sanity and logic will prevail and CoO will see the light and work with the PB folks.

Most likely pigs will fly before then.

You know, it was either Christmas or Thanksgiving when I watched the news in Big Spring. I watched only one Odessa city council member protest the new Odessa radio system they approved. I also believe he mentioned interoperability. Odessa has a long history of unsavory and corrupt officials inclusive of law enforcement and politicians. I graduated from UTPB. I called Odessa "graft central."

Thank you for your helpful information.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
This is getting crazy in this forum now. BUT, who knows. Someone got a kickback. Historically, Odessa trying to strong arm is reason the got the old controller was the rumor. Who knows in the end.

I also do t see the sense anyways if accurate big spring wanting to link to city of midland

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
This is getting crazy in this forum now. BUT, who knows. Someone got a kickback. Historically, Odessa trying to strong arm is reason the got the old controller was the rumor. Who knows in the end.

I also do t see the sense anyways if accurate big spring wanting to link to city of midland

I believe many folks are duped into these systems from slick sales staff. I just wish west Texas would have a sensible approach to being open like Lubbock. Folks in San Angelo and Wichita Falls aren't so lucky. The Bubba Midland Sheriff needs to be put out to pasture.

Status
Not open for further replies.