Get the most out of a PRO-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiseomatic

How can I get the most out of this little radio? Currently, I just have around 47 freqs. for my area in it but I want to get the most out of it. How can I do this? Because right now, its doing something alot of cheaper models can do. And what is a "Discriminator Tap"? What does it do? What are some "mods" I can do to this radio also?
Thanks.

Last edited:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
How to get the most out of a 164

47 Frequencies you have space for 953 more. There is a lot of information here on this site if you look for it.

Pro-164 - The RadioReference Wiki

The above also has the Discriminator tap and you'll find an explanation of what it is is here too. Basically you can get pre filtered audio from the tap to decode CTCSS or DCS tones (The radio already does that) Or you can decode ACARS transmissions (This site also explains ACARS if you aren't familiar with it) Decode various formats with the tap.

Les

How can I get the most out of this little radio? Currently, I just have around 47 freqs. for my area in it but I want to get the most out of it. How can I do this? Because right now, its doing something alot of cheaper models can do. And what is a "Discriminator Tap"? What does it do? What are some "mods" I can do to this radio also?
Thanks.

Cruiseomatic

I see where to put the resistor for the discriminator tap, but where do I put the other end of the resistor? Earphone jack and if so, What post?
Trying to get the most out of this radio. I came across ATCS and interested in that also. Trying to get weather, digital decoding for ATCS and trunking. I need ALOT of help with this. I have Win97 to program the radio just don't have the $25 to buy it....Trial expired. Kinda new to scanners and trying to learn as much as I can with this one while also maximizing the usage of it by programming it, with mods, having fun, etc...

Thanks.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Programming, Discriminator, Things

The other end of the resistor is going to go on the center terminal of what ever plug you decide to install on the radio. If you are this new I'd slow down a bit and read what you can before you leap into anything other than programming the radio. As for not having the $25 to purchase Win97 there isn't much help you'll get there.

Save up the $25 and purchase it as soon as you can it will help a lot. After you get it all programmed and you get the basics under control then expand your horizons and look into other functions.

Adding a discriminator tap isn't exactly the thing for newcomers. You'll need some basic soldering skills and you will need to install some type of jack on the radio to use it, or route the wire along with a case ground wire outside of it to plug in. I think you'll want study this for some time before trying it. Maybe keep an eye on Radio Shack for a clearence on a base model like the Pro163 or the refurb for $99. It will be easier to modify and easier to place a connection on the rear of the scanner.

Maybe look at this for manual programming till you save up $25

Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

I see where to put the resistor for the discriminator tap, but where do I put the other end of the resistor? Earphone jack and if so, What post?
Trying to get the most out of this radio. I came across ATCS and interested in that also. Trying to get weather, digital decoding for ATCS and trunking. I need ALOT of help with this. I have Win97 to program the radio just don't have the $25 to buy it....Trial expired. Kinda new to scanners and trying to learn as much as I can with this one while also maximizing the usage of it by programming it, with mods, having fun, etc...

Thanks.

Cruiseomatic

As far as scanning I'm new, But not to electronics. I couldn't use the headphone jack for the tap? I've got it programmed for the time being with local PD and so forth but once I get Win97 "unlocked" I want to get Rail talkgroups and others freqs. programed.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
121.5 air SOS
156.8 marine SOS

nationwide customs aircraft freqs
282.42500 BM CSQ CBP Blue 1 Air Interdiction - Blue 1 AM Aircraft
308.35000 BM CSQ CBP Blue 2 Air Interdiction - Blue 2 AM Aircraft
350.02500 BM CSQ CBP Blue 3 Air Interdiction - Blue 3 AM Aircraft
376.07500 Blue 4

155.37000 FM Law Tac
173.07500 LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System
453.55000 National Law Enforcement Common

sometimes other county (state) has enough range. I can get 4 counties on my system

Status
Not open for further replies.