Georgetown and Horry Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlindsay

Hello!
What scanner would you recommend for Horry and Georgetown (Possible Charleston) Counties? I see that they are trunked on the Palmetto 800. What scanner would work in all of the counties?
Thanks!
Ross

Last edited:

LarrySC

PRO-106/197 or GRE500/600 all the same. Some replys may mention BC996 ect but programming a BC is a much bigger task than PRO/GRE types. Good Luck.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
PRO-106/197 or GRE500/600 all the same. Some replys may mention BC996 ect but programming a BC is a much bigger task than PRO/GRE types. Good Luck.

Larry-
Please be fair and unbiased in future recommendations. Programming Uniden radios is NOT a "much bigger task". Just because YOU prefer GRE/Radio shack radios does not make them better radios.
To the original poster: Study over the wiki and find which model/brand of scanner has the features and options YOU want.
Disregard the advice of those who only push one brand or another as they have a vested interest in doing so.
Happy Monitoring (on either GRE/Radio Shack or Uniden)!
Marshall KE4ZNR

hntsgt

I listen to Georgetown & Horry primarily, too. Charleston is tough unless you are south of Georgetown City. I use the BCD996T (or the 396, portable version) the most since Gtown City, Williamsburg SO & all county FD tac channels are digital. I use my BCT15X mostly for Horry county, since nothing is digital there. I also have an old Pro-90 which is also capable of monitoring the Palmetto 800 for GCSO & Midway & County FD. If your only interested in the FD, you can get away with any analog scanner since all the dispatch talkgroups (including Horry) are simulcasted on VHF.

If you decide on the Uniden radios let me know & I can send you my programs or even program them for you. I am in Pawleys Island also.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hey Marshall -

Give Larry a break. The OP asked for recommendations, and that's what Larry offered. Agree with his wording or not, he answered the question.

rlindsay - I, like Larry, tend to prefer the GRE/RadioShack models, but I haven't used a "modern" Uniden so I really can't say. I can also offer you some program files for the PRO-97/164 or the PRO-106/197 for the Georgetown, Charleston and Horry County areas. I live in the upstate but visit the Grand Strand at least once a year.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Brian

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hey Marshall -

Give Larry a break. The OP asked for recommendations, and that's what Larry offered. Agree with his wording or not, he answered the question.

Brian

Brian-
Thanks for your input but I stand by my response.
As I stated earlier I would suggest that the thread starter
research all models of radios and figure out which is best for him.
Suggesting that one brand or the other is any easier to program is a
flawed statement as we all know the radios are very complex no matter whose name is stamped on the outside.
The main thing is no matter which model rlindsay decides to buy we help him out getting it up and running.
Marshall KE4ZNR

gcr33

Almost as bad as some of the fake names saying how good it is to program using one of their paid programs compared to Freescan.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Almost as bad as some of the fake names saying how good it is to program using one of their paid programs compared to Freescan.

lol, i love all my Butel software but I might break down and try Freescan one day, i really do hate paying 40$ bucks for software to program my radio once a month! lol

sfd901

I am coming down Mid February for three weeks. Can anyone send me their file for that area, including Geoorgetown area for MY RS Pro 106. I use Win500...Thanks for your assistance

marcard50

Charleston County frequencies

Does anyone have a list of frequencies for the Charleston Area of South Carolina? We travel through almost weekly and we've entered everything we can find on Radio Reference, but it's still too quiet traveling through. We travel from Georgetown to Columbia on 17 then 526 to get to I 26. Does anyone have a small list of freq that come in for this area? Thanks very much. Marc and Robin

scanchs

Suggesting that one brand or the other is any easier to program is a flawed statement as we all know the radios are very complex no matter whose name is stamped on the outside.
Marshall KE4ZNR

+1

It really depends on which brand you get used to programming. It would be a "much bigger task" for me to program a GRE/Radio Shack scanner because I'm used to programming Unidens. Neither brand is a cake walk to program if you're doing it for the first time. Of course the OP could always go with a HomePatrol or a GRE/Radio Shack equivalent so that programming isn't even necessary... :cool:

ScanCHS

Status
Not open for further replies.