Getting back into scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am getting back into scanning and all this digital, trunking has me confused. Where do I find information to determine if my area that I want to listen to is digital or trunked?
Check the database for your area:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Then post a link here.

Here is a link to the Uniden scanners currently available. The best model will depend upon what you intend to monitor and your budget.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Scanners

Last edited:
I suggest you request to have this thread moved to the Wisconsin heading so some of the locals can comment.

To do that, click on "Report" in the lower left and ask for it to be moved. It will take a little time to be moved.

Good luck!

clbsquared

Bayfield does have some talkgroups on WISCOM. Which for the most part is VHF P25 Phase 1. And yes, according to the database, there is still an VHF analog system. However, it may or may not be active. Sometimes the database isn't updated to reflect an areas complete changeover to P25. Your best bet (unless someone can confirm it's not in use) would be to program both the analog channels and P25 system into your P25 capable scanner. Then you're covered.

whop94

Premium Subscriber
I would definitely suggest getting a Phase II digital scanner even if your area is still analog. Odds are it won't be for much longer, there is a very strong effort across the country (and world for that matter) to replace the legacy analog systems that have been around for decades. If your going to invest in a nice scanner you won't want it to become obsolete in just a couple years.

Pat

Premium Subscriber
I don't live in Bayfield County, but I do vacation there each year, and from my experience the last couple of years it seems that all of their law enforcement traffic is now on WISCOM. Fire and EMS were still using the analog channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.