Genesee County tower sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironskull

Hi folks. I haven't posted before but am an avid scanner listener and an amateur radio operator. I live in Lapeer County and have a PRO-95 dedicated to Lapeer County and my Pro-96 is set up for the state wide MSPSCS and I also have Flint City programed in. On the statewide frequencies I can pick up all the Genesee County talk groups great until I get in close to Genesee County. Then I hardly ever hear any digital broadcast at all. Recently at my Genesee County disaster drill I had a fellow HAM working staging with me and he said he had the separate MSPSCS towers dedicated on separate banks and the north and south Genesee towers were set like that and that took care of the problem for him in Genesee County. He said that since there are so many site locations that they step all over each other and that causes my problem. I don't know for sure if this is true but if so, can anyone tell me the north and south Genesee County tower freqencies so I can program them in separately? Thanks in advance.

Jack

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There are no separate frequencies, so what he told you was incorrect. They are all exactly the same, which is why it's called a simulcast system.

seamusg

He said that since there are so many site locations that they step all over each other and that causes my problem.

Jack
On a trunked system, the system won't allow two radios to transmit on the same Talk Group or voice channel at the same time. The problem with a scanner on a simulcast system is that the scanner is receiving more than one site at a time.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Another issue could be if you are scanning multiple towers, the traffic you are interested in is not being carried on the tower you are closest to.

Ironskull

The problem is, out where I live which is Otter Lake, I pick up all the transmissions just fine. As I get closer to Flint,I don't pick up anything on the statewide or Genesee County systems. I get Flint PD and fire and everything that is analog but none of the digital or Apco 25 stuff. I just can't figure out why it doesn't come in Flint or just outside of Flint but out here in Otter Lake and in Lapeer County, it all comes in just fine. Thanks.

Jack

a29zuk

As seamusg noted the simulcast systems wreak havoc on our scanners. Also through these forums I have read Pro model scanners are prone to overload. If you are near some other RF source(cellphone tower, etc.) your scanner may be overloaded causing no signal to be heard. You could try turning on your attenuator as you near Genesee County.
I live in Genesee County and cannot listen to the simulcast system on my 396T as the signal is too choppy(see the wiki on this site covering multi site reception). Fortunetly the Holly tower broadcasts all of the Genesee County talkgroups and is receiveable throughout Genesee County south of Mt. Morris. You could have a system setup using the Holly tower frequencies to be used when you are approaching Flint and the surrounding areas.
Good Luck,
Jim

Ironskull

As seamusg noted the simulcast systems wreak havoc on our scanners. Also through these forums I have read Pro model scanners are prone to overload. If you are near some other RF source(cellphone tower, etc.) your scanner may be overloaded causing no signal to be heard. You could try turning on your attenuator as you near Genesee County.
I live in Genesee County and cannot listen to the simulcast system on my 396T as the signal is too choppy(see the wiki on this site covering multi site reception). Fortunetly the Holly tower broadcasts all of the Genesee County talkgroups and is receiveable throughout Genesee County south of Mt. Morris. You could have a system setup using the Holly tower frequencies to be used when you are approaching Flint and the surrounding areas.
Good Luck,
Jim

OK, that sounds like it may help. What is the frequency for the Holly tower? I would love to try it. Thanks

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.